Active Topics

Poll: Are you still with N900 just because you have been tied up in a contract?
Poll Options
Are you still with N900 just because you have been tied up in a contract?

My cell phone contract expires this month, I think. It was never sim locked to start with. I have, however, not found a replacement I want.

As good as the reviews of the N8 is (compared to other Nokia reviews), I find it ugly, qwerty-impaired and stylus-missing. So lacking on the I part of basic I/O. And, well, Qt or no Qt, I still think of it as Symbian. Many of the same qualities goes for the dalvik-crippled OS products, and I don't like the price - whatever it will be - or availability of the Samsung Galaxy S Pro.

I just haven't found anything I like enough, yet. I'm too greedy. That's why I bought an N900. It's lacking little in hardware functionality.

I bought my N900 last month (2nd week October) and, while it doesn't quite live up to my expectations, I think that's more because my expectations were unrealistic: having never owned a smartphone (or an "internet tablet") before, my idea about what I could do with the N900 was a bit out there. The N900 is definitely a netbook you can hold in your hand, however the lack of screen real estate and the tiny keyboard really got to me quickly and I find myself taking out my laptop for things such as this reply simply because I can type at a reasonable speed on a full-size keyboard and don't have to squint at a 15" screen versus a 4" one.

OTOH, with the USB host mode problem almost solved (a few minor(?) but annoying bugs to work out) I think running it as a netbook with a regular keyboard and mouse/trackball and a TV as a monitor is very realistic for intensive use. When I don't need that, I pack all that away and just carry it around like a phone--snazzy!

With Easy Debian (which I still haven't got around to getting all configured) I can run a lot of stuff I would on my laptop. The stuff that won't run is usually closed binaries (winblows stuff) as well as stuff that just won't run at a decent speed on this architecture (flash games).

Bottom line: I paid USD $399 with no tax or shipping for my device. It is unlocked and I bought into a no-contract plan with T-Mobile USA so I could use the HSPA (still questioning if that was a good idea as I already have an AT&T number my dad is paying for in the family plan...oh, and thanks to the spat between them, I can't roam onto AT&T there (T-Mobile has no coverage)). While my expectations were unrealistic with what I could do with this on a daily basis, they weren't ridiculously off, and I bought this--thinking it was fully discontinued--because it is the most open device made next to the OpenMoko Freerunner and has way more capabilities. I do not feel suckered (a full year after introduction and reading the forums, how could I possibly feel that way?) and didn't know they were even sold with subsidy locks. I intend to hang on to this for several years since I have no idea if the N9 or any other device introduced after will be this open again, and I dumped USD $88 to Noreve for a case and another USD $15 for a screen protector for insurance to that effect (yeah, now I know you think I'm crazy). But there is no doubt in my mind that this is a dream device for those who want to get under the hood rather than be just another appliance (l)user.

Last edited by storkus; 2010-11-10 at 01:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to storkus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xtreemneo View Post
(N900 had the rocking video ad during its release).
You know... The other N900 ad portraited the N900 as a brilliant but quirky, introverted, nerdy, paranoid, psychopathic shape shifter humanoid/cell phone out of control. If anything, Nokia tried to shake off those easily scared.

Last edited by volt; 2010-11-10 at 01:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pandora
Originally Posted by volt View Post
As good as the reviews of the N8 is (compared to other Nokia reviews), I find it ugly, qwerty-impaired and stylus-missing. So lacking on the I part of basic I/O. And, well, Qt or no Qt, I still think of it as Symbian. Many of the same qualities goes for the dalvik-crippled OS products, and I don't like the price - whatever it will be - or availability of the Samsung Galaxy S Pro.
Yeah.. its just frustrating that we cannot hav what we want..
This was really the case 15 years ago with Softwares..

How about inventing a wheel called Opensource Hardware (huge topic to consider at the moment)
I would love it..

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pandora
Originally Posted by volt View Post
You know... The N900 ad portraited the N900 as a brilliant but quirky, introverted, nerdy, paranoid, psychopathic shape shifter humanoid/cell phone out of control. If anything, Nokia tried to shake off those easily scared.
LMAO.. when i was talking about N900 and considering it for monthly contract (Little i earn in part time studentship) , My friends were having thier mouth wide open at those ads..

One of them shows of his Ip 4 OS now, Still my N900 rocks with Skype video calls, and FM transmitter on road trips

Skype video calls... I had forgotten about that. It was one of the things I missed in Maemo earlier.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Nop, I'm using it because it was the only device that made me feel like a user once again. I like the power in my hands and I like the freedom, I plenty of free apps and keyboard..LINUX!! basically I fell in love with it since day one of its announcement and I'm still am in love with it.

I hope N9 will not be disappointed and hardware specs should 4x better than N900. Otherwise my money will hold off until N10 lol Cortex-A9

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ South Africa
No contract, but i am stuck with it as i cant fine any other phone that can do what the N900 can.
Debian

The Following User Says Thank You to Ele-Mental For This Useful Post:
The n900 isnt perfect! but I still love playing with it. I was looking around for other phones when I thought i'd be able to get out of my vodafone contract... and to be honest my decision was get a new contract n sell the fone! cos I couldnt find anything that I would want to replace my n900 with... yet...

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
I bought mine unlocked, no contract and it is my constant companion. I keep several DVD's on it for travelling and when the weather is crappy etc. I plug my itsy bitsy phone into the hotel TV and enjoy them!

It truly is a pocket netbook that I can video skype and make phone calls with. The swappable batteries and very compact memory cards ice the cake for my travels. I've never had a more compact, powerful travel tool.