Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by ImDisaster View Post
Agreed, Psion way way ahead of its time. I owned Series 3's and 5's. I wouldn't have given up my 5 if it hadn't been hit by an errant basketball while sitting in my gym bag. Smashed the screen. I was soooo sad. Spent the next 10 years swapping between Palm and WM devices and never finding any of them as nice as that 5.
In fairness, the 5's screens were among the worst ever put on a device.

And there was that video cable issue...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ok, finally got mine and I have my own feedback (I will reproduce this on my internal blog).

Overall I like it. No surprise there. But I have to agree with some quibbles and add my own.

-keyboard definitely needs more space between lower device edge and upper row of keys. I'm thinking another 5mm at least. Lower edge should be sloped, too.

-zoom and other buttons should be on the top half of product body (LCD portion), not bottom half (keyboard/battery portion). They are hard to reach with keyboard extended.

-transflective screen is nice outdoors, but reflects too much indoors. I wonder if that can be overcome...

-battery cover switch is too difficult for me to lock after opening. Switch should have ridges IMO.

So far that's it. Now back to playing...

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
The keyboard problem is disheartening as such a problem should never have made it past design testing much less a focus group. Methinks someone dropped the ball... Hard...

}:^)~
YARR!!

The Original Scurvy Scoundrel

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Reviewers have made similar comments about some Nokia slider phones, like the N80. Not enough clearance. I don't get it, either (I used to be a product designer, and I wouldn't have done it as it has been done...).

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
@Textrat

The keyboard, the storage, etc, open very obvious doors for the competition that will soon offer similar Nxxx-like devices when prices/technology allow. The iPhone was/is adored because perceivably apple paid attention to the details. The N810 was/is criticized tremendously for precisely the opposite. Considering the size and reach of Nokia, it hints at a lack of vision from within.

Still, the strategy is a five parter, and this isn't the end. We'll see if the Internet Tablet grows into its potential, or hands it off to another that has superlative vision.

}:^)~
YARR!!

Capt'n *cough* Corrupt