Active Topics

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Does anyone know if the Bluetooth has anything to do with Wifi connections on the N900?

I recently bought the BH-214 and it has worked well, save for one annoying feature. Anytime I sit at my desk, the link is great and everything is peachy. I get up and walk through the data center, or even to the other office and get between repeaters, the wifi has to hop, and the bluetooth just stops for seconds. The media player keeps running, it reconnects fine and pairing doesn't drop, but at times it is a drop of 3-5seconds.

Has anyone seen this before, is it a known bug with 1.3, or a previous issue that has yet to be resolved?

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
I recall reading that the same antenna is used for wifi as well as bluetooth. Because of this, up until PR 1.2, bluetooth and wifi could not be used simultaneously without either one or both connections dropping frequently or jamming each other. PR 1.2 was an improvement fromdropping the instant you tried wifi+BT to dropping after 5 minutes.
In PR 1.3, I've been able to have a 30 minute long conversation over skype on wifi using my BT headphones with little or no problems.

I haven't been able to test walking across multiple wifi APs to find out if that works.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
If it's any consolation, a similar thing happens on my E71 as well.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Good to hear, makes sense that since it is the same antenna, the hardware just can't pipe media AND hop to a new AP without some drop.

I 'could' start yelling about how this is a terrible thing and it should be fixed, but tbh as long as I know it's a hardware not software thing, oh well, just roll with it and try not to cross to a new AP when getting my dethklok on.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
Good to hear, makes sense that since it is the same antenna, the hardware just can't pipe media AND hop to a new AP without some drop.

I 'could' start yelling about how this is a terrible thing and it should be fixed, but tbh as long as I know it's a hardware not software thing, oh well, just roll with it and try not to cross to a new AP when getting my dethklok on.
I don't advise yelling, however:
The fact remains that only when the bugs are noticed and reported can Nokia actually assign resources to fix it.
Once you see the range of improvement in the bt+wifi stacks and notice that bugs were created against these problems and consistently watched, commented on and voted for by this community and Nokia, it should be obvious that if you face a problem, ask, then if confirmed by others, file a bug.

tl;dr: That bug may very well be "unfixable", but still file a bug here, because without that it won't even get a chance of being fixed.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.