Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
The left side of the usb port was too inaccessable to try get a soldering tip in without risking melting the ribon cable going up to the board above the usb port.
It's not too hard to open both metal cages next to the USB port carefully with a needle or very thin screwdriver. Then, the upper board with the lids of the cages glued on will swing away, giving more room for soldering.

I had to open that cage recently, because I needed to rework the eMMC for bad data connection after the phone had dropped.

Looks like there might be enough space to replace with a full size usb port... now there would be a cool mod.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Nagercoil, India
My usb port gone out and i am trying to solder the connections manually to the PCB. i have done all except the pin4.
Is the pin4(ID) of the USB is necessary for flashing the mobile.
Whats the use of it when the mobile is connected to the PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to binu_ji For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I just bought a second hand N900, the USB port is still in good condition but I am thinking about doing the epoxy method to prevent any damage (I have already filed the tabs on the USB cable)

Is there any feedback from someone who did this a year ago about the long term results of this procedure?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by freebeerz View Post
Is there any feedback from someone who did this a year ago about the long term results of this procedure?
reinforced with epoxy jan 2010 & still working great.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zoner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by freebeerz View Post
Hi,

I just bought a second hand N900, the USB port is still in good condition but I am thinking about doing the epoxy method to prevent any damage (I have already filed the tabs on the USB cable)

Thanks!
I've done it a year ago too (and have the pictures to prove it :P ) and it's still holding perfectly. I also filed down the hooks on all my micro USB cables, which undoubtedly helps a lot as well. Mind you, my N900 has been charged or connected to the PC at least once a day, sometimes more.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
I recently lost a N900 due to the usb port falling off, I'm going to try this as soon as my new one arrives, because other than the usb port i never had any issues... (and that n900 was going on 1 year+ of heavy use)

Are the tabs on the usb cables the 2 tiny clip things on the underside?

Yeah same questions, are those 2 tiny long clips the tabs u are referring to??

Originally Posted by lucky88shp View Post
Yeah same questions, are those 2 tiny long clips the tabs u are referring to??
Yes they are the two small "hooks" that are clearly visible in this picture:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...B_USB_Plug.jpg

I suppose you could also remove them with small pliers, but filing them is probably cleaner.

Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
how to make slider smooth again. my slider is very tight now.
It has made scratches on my keyboard both sides