Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I just read something two pages back in this thread that more or less confirms my frustration with the mind-numbing inability people seem to have to figure things out.

UBoot does not make charging impossible or a problem. Okay, I am pretty sure you can't boot normally, with the charger out, and then stick the charger in while it's on the uboot screen, and get it to start charging that way. But I know for a fact that if your N900 is off, and you plug it in to the charger, you will get a light-less uboot screen. Which, if you DON'T TOUCH, will complete its countdown and then load the kernel, which will THEN drop into the normal off-but-charging mode.

I don't know how you people didn't figure that out. Okay, maybe some hardware revisions play differently with uboot. Maybe. But I kinda doubt it. So what I really think is that the people who killed their battery unable to charge didn't have the patience to sit there for a few minutes after plugging in the cable when their device was off. That, or the kernel attached to their uboot was f'ed up, and then that's not really uboot's problem.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-11-19 at 17:06. Reason: clarified first sentence

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by scribbles View Post
It sounds like it's all hit or miss. Pretty much like overclocking... Some devices do fine and others not so much. I currently have v40 and when v42 came out I read of problems but nothing like .45 or .46. I have the update for .46 sitting in the download queue but I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet... Maybe this weekend

v46 appears to work fine. On first boot of it the Nokia handshake video was truncated but the device continued to boot normally after that, I have the ULV 250MHz/1.1GHz as my default profile for Overclocking. It is running smoothly.

Note - I didn't have any showstopping issues with v45. I did have some weird charging issues such as a minute or two after hooking up the charger and getting the charge system sound and announcement that it was charging I'd get the system sound and announcement again. I trust these kernels so much I at first thought it was a USB issue. But there is no evidence to suggest this is the case.

Camera, Fcamera, BlessN900 all function as expected.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I think the tail is wagging the dog here...

Instead of pulling from the devel repo and reporting problems with new features with that version. We should instead be reporting and Voting on version 42 in testing.

>> http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing/QA_Checklist

>> http://maemo.org/packages/package_in....6.28-maemo42/

That way this testing version either gets promoted or bugs get squashed and the subsequent versions in devel move up the queue...

Those wanting to report bugs with the devel versions should:

Life as it should be.

For those interested in overclocking with PR1.3, version 42 in testing has worked fine for me with none of the other problems reported in this thread.

Camera works, mass storage works...
HEAR HEAR!!

I really wish there was a more foolproof and reliable method for people to do exactly as you suggest, but sadly people are .... not always that foolproof and reliable

version .42 works beautifully for me as well and hasn't presented a lick of instability yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bingley Joe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Okay, maybe some hardware revisions play differently with uboot. Maybe. But I kinda doubt it.
Well you can continue to have your doubts, but for me it's a reality that v44 with revision 2204 hardware did not boot. I have never before installed multiboot/uboot/nitdroid or anything like that. My SD card has just the single, factory default fat partition.

I got a problem in installing h-e-n.... anyone know what is the problem???
Attached Images

i install linux-kernel-power-headers... then install i2c...

my h-e-n worked...

so what is linux-kernel-power-headers needed for??

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
HEAR HEAR!!

I really wish there was a more foolproof and reliable method for people to do exactly as you suggest, but sadly people are .... not always that foolproof and reliable

version .42 works beautifully for me as well and hasn't presented a lick of instability yet.
Then vote it up and simply copy and paste your comments from this thread.

The only foolproof and reliable method for people to do this, is to just begin doing this... Savvy?

I did find that the testing version 42, broke Jace's FMTXD binary since voting but, that is to be expected. I will reinstall his patch and see what cooks. I will then do the same... (copy and paste), my comments from this thread.

SLN member # 009

How is v46 of power kernel?

I was afraid of installing it...

working fine, but i dont think it has too much difference from v45.

btw why are we using linux-2.6.28 when there is released linux-2.6.35, im sure there is a good explanation but dunno what it is?

jus... no uboot...