Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
This is why I believe that attention to detail > specs. The Tab is raved about by anyone that actually uses it and not in an Apple distortion field.

It seems like a very good all around device, that you don't have to compromise for.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
More games come to Android! OpenFeint has released 8 more titles for Android:

http://an.droid-life.com/2010/11/23/...rowth-numbers/

Here's the list:
  • Jet Car Stunts
  • Frogger
  • Bomberman Dojo
  • Must. Eat. Birds
  • Solipskier
  • aTilt 3D Labyrinth
  • Word Mix
  • Kilgamore Castle

Aparently, they have sold a whopping 8 million games, and are porting some 300 titles to the platform

Android gaming is here to stay. By the way: OpenFeint games work very well on the Tab

Here's the Jet Car Stunts game on the iPhone. It looks fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD3HezVwWIo

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2010-11-23 at 17:49.

It seems that Acer just announced their 10" and 7" tablets. It seems that the release is April of next year. If other manufacturers follow the same schedule you can expect that tablets are going to be taking off sometime around the summer.

Interestingly they have at least one Win7 option, which should be good for loading Ubuntu or for 'real' productivity.

To keep this Tab related: The largest competitor will be the coming iPad refresh for some time. I suspect the Tab successor will be released in the fall -- with the reputed dual-core Orion, it may prove to be the tablet to beat.

Those that are willing to wait, strap yourselves in. You're going to be waiting for a while.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I suspect the Tab successor will be released in the fall -- with the reputed dual-core Orion, it may prove to be the tablet to beat.
And possible super-amoled screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
And possible super-amoled screen.
Drooool. A 7" SAMOLED would be a sight to see!

I'm also hoping that v2.3/v3.0 further extend battery life on these devices. I'd love to get 8-10hours of hard-core video usage on this device. That would make me ok with a non-replaceable battery.

I'll likely buy the next version that can handle desktop apps (eg. ubuntu running in Android), and if it is the Tab2 for next year, so be it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Lots of great info in this thread thanks Capt'n, I lurk here regularly as a result. It's worthy of a dedicated Tab site or blog imo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Lots of great info in this thread thanks Capt'n, I lurk here regularly as a result. It's worthy of a dedicated Tab site or blog imo.
Thanks Andy! I just use this thread to kill time until I get my Tab, but I'm glad that others find it interesting/informative. I've honestly been wanting a 3G ultimate-convergence device for a LONG time. I *tried* to talk myself into getting a smartphone (first the N900, then the Galaxy S), but I couldn't see myself using it for long periods (the N810 that I own is tough enough already) and figured that I would eventually go back to the laptop. I'm too cheap to just throw $500 into just anything. When I heard that tablets were coming out, I knew it was time to dive in.

I'm rarely out and about, so a small smartphone screen around the home isn't terribly attractive. I have a laptop, but even that's not comfortable to use in a variety of lounging situations (eg. in bed or on the couch), as typing becomes very difficult unless sitting upright. But a tablet is perfect.

I still like to be connected when I'm out, which is something that I've been missing with my N810. This is where the 3G is a very positive feature. I suspect that people that already *have* smartphones will be less excited about this feature, but I suspect having to tether, charge and carry two devices can't be all that much fun. It's funny, but I've learned that it's the little inconveniences that can add up to make a poor user experience.

For example, I have a laptop which works well enough, but the battery life is so terrible, and the thing is so heavy that that it kills the user experience. I wish manufacturers really paid attention to the little touches and actually used their products at length before throwing them out into the market. Apple seems to do this, and Samsung seems to as well. Their devices are polished and a pleasure to use, rather than devices that you have to compromise to use at every turn.

Plus, I'm very impressed with the growth and design decisions that have gone into Android. There are plenty of applications, it runs well, and shows little signs of going obsolete. Plus, it's open, which is a nice touch, and has attracted quite a large hacking community. This is the reason I could never buy an Apple product. For as slick as their interface is, it's designed as a platform to keep you buying and once its time is up, it's quickly forgotten. In my experience, open systems tend to have longer lives.

The Tab is the best example of a convergence device to date (IMO) and it's executed very, very well. It combines so many devices into one that it's almost a steal at the price its being offered for. Sure it isn't the best in many things, but from the reviews it performs its tasks so well, as to provide a polished and fun user experience. Plus, I appreciate the high quality componentry that has gone into the unit. The touch-panel is very high quality, as is the screen, the build, the SoC, and the battery. This is well worth the extra money.

I'm really interested in other devices as well. I'd like to see what a MeeGo tablet looks like, and what Apple will continue to bring into this space. But it will be extremely hard (from my perspective anyhow) to beat what the Tab offers such a solid balance of design, features, and potential.

Forgive the sloppy writing. I'm actually going through a tough time in my relationship, so my emotions are all over the place.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/23/a...480-screen-re/

Just another phone/tablet for people to keep in mind

4.8", 1024*480

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Woah! This is crazy! It seems that this guy is playing the old Arcade classic Virtua Cop on the Tab, using a Galaxy S as the light gun...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW2DiiSRyHw

Is this fake? I don't think that there's a Saturn emulator for Android, and I've not heard of Virtua Cop for PSX, or native Android.

It's probably fake!

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy