As a programmer, you still be developing for Maemo?. I mean, Symbian 3 and Meego will come soon, ¿what will happen to Maemo 5, the same thing happened to Maemo 4 that was forgotten (two years ago does not receive an update)?.
So what do you think? You should continue developing for Maemo or should wait for Meego?.

Originally Posted by Michmo View Post
You should continue developing for Maemo or should wait for Meego?.
Start programming with Qt and you'll be developing for Maemo5 whilst learning for MeeGo at the same time

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
If you develop something in QT for Maemo it should be pretty easy to port it to Meego later.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
As the people above say... The latest N900 firmware even does Qt Quick, which means that essentially (from the app developer viewpoint) the two are almost the same target (as long as you don't touch platform level APIs, of course).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
But is possible port a app 100%? I don´t need to change anything from the source code of my app?.
If i make a app for Maemo 5 that depend of the desktop, status bar, control panel and other stuffs, not will be problem to port it later?

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
You can code easily for the n900 and depending on the specifics yes you may need to add coed, but you can add lines like (pseudo)
if maemo
do this

or if symbian
do this

Therefore you can cater for both
But in most cases porting should be easy if you code well
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
As a programmer, you still be developing for Maemo?.
Yes
I mean, Symbian 3 and Meego will come soon, ¿what will happen to Maemo 5, the same thing happened to Maemo 4 that was forgotten (two years ago does not receive an update)?.
Why is this relevant.
As long as there are users.

So what do you think? You should continue developing for Maemo or should wait for Meego?.
Imagin what would happen, if all developers of this
community would wait for MeeGo, instead of developing
apps for maemo.

Nicolai

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
But is possible port a app 100%?
Well, my experience is that there is no such thing like 100% portability as in meaning: use the very same code everywhere.
I tried with Java plus SWT and now with Qt but sooner or later you'll discover aspects which need to be taken care of differently depending on the platform/OS (whatever you call it).
Of course this highly depends on your application and what you are doing with it but "higher level frameworks" such as Qt help you keeping a very high percentage of platform independent code.

By the way, Qt is much more then "just" a GUI solution, it really aids in developing platform independent code in many many fields.

Edit:
By the way, I am my best customer when it comes to developed applications.

Last edited by Wonko; 2010-11-25 at 22:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
Imagin what would happen, if all developers of this
community would wait for MeeGo, instead of developing
apps for maemo.

Nicolai
Yes, but i mean if i made an application in which i spent much of my time, i would not like it were for a "death" platform and need to recode again .

Yes, but i mean if i made an application in which i spent much of my time, i would not like it were for a "death" platform and need to recode again .
I'd recommend to use Qt and just start with it.
You'll be surprised how much of your code can be reused across different platforms.
By the way, I develop my "N900 Qt applications" as "common Linux Qt applications" using Qt Creator and then essentially only "recompile" these for the N900 in scratchbox.
Of course, you have to keep limitations like the small screen size in mind in order for your applications being actually usable on the N900 (but my guess is that this will be the same for mobile MeeGo devices ).
Though, for most simple applications the whole process is really straight forward.

Edit:
Developing for "different platforms" with Qt not only means developing for Maemo and Meego but also for other "common/desktop" Linux Distributions and even Windows or MacOS.
So your potential user base will be pretty big.

Last edited by Wonko; 2010-11-25 at 22:31.

Tags
my head hurts