Active Topics

short story:
My N900 will not find my wifi router, gps satellite, sd card, nor adequately pair with my BT keyboard and most of the time the file manager won't work and if it does not work I cannot kill it with the not responding popup. Also, the camera has a cloudy part that takes up the upper right hand quarter and will not focus.

long story:
I bought it as a "Bricked" item from Ebay. I was told by the seller that he was very sure it was just software. I got it to work to its present state by replacing the battery with one I bought off the internet real cheap $7 because the battery that came with it was stone dead. It started up with the existing software but the items I described didn't work so I completely re-flashed it with "combined" then "vanilla" without rebooting between flashes and it still fails to bring up the above mentioned devices. My next step is to take it apart and probe for correct voltages to see if a regulator is gone. I will do that unless I get help from this forum on fixing it. Thanks for your anticipated help.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Netherlands

Thanks for the thread link. I could not glean a definitive solution from it. I tried loading the kernel and rootfs separately. I tried a cold flash of the combined firmware image with attempts having no change on unit.

all voltages check out. now i'm back to software problem.
Anybody out there with any ideas?

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
It was water dunked man, bet good money on it. Wouldn't show up on inspection either. Bought alot of "dead" device's from ebay sellers ... nearly all of em claim in one way or another it's software issues or a bad flash etc. Imo your wasting your time, sorry.

One thing all those components have in common is that there are cables involved with all of them. Makes sense for the water dunk theory, tends to corrode the cable plugs/sockets first.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
try to google image search 'n900 solution'
you can find voltage readings
http://www.mygsmbd.com/nokia-hard-hw...ion-kbgsm.html
then just mail it to a 3rd world country where they can fix it for $1/hr
good luck with that

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ greece
how much did u buy the device ? ( just out of curiosity :P )

I do think it was water dunked. It appears that there was an indicator next to the battery but it is just a round indent with no paper dot (that's if N900 comes with an indicator). If it was dunked... then the seller lied.
Thanks for the replies... they did help! I will continue to try to fix it and will update on my progress if I actually make any. I paid about $175 for it.