Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by Michmo View Post
Yes, but i mean if i made an application in which i spent much of my time, i would not like it were for a "death" platform and need to recode again .
I think you should really give QT a try. Writing portable code becomes easier as you become more experienced with QT.
QT helps to write portable code, but it doesn't stop you from writing platform specific things.
In other words, making your application portable is entirely your responsibility, even if QT is doing quite a lot of the work.

Many people consider Maemo as a "dead" platform - all I can say to those folks is "too bad - you missed out on a terrific platform that will help you get to market faster on Meego"
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
¿what will happen to Maemo 5, the same thing happened to Maemo 4 that was forgotten (two years ago does not receive an update)?.
Maemo 4 received a community update earlier this year. And plans are starting for a community update to Maemo 5.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
But is possible port a app 100%? I don´t need to change anything from the source code of my app?.
If i make a app for Maemo 5 that depend of the desktop, status bar, control panel and other stuffs, not will be problem to port it later?
With Python+Qt you can mostly accomplish that. For example, try this code:

Code:
from PyQt4.QtCore import *
from PyQt4.QtGui import *
from PyQt4.QtWebKit import *

app=QApplication([])
win=QMainWindow()
w=QWebView(win)
win.setCentralWidget(w)
w.setUrl(QUrl("http://www.google.com/"))
win.show()
app.exec_()
It runs perfectly under maemo, Linux, Windows XP and Windows 7. I'm also very confident that it will work as-is in symbian but I can't test that.

The Following User Says Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:
Well, thanks to everybody for your answers, i'm not a programmer but i can understand all you told me, i have planned something and needed to know if i can count on Maemo.

Conclusion:
Yes, worth program to Maemo because this platform that will help you get to market faster on Meego, if you program with Qt will be easier to port to other platforms, but making your application portable depends on you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Michmo For This Useful Post:

Tags
my head hurts