for god's sake people........Qt is Nokia's answer to a larger install base and something developers should target because of that. move on, get a new phone. your life isn't going to end just because Nokia stopped supporting the N900.

i just find it strange that people expect Nokia to have more skin in the game on a platform that they (and we) know will be deprecated with the arrival of MeeGo. the only thing in common is Qt and since nobody runs a charity, profits will be driving many of the decisions to come.

i don't feel shortchanged by Nokia. i love my N900 for what it can do and I will use it till its little circuits die from old age. and then only will I worry about what to move on to.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
oh, yes, and i learned a long time ago, if you want something done right, you have to do it on your own.

if nokia refuses to release the source code for the media player, we should replace it with our own media player.
if nokia refuses to release the source code for the calendar app, we should replace it with our own calendar app.

sure there will be integration issues but hey, whoever thought the NITDroid project would be something someone could pull off before the announcement was made?

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Didn't know some people are still suprised by this kind of news..

Anyways, I'm happy with that the N900 has delivered to me, and I am still use it, and will still likely to use it until I find the true successor for the N900, might be the N9-00, or the N9-01.. or maybe something else..

I am looking forward for MeeGo, hoping that it will have the same things that Maemo did offer plus more, main important feature for me would be skype built in like Maemo5.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by arnoldux View Post
i think we should ust give more support to the NITDROID proyect to make it the new OS on the n900 and make it Ndroid.
Uh... NitDroid is not full open source. It's the worst of two worlds. It has droid-based blobs, and sits on top of those and drivers hacked from Nokia-based blobs for the N900 specific hardware. Going to NitDroid, the only thing more "open" are the native apps and UI. The hardware level stuff is still just as closed.

That's not to say it's bad. I would love to see NitDroid running on the N900. I'd also love to see a VM or chroot level setup running under Maemo, so we could run Android apps on the N900, the way we can now run Pre apps via pre-env now. (I'd also like large sum of money so I could stop working for "the man" and devote more time to opensource projects, and a time machine so I could tell my past self to go to the gym earlier in life...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Clubberlang View Post
Give me a break. You can't scroll a webpage without screen tearning.
If you fullscreen it you can, but IIRC this is a problem mostly to do with X11 and not the N900/maemo itself, and is shared across all platforms that use X11.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
Source ?
Ah, hello there! I see you must have only just joined the conversation and missed some of the conversation. That's alright. Welcome!

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Is that for Maemo or QT though? I can see why you would stop developing only for Maemo if you have a commercial interest (no future platform, small userbase, etc..). Now is Instinctiv a QT app that can run on any QT 4.7 platform, or is it a N900 specific application?
It's for Maemo, clearly, but that has the effect of also choking off developing that same product for MeeGO (QT) because they've already told them to hold off developing for Maemo.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
@ jflatt

I believe those comments are made with reference to the experience of Instictiv, and their decision to discontinue development of their application.

I don't think it was ever realistic to expect a thriving market for commercial applications on the N900. The user base is too small. The experience of Instinctiv has no bearing on the feasibility of developing applications using Qt. Their decision was based on economics, and nothing to do with technical considerations.
Precisely! On all points, you're on the mark.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
no sorry. I am from the future and I can tell the n900 will live happily ever after.
Oooo.. tsss, sorry, lad. It truly does sound like you just arrived here from about a year ago. I think you got all turned-around. That's understandable if you're depending on OviMaps, though.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Android maybe is more open with the sources but you forget the fact that Google doesnt give a **** of "sourcecode" theyre only intrested in web and control people that way. Bussines as usual.

Atm. Android is hyped as hell atleast in my country and that makes atleast me from that kind of ****...

But I agree that Meego + Intel seems to be a mistake so far...

Can only hope that Nokia holds back ALOT of UI/backend handset stuff and comes up with some suprises in april 2011...
Right, then. Can we have the English version of your message, now, so that we can at least have half a chance of understanding your blatherings?

I at least understood the part where you stated some sort of agreement about MeeGo and Intel being a mistake--which is absolutely not what I communicated. I, in fact, pointed out that if MeeGo succeeds, it's DESPITE Nokia and probably more to Intel's credit given Maemo's history with Nokia so far.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
A few notes - Android operates in a fundamentaly different way so these comparisons are apples and oranges. When you talk about the open Android, you forget the 'flavor', the things vendors (do not) put in. Just because something is Android based, that doesn't mean you would not have kernel driver issues, potential lack of source of it's Sense/Blur/YouNameIt interface, etc. Also, Google's cloud services seem to liberate them from open source expectations, as if something executing on a server makes the source irrelevant. Well, if I need to call a web service in blackbox fashion, it IS as bad as a binary blob (in fact, it's a bit worse, as at least the blob can't be taken away from me as easily). Thus the bottom line is you should be comparing generic Android with generic Linux, and (service backed) vendor implementations with other vendor implementations.
I can understand where you're coming from with this and I can agree with some of it, but I think that the openness on the device is a far cry more important (as that's the thing I own and bought and should have the right to tinker with). If a closed application sits atop of an open operating system (or very, far more open one than Maemo has been), it's a VAST improvement over my ability to have the device and operating system *I* want to run regardless of these applications that communicate with the web. Especially since Google began untying the apps from the OS, thereby freeing me up even moreso and allowing me the TRUE option of running alternatives that don't HAVE to come with the firmware image. As time goes on, I think the carriers will also see that adding crapware and excluding things from the OS will hamper sales of their products over their competitors who don't practice this. This competition doesn't even exist in the Maemo world at all. MeeGo is still far too narrow to see this type of competitiveness but I have high hopes (but cynical expectations, given Nokia is involved) that MeeGo will be good enough to operate above that sort of skivvy level operations that the likes of phone carriers are perfectly willing to. We'll see.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Wait...when did Nokia ever support N900? lol
Ever since the existing of this device...we're left alone doing our own things...occasionally, they update the PR and that's about it. Where exactly is the support?? Am i missing something?? They delay the Ovi store...they delay the device...no voice navigation....i am not missing anything.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to romanianusa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
cant agree more

The Following User Says Thank You to t0mbola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
stops support for symbian os 9.x 3rd edition, now maemo 5. i wont be surprised if the Symbian^1 would be next.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It's for Maemo, clearly, but that has the effect of also choking off developing that same product for MeeGO (QT) because they've already told them to hold off developing for Maemo.
It seems that they were told to develop for QT for the Symbian phones if they wanted a platform they could sell something on right now. Why Nokia didn't just tell them to develop in QT and deploy across all QT platforms who knows.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest