Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
You do realize Joli has full Linux under the Hood and Chrome Os will NOT!!
Sure. I'm not after Linux-only OS, just pointing out that for my personal use Joli, at the time, didn't cut it. For the netbook I've literally gone through a dozen distros and I really was looking forward to a cloud OS. So, enter Chrome OS and I'll take a peek. Maybe I'll give Joli 1.2 or whatever a shot when the time comes.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Somewhere out West
Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
Sure. I'm not after Linux-only OS, just pointing out that for my personal use Joli, at the time, didn't cut it. For the netbook I've literally gone through a dozen distros and I really was looking forward to a cloud OS. So, enter Chrome OS and I'll take a peek. Maybe I'll give Joli 1.2 or whatever a shot when the time comes.
This will explain it better. I have Joli installed on my Samsung Q1. If I can find a browser to play nice with Joli on my N800 tablet it would be real sweeeet!! http://www.thinkdigit.com/Features/W...e-OS_3907.html

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Here's how i see Joli vs. Chrome: Joli is an OS minus most resource heavy software (substituted by the cloud apps) and Chrome will be a browser plus some OS-style functionalities. Both will do most tasks well, and on the fringe, only the super user will care about the differences.

By no means am I ditching Joli for Chrome. Just giving cloud based OS's another shot in general, through Chrome and eventually Joli again. Google has the advantage of being the 800-pound gorilla in the room, so hardware manufacturers will listen what the big guy wants. The Joli OS devs otoh have to listen to the hardware manufacturers. Might not make that big of a difference in the end as we've seen on the iOS (everything built in-house) vs Android battle (common OS for plethora of hardware)

"The Cake Is A Lie"

It looks like alot of people do like riding the Google bandwagon, yes when it comes out they will have an advantage. The thing I would like to see is Maemo hitching a ride in same wagon We have no app store worth a damn and looks like Nokia's wagon has no wheels. This looks interesting http://www.xpud.org/index.en.html Boys we need to build us a wagon! or steal one.

In simple English people on this Forum like to whine about not having any apps. The solution is how do we graft on to a platform that has some ready apps. We can't ride the Apple Os wagon not the Android wagon (We have no Java) but hey maybe we can ride in the Joli or Google Os wagon

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Am I stupid or something.
Just looked around
http://www.jolicloud.com
I do not still completely understand what the F is this about. There is download for ISO file there is link to chrome and WEB 2.0 icons and screenshot and and and...so once again it looks like I have to go youtube and actually see what the heck this is. Is it too much to ask to have proper about page? From ground to top what this Jolicloud means. Is it OS with possibility to run multiple apps at once. Can I run spotify inside chrome? (they have screenshot with spotify icon inside chrome)

.edit
And most importantly what happens when you go offline? This is always first thing that comes to my mind. n+1 different scenarios while you are doing many different stuff at once.

Last edited by slender; 2010-12-14 at 08:27.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Am I stupid or something.
Just looked around
http://www.jolicloud.com
I do not still completely understand what the F is this about. There is download for ISO file there is link to chrome and WEB 2.0 icons and screenshot and and and...so once again it looks like I have to go youtube and actually see what the heck this is. Is it too much to ask to have proper about page? From ground to top what this Jolicloud means. Is it OS with possibility to run multiple apps at once. Can I run sportify inside chrome? (they have screenshot with spotify icon inside chrome)

.edit
And most importantly what happens when you go offline? This is always first thing that comes to my mind. n+1 different scenarious while you are doing many different stuff at once.
Wiki here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolicloud

Posts: 265 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
Hi, I know they Axed the Chrome browser here. I have been wondering if this works for the N900 yet. I only have N800 so can't test. You people that have Chrome installed in Fremantle may want to try. I would like very much some feedback.
it doesnt work with chromium, it says that i have to update the version of chrome, but u cant update it.
"Heads up! You're currently using an older version of Google Chrome. Update to the latest version to install items from the Chrome Web Store"
and the whole menu with the icons like the iphone os doesnt even appear too.
so basically nothing works

Originally Posted by flipalong View Post
it doesnt work with chromium, it says that i have to update the version of chrome, but u cant update it.
"Heads up! You're currently using an older version of Google Chrome. Update to the latest version to install items from the Chrome Web Store"
and the whole menu with the icons like the iphone os doesnt even appear too.
so basically nothing works
Thanks for trying, maybe someone smarter then both of us can find a solution

It looks like Chrome Os will not be playing nice with Maemo. It might only want to play nice with its sidekick Android when it comes out This is why they don't want Chrome browser on Maemo Damn! you Google You stole Skyfire from my Htc touch pro now this