Active Topics

[QUOTE=doksng;895828]
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post

I have both the N900 and Tab and I sync my contacts using outlook on both the tab and N900 and works well. This should work for you as you use windows.

The tab comes with a wired headset as you had confirmed previosly
Thanks. Don't have access to Outlook (is there a free version?) so used Nuevasync. Not sure if it synced all my contacts though as showing lower number than N900. Also it is only a free trial but that doesn't matter. Just needed someway to get the contacts on to gmail before I bought the Tab,

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Swype is very easy to learn, all you really have to "remember" about it is that to get two consecutive letters that are the same, you must do a slight zig-zag on top of the letter without raising your finger.

However, typing on a HW keyboard is always faster than on any touch-screen using any method.
Or you can make a tiny circle (that's what I do... I loop over repeating characters. In general, you never raise your finger during a word in Swype, yep. I disagree about HW keyboards--a hardware keyboard does NOT always type faster. I almost never bother to slide out the keyboard on my Droid. I type VASTLY faster on the screen, even on the smaller screen of the Droid.

Could you ellaborate on that? Maybe you may have a solution for me. I want to carry a cheap phone with me as well as the Tab. I already have unlimited internet access on my current phone contract. Want to just take out my sim, slot it in the Tab and use ny unlimited internet there. But I want to use the cheap phone (or the N900 it seems now that the wife has ruled that the Tab is not just for me) to receive my calls. Is there a way to get the phone to receive the calls with the sim card being in the Tab and not the phone?
What I mean is that I have service on both my Tab (5GB/month, data only--Verizon doesn't allow voice calls on the Tab. Jackasses.) I also have service on my Droid (Unlimited data and 1400 minutes voice shared with family). 90% of the time, my Tab uses wifi, but on the go I use the 3G data. For web browsing, gaming, everything else I use the Tab. By mainly using my Tab and saving my Droid's battery power, I've had days upon days between needing to charge my Droid even though I still use it for tracking my finances, password vault, news reading, etc.

Are you sure it is set to Swype? Played with the Tab at a different store yesterday and it was set to normal keyboard I think. Unless it was set to swype but you can still type on the swype keyboard. To be honest I completely forgot about trying swype. Will definitely try it out when I get the Tab. I lost a bit of interest in it because i read there is a learning curve and I think I heard somewhere that it is not needed on a device with such a big screen.
My Galaxy Tab came, by default out of the box, with Swype enabled already. I had to intentionally switch it to try out the Samsung keyboard... then decided to switch back. I didn't much like the Samsung keyboard at all. I'm not sure what kind of learning curve you would need on a keyboard where you effectively just swish your finger around instead of tapping. :P For all the weird little things like repeating characters and stuff, Swype will occasionally pop up a little help screen when it thinks you meant to do these things and learns not to keep popping up annoyingly too. Again--I don't see ANY downside. It works FLUIDLY and I easily go between swiping and tapping with Swype depending on what feels better.

Your Motorola has a hardware keyboard doesn't it? Would you say you are faster on that or on the Tab using swype? If (as seems likely now) I will be keeping the N900 I want to decide which I will be using to take notes. On that point what would you say is the king of Android note taking apps? My trawling the web has produced Noite Everything as probably most suitable for me. I have about 300 Tomboy notes (and counting) and need an app that I can easily find notes just by entering key words. Note Everything seems to have that and the bonus of being able to sync with google docs. A bit disappointed that the N900 has a Tomboy note app (Conboy) and Android does not. There is Tomdroid but it can only view notes and not edit. So if I am going to be using the Tab for note taking I need to copy and paste all my notes and reformat because there is no way to export Tomboy notes without losing formatting (or at least I have not yet found any way to do so).
I am FAR better typing on the Tab's Swype than on the Android keyboard, Samsung keyboard, and DEFINITELY faster than typing on the Droid's hardware keyboard. I like slide-out keyboards, but the Droid's is awful to begin with.. and I've found that screen-typing has always been better for me anyway and makes the hardware a lot cheaper and lighter, too.

My favorite note-taking app so far has been an app called "Catch Notes" by catch.com. It does everything from plain old text note-taking all the way to snapping images in notes, barcode scanning into notes (beeps and pastes the barcode data into the note), GPS recording into notes, etc.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Has anyone actually gone out to getting one of these? 159 pages later it seems we're still just discussing it based on what we see on YouTube!
Excuse me? I'm not discussing anything based only on what I see on YouTube. I own one and I know I'm not the only one here on the thread that got one. Didn't you read even the last few posts where I pointed out my experiences with the Tab? I even had some LONG ones a few back about my trip across the US with my Tab on a train. Sheesh.

I've had some downtime with this device, but I'm not sure what might be biggest questions you guys might have.

It's basically the Android 2.2 experience on a bigger screen with modified calendar and mail apps. The browser's a bit jerky, but the thing plays video files thrown at it quite nicely. But again, only stuff that works for most Android 2.2 devices works here.
Uhhhh... that's like saying that a netbook experience is the same as a larger laptop--only with a smaller screen. Duh. That's sort of the point--including the higher resolution (it's not just a bigger screen, it's a higher resolution screen at 1024x600)

First, the mail app isn't modified--but yes, the calendar app is PHENOMENAL. I loooove the calendar app a lot better than my Droid's. Second, the browser hasn't seemed jerky at ALL to me. Mind you, I ended up replacing it with Dolphin anyway because I prefer it--but in the case of both browsers, I've not seen ANY jerkiness at all. Lastly, saying 'only stuff that works for most Android 2.2 devices works here' sounds hilarious. That's like saying, again, 'only stuff that works for most laptops work on netbooks.' Dude. It's the same OS. I would HOPE that's the case.

The iPad is a more esthetic experience IMO, but with the TAB you can actually get stuff done, if you're into mobile version websites and mobile version apps of common services etc. Out of the two I would go with the TAB, since its more "future proof" as it could support 2.3->> versions of Android.
The only thing aesthetically more pleasant about the iPad is the larger screen--which also happens to be why it's far less practical than the Tab and much less portable. If you're into desktop version websites, you can tell your web browser on the Tab to display the DESKTOP website. I've covered that ad nausium all over several threads in the forum here. Dolphin makes it very easy by putting the agent option RIGHT in the main setup menu. It's okay, you can be forgiven for not realizing that a mobile web page is decided by the web browser's agent string, if you never actually use the web browsers on an Android device (or Nokia N900--where you can also change the agent), etc. It's the WEB SITE that decides how to show you the page--all you have to do is decide what type of agent string you want to identify to the website to get the kind of web page experience you want. Quit with the 'mobile web' whining, already. heh

All in all, however, both the iPad and the Galaxy TAB feel a bit immature, as they offer an experience we all know from Android and iOS smartphones, only on a larger screen. There's really no innovation (IMO) here, just the luxury of a larger screen.
No innovation at all! Just like the difference between a 14-inch computer monitor with a max resolution of 1024x768 versus a 17-inch computer monitor with 1600x1024. There's no innovation there at all. But I can tell you that I'll probably get a far better experience and more workspace to get things done on the larger monitor. Still--no innovation.

That's why my money's on a MeeGo tablet and my hopes are on winning a Galaxy TAB in a raffle at where I work
Good luck with that. One is more than a promise and I already own, the other is still a mythical beast with high promise that might end up castrated by its Nokian masters.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I don't get the need for stuff like the ipad or other tablets. Why exactly are those things better than any modern 3G phone with a decent screen size?

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
My favorite note-taking app so far has been an app called "Catch Notes" by catch.com. It does everything from plain old text note-taking all the way to snapping images in notes, barcode scanning into notes (beeps and pastes the barcode data into the note), GPS recording into notes, etc.
Looks good, and it supports using Google openid logins, so no need to remember yet another set of account details.

Edit: having tried it out I'm not impressed: it doesn't support the basic Android App lifecycle. Create a new note, then just switch away to another app like the browser and switch straight back and you've lost all your work. Android apps get told when to save and restore their state, so for an app like that not to even try to preserve its state is simply unforgivable.

Last edited by Duncan; 2010-12-14 at 11:53. Reason: update after trying it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Duncan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
[QUOTE]

That's what I do. I try not to use my Droid much (mostly as a phone) and mainly use my Galaxy Tab as my Android tablet while my Droid saves battery life to function mainly as my communication device.
Could you ellaborate on that? Maybe you may have a solution for me. I want to carry a cheap phone with me as well as the Tab. I already have unlimited internet access on my current phone contract. Want to just take out my sim, slot it in the Tab and use ny unlimited internet there. But I want to use the cheap phone (or the N900 it seems now that the wife has ruled that the Tab is not just for me) to receive my calls. Is there a way to get the phone to receive the calls with the sim card being in the Tab and not the phone?

[QUOTE]

Check out virgin mobile.

they have a $25 plan that gives u 300 mins and ever thing else is unlimited.

Now there phones are on sale.
Am getting the samsung intercept with android on it.

My N900 will be on ebay in about a week or so.

So my tab will be my home and car device.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to crasbelize For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
Check out virgin mobile.

they have a $25 plan that gives u 300 mins and ever thing else is unlimited.

Now there phones are on sale.
Am getting the samsung intercept with android on it.

My N900 will be on ebay in about a week or so.

So my tab will be my home and car device.
That Virgin Mobile deal with the Samsung Intercept DOES look great, until you look at the specs on the phone. It's a great phone for someone that doesn't really geek out much, but for this crowd I'd doubt it would satisfy.

EDIT: Although, to the point of this latest twist in the conversation, you're right, though. If the whole point is to have an Android phone for the sake of having a phone fully charged and working as a communication device while your tablet is your power-player, the Intercept might in fact be the right tool.

Last edited by danramos; 2010-12-14 at 21:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Following on the text input speed issue Chippy at Carrypad has recently put up an article where he says the Tab is now his fastest input on any mobile device. He is doing thumb typing rather than swype. I think he never bothered to master swyping. Think I will be moving from the N900 for note taking.

http://www.carrypad.com/2010/12/10/s...to-galaxy-tab/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Following on the text input speed issue Chippy at Carrypad has recently put up an article where he says the Tab is now his fastest input on any mobile device. He is doing thumb typing rather than swype. I think he never bothered to master swyping. Think I will be moving from the N900 for note taking.

http://www.carrypad.com/2010/12/10/s...to-galaxy-tab/
I've never been a big fan of hardware keyboards only for their added weight and size. That said, they were still often better for typing. I would agree with his assessment, though. The Tab has made it virtually unnecessary to want to have a physical keyboard except in the case of terminal use, really,in which case you really need a full size 101-key style keyboard anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia

That Virgin Mobile deal with the Samsung Intercept DOES look great, until you look at the specs on the phone. It's a great phone for someone that doesn't really geek out much, but for this crowd I'd doubt it would satisfy.

EDIT: Although, to the point of this latest twist in the conversation, you're right, though. If the whole point is to have an Android phone for the sake of having a phone fully charged and working as a communication device while your tablet is your power-player, the Intercept might in fact be the right tool.
Ok. It's now written in stone.
The phone just went on sale.

Am thinking I could downgrade my t-mobile plan and save some money. I could use there data since it's free, it should be fast because it's on sprint's network!

Life just got sweeter!

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy