Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Relax. I don't know who did and I'm not worrying about it. Neither should you. The new title supports discussion. Let's try that.
Let's change it to Lakers -- Will They Win Again?

That also supports discussion.

The point is that though the original title was misleading, it wasn't all that bad. A consistent policy of renaming threads when the original is misleading is fine, but there is no such consistent policy, so the only time thread titles are changed is when they are displeasing to the management.

I would welcome evidence to the contrary -- can anyone show a moderator changing a thread to make the title more critical of Nokia than it was to start with, because the discussion in the thread was harshly critical? I don't think so.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Also, Google's cloud services seem to liberate them from open source expectations, as if something executing on a server makes the source irrelevant. Well, if I need to call a web service in blackbox fashion, it IS as bad as a binary blob (in fact, it's a bit worse, as at least the blob can't be taken away from me as easily).
Wow, I never thought of it that way, you're totally right.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I still remember the euphoria of n900 when it was being released and the anticipation of garnering good press reviews, 3rd parties support, ovi store, etc.

The MeeGo announcement (and what followed) hit the community like a ton of brick.
Let's not stay in denial.
I can say with complete honesty that the MeeGo announcements were disappointing but not surprising. I think most of us from the pre-N900 days were just waiting for Nokia to do it all again. Remember the almost-embarrassed announcement of the N900 at Nokia World? Ari's "It isn't for everyone, but I like it," response? And even at the height of the N900 excitement, we kept hearing, "Step 4 of 5," repeated over and over. I know I never really expected the N900 to go fully mainstream. My surprises were things like Angry Birds appearing on the N900. Now that was a nice surprise! Also, the sheer number of downloads of my scripts from Extras was a real shocker.

Are you saying you were surprised? That MeeGo hit you like a ton of bricks?

EDIT: Sorry for replying to such old posts... Oh well...

Last edited by qole; 2010-12-15 at 23:37.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Paris, France
I am really surprised by some reactions here saying that we were to get informed before buying... that Nokia never promised Ovi Maps with voice nav... that the N900 was only step 4 on a scale of 5...

Here, in France, the N900 wasn't marketed as a proof of concept designed for MIT searchers. It was marketed as an expensive smartphone. Period.

So as a customer I really don't care about the place of the N900/Maemo 5 on Nokia roadmap. Specially as at the time I bought it, Maemo was to be continued on its Debian base. Surprisingly Nokia let Maemo down and announced Meego, rising a lot of questions among the community. At that time, Nokia also announced that by march 2010, all it's new phones would be sold with Ovi Maps voice nav. A lot of n900 owners wondered then if Nokia was playing with words : is the still selling N900 considered as a new phone for Nokia ? Is it even a phone for the company ? Or is it just a tablet with phone option for which voicenav won't apply ? Obviously we know today the answer !

Nokia strategy was to keep silent. Why ? To take advantage and sell a couple more of units ?

What is unbelievable is that never Nokia seemed to understand that communication is so important (see Apple). May be some rumors, false infos even came out. Nokia didn't seemed to care about its image and reputation among its own customers. The only certain statement was about Meego never been supported on the N900.

Still we wonder today if a new update will come after PR 1.3. If some stupid bugs will ever be fixed. Nokia doesn't communicate on its coming update. So trendy ! So we can discuss endlessly on a thread like this one to know if Nokia has really finished supporting Maemo 5.
We don't know much, do we ?

Some of us who wouldn't hesitate to recommend the N900 to friends and relatives if it was still supported for sure and had voicenav, don't do it because of a basic lack of info. This is crazy, specially if Nokia is still supporting Maemo 5 for a while like it has done with its previous Symbian phones. Except that there are no promises.

Despite the fact that the N900 is probably the most exciting pocket machine I ever had (except for my Zaurii), that the community around it is fantastic, I just don't trust Nokia anymore. And I am not the only one, obviously for the same reasons.
I can't say that my next phone won't be a Nokia (i am not to get rid of my lovely N900 before long anyway), but for sure I can't encourage anymore people around me to buy their phones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hec For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Hec View Post
I am really surprised by some reactions here saying that we were to get informed before buying... that Nokia never promised Ovi Maps with voice nav... that the N900 was only step 4 on a scale of 5...

Here, in France, the N900 wasn't marketed as a proof of concept designed for MIT searchers. It was marketed as an expensive smartphone. Period.

So as a customer I really don't care about the place of the N900/Maemo 5 on Nokia roadmap. Specially as at the time I bought it, Maemo was to be continued on its Debian base. Surprisingly Nokia let Maemo down and announced Meego, rising a lot of questions among the community. At that time, Nokia also announced that by march 2010, all it's new phones would be sold with Ovi Maps voice nav. A lot of n900 owners wondered then if Nokia was playing with words : is the still selling N900 considered as a new phone for Nokia ? Is it even a phone for the company ? Or is it just a tablet with phone option for which voicenav won't apply ? Obviously we know today the answer !

Nokia strategy was to keep silent. Why ? To take advantage and sell a couple more of units ?

What is unbelievable is that never Nokia seemed to understand that communication is so important (see Apple). May be some rumors, false infos even came out. Nokia didn't seemed to care about its image and reputation among its own customers. The only certain statement was about Meego never been supported on the N900.

Still we wonder today if a new update will come after PR 1.3. If some stupid bugs will ever be fixed. Nokia doesn't communicate on its coming update. So trendy ! So we can discuss endlessly on a thread like this one to know if Nokia has really finished supporting Maemo 5.
We don't know much, do we ?

Some of us who wouldn't hesitate to recommend the N900 to friends and relatives if it was still supported for sure and had voicenav, don't do it because of a basic lack of info. This is crazy, specially if Nokia is still supporting Maemo 5 for a while like it has done with its previous Symbian phones. Except that there are no promises.

Despite the fact that the N900 is probably the most exciting pocket machine I ever had (except for my Zaurii), that the community around it is fantastic, I just don't trust Nokia anymore. And I am not the only one, obviously for the same reasons.
I can't say that my next phone won't be a Nokia (i am not to get rid of my lovely N900 before long anyway), but for sure I can't encourage anymore people around me to buy their phones.
What the hec.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
so the only time thread titles are changed is when they are displeasing to the management.
Oh god. Can we stop already with the conspiracy theories? There's no conspiracy. I saw the box and it was empty. Nada.

As sjgadsby said, a thread renaming was requested. He did it. This is one of those situations where a solution making everyone happy didn't exist, so, it is clearly logical that the path to take would be the most neutral possible. Please apply some common sense before invoking management intervention or fanboyism.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-12-16 at 02:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Let's change it to Lakers -- Will They Win Again?

That also supports discussion.

The point is that though the original title was misleading, it wasn't all that bad. A consistent policy of renaming threads when the original is misleading is fine, but there is no such consistent policy, so the only time thread titles are changed is when they are displeasing to the management.

I would welcome evidence to the contrary -- can anyone show a moderator changing a thread to make the title more critical of Nokia than it was to start with, because the discussion in the thread was harshly critical? I don't think so.
Your facetious suggeston would turn it into an off-topic thread. Not that it wouldn't happen (it has, of course) but is that what you're looking for?

Thread titles are NOT changed to suit the whims of "management". They're changed at request of the membership or to fit the whims of the topic, the site goals, etc. This has been explained to you before, geneven.

And it would be asinine for a moderator here to change a thread title in this Nokia-oriented forum into any sort of flame magnet. It makes far more sense to strive toward objective titles that promote productive, topical discussion. The kind that adults indulge.

If you're looking for support of outright Nokia bashing, you're not going to find it among the moderators here. But, lucky you, there are numerous (and that is an understatement) venues for that sort of fun all across the wonderful internet. Seek and enjoy.

Now, back to our irregularly-scheduled inanity.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Now, back to our irregularly-scheduled inanity.
Coming up.

Select useless discussion:

a) Maps (we all know it stinks, but we like to agree)
b) Phone (lacks features, stalls, self-rejects, but no choice because it's closed)
c) Support (we all know it's dead/last breath and won't resurrect)
d) Pick on a mod for implementing changes we requested
e) Depressing discussion about everybody else having what we don't, ignoring what we have and they don't
f) Custom...
y) Return to previous menu
z) Contact a live operator

Select now:_

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Well i still feel nokia support is better considering fact i owned a samsung omnia hd, and support for samsung fones the less we talk bout ..is better. If it wasnt for modders like hyper-x and faenil omnia hd probably wouldnt have seen real 24 fps hd recording, kinetic scrolling in menus and music player, proper java implementation, and other mods, tweaks and fixes..

Apart from the support factor, little known fact i have observed over the years regarding htc phones, well they have terrible issues with network quality..the same applies to samsung too. My signal quality is always better with nokia phones. Your mileage might vary..just a personal opinion.

Last edited by tusharmax; 2010-12-16 at 10:31.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
It makes far more sense to strive toward objective titles that promote productive, topical discussion. The kind that adults indulge.
Yep. Adults indulge in discussions whilst children play with tags

About the change of the title, that was a censorship act. Simply in this forum strong criticism agains Nokia is not allowed (I don't know where in the world the servers hosting this forum are, if in a democratic country or not).
But words are useless but facts and acts useful. Companies want from us money. Dear Nokia, no money from me anymore, because I am totally unsatisfied as a customer.

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest