Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
i have this since i bought the phone.and if it really would stay at 500 mhz even if your phone is in standby it would charge for 6 hours

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

I think, have a feeling, when charging with the dedicated charger, it won't stay at 500 Mhz, but when charging at the same time when USB-data connection is established (but idle) it runs @500 Mhz even if there is nothing busy and the load is 0.00

When charging whole night from PC USB, even after it had fully charged long ago, the N900 will be quite warm if not hot in the morning. But if it has been connected to dedicated charger, it is cool in the morning. So there seems to be a difference and it seems like N900 do not idle at all when charged from "real" USB connection.

Last edited by zimon; 2010-12-18 at 00:21.

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I think, have a feeling, when charging with the dedicated charger, it won't stay at 500 Mhz, but when charging at the same time when USB-data connection is established (but idle) it runs @500 Mhz even if there is nothing busy and the load is 0.00

When charging whole night from PC USB, even after it had fully charged long ago, the N900 will be quite warm if not hot in the morning. But if it has been connected to dedicated charger, it is cool in the morning. So there seems to be a difference and it seems like N900 do not idle at all when charged from "real" USB connection.
sorry zimon but I've same issue using the specify/dedicated n900 wall charger nokia original! (http://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/145/993/607/02Qe.jpg)

I suppose solution is hidden inside in a extras-devel app we have installed!

Last edited by maemo.it; 2010-12-18 at 00:40. Reason: correction

With PR1.0 it ran cpu at constant 500MHz when connected to USB Host charger (such as PC). That's fine, we knew usb host charging sucks anyway. With wall charger, cpu would sit at 0 MHz most of the time, unless you loaded your N900 with a bunch of power hogging crapware.

With PR1.3 it always sits at 500MHz consuming an extra 80-100mA power.

Please use powertop to check C4 vs C0. C0 = CPU on, C4 = CPU off. Regular top only displays cpu load, which isn't that helpful for power usage measuring, because for power use the wake times matter.

The end of charge threshold is set to 50mA, and the extra load incurred from cpu being active all the time, and usb controller being active, is about 80-100mA, so it is never goes below the 50mA threshold, and the charger never stops. The user interface says full at some point, but whatever the user interface tells the user is uninteresting and not that relevant. As a result of the charger never stopping, it ends up trickle-charging or float charging the battery. All litterature on Li-Ion batteries agree that this is a very bad thing that causes accumulating damage to the battery.

This probably means the battery will wear out much faster than it should, and if it's used way longer after the user is supposed to replace it, it might even become unstable. Of course, the N900 doesn't have anything like Windows 7 that tells the user when the battery has degraded so much it'd be wise to replace it, unfortunately.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
me me me me me I want to complain too! Why is my N900 always on 10% while charging and on 250MHz? I want it to be 100% :P

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Wrong.

Wrong again. In this mode that is entered when charging, the CPU does not idle.

It is certainly not worth to discuss with people who don't know what they are talking about.
Ah bless, I love it when people try correcting someone when they are actually wrong themselves.

With PR1.1 my phone would jump to 600MHz (fixed) whilst on the wall plug and 500Mhz (fixed) whilst on the USB cable.

The Following User Says Thank You to LondonBenji For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
Ah bless, I love it when people try correcting someone when they are actually wrong themselves.

With PR1.1 my phone would jump to 600MHz (fixed) whilst on the wall plug and 500Mhz (fixed) whilst on the USB cable.
exactly,and there are several threads about the 500 mhz while charging/usb issue long before pr1.3

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
so does it's normal/standard to have 500mhz cpu running during recharge?

Originally Posted by maemo.it View Post
so does it's normal/standard to have 500mhz cpu running during recharge?
yes its normal,don't worry and if you don't like it install kernel-power
regards

The Following User Says Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
yes its normal,don't worry and if you don't like it install kernel-power
regards
What does it help?
I have kernel-power.
My N900 was idle.
Connected to wall charger but battery is full already.

Sampled for 5 mins with powertop and it shows system is not in C4 state at all.

Code:
# uname -a
Linux Nokia-N900 2.6.28.10power46 #1 PREEMPT Thu Nov 18 17:04:59 EET 2010 armv7l unknown
# powertop -t 300
Powertop 1.13.3
Sleeping for 11 seconds before sampling
Collecting data for 300 seconds
Sample interval was 05m 00s 16571us

C#      | Ratio  | Avg/dura | Frequency | Ratio
--------+--------+----------+-----------+--------+
     C0 |   8.1% |          |  1150 MHz |   nan% |
     C1 |   0.0% |    0.4ms | 
     C2 |  91.9% |   13.0ms | 
     C3 |   0.0% |          | 
     C4 |   0.0% |    7.2ms |