Notices

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by tmarinos View Post
The same thing happened to me twice in the last 3 updates.

Why can't it just remember my previous config??? Such a pain!
The application is still under development. It's your choise to test or not development versions. You have been warned that you'll might need to re-enter your settings and I can't see why you are complaining especially when it takes 30 seconds to set up again.

In the end it is us which spent many hours and effort to develop something to give away for free. Where is your support and contribution?

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
hello . i know everyone is getting angry about setting it up again and again . hello its free !!. oh so keep up tbe good work . I have tested it and it works great for me . no complaints here !

The Following User Says Thank You to danx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
This comes from a problem in the Qt libraries happened a few weeks ago in the repositories. In short, a development version has been wrongly pushed to extras.
It has been fixed in the repositories but the fix cannot be propagated automatically in the N900s affected.

So you need to update your qt4 libraries manually to fix this.
Switch off the devel repo and use the testing repo.

Can you post the output of your:
Code:
dpkg -l *qt4*
dpkg -l python2.5-*
as well as:

Code:
root
apt-get update
apt-get -s upgrade
Sorry, I was in hollidays and couldn't see your message. Anyway, thanks for the information, upgrading with only testing repository activated solved the problem.

(1) No, it is not a good option. The "new" user will see (thus know) the password as soon as the first message arrives.

(2) The benefit from comparing 5 instead of 10 character strings will not make any difference in battery life.
1) You are right about that, I stand corrected. At least as far SMScon is not able to optionally silently grab the SMScon-SMS-messages and not to show on the desktop or signal any normal way SMS has come.

2) There is currently 15 different SMS-commands.
I haven't yet looked at the code, but checking the first word of the income SMS against 15 different strings seems like more processing work than checking it against just one password string. Approximately 15 times more work if done in simple way.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
1) You are right about that, I stand corrected. At least as far SMScon is not able to optionally silently grab the SMScon-SMS-messages and not to show on the desktop or signal any normal way SMS has come.

2) There is currently 15 different SMS-commands.
I haven't yet looked at the code, but checking the first word of the income SMS against 15 different strings seems like more processing work than checking it against just one password string. Approximately 15 times more work if done in simple way.
I've tried to do the first option in a special version for you only but it is quite complicated since the actual password is not saved in a readable form anywhere.

Sorry, but keep proposing ideas on more things. It's appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 200 | Thanked: 300 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
I know it's a bit annoying to enter all user settings again after every update, that why I tried to make it last when updating from 0.7-1 to 0.7-2, but it seems the code failed (don't no why yet).
Release 0.7-2 was only a bug release so user settings are the same. But if new future options are released the config file has to be deleted & reinitialized with a default template otherwise smscon won't work...

In upcoming release 0.8 I have added a four new user setting (yes, the config file will be deleted again, sorry) and some bugfixes;

1) now users can select if they want to send all reply messages from smscon by SMS or by email (just like all location (GPS) reply messages are selectable by SMS or by email). BUT: when SIM card is changed in phone by non-authorized one, smscon always sends a SMS and no email.

2) resending of reply messages (if no cell reception/data network/whatever) is now user settable in config file.

3) bugfixes in original resending code part in smscon_daemon(would crash when used and/or not work at all)

New options in "smscon_config" file:

Code:
# Method of reply message sending
# (method to send reply messages: 'sms' / 'email')
MESSAGESEND       = 'email'

# Resend message settings
# (method to send reply messages: 'sms' / 'email')
MESSAGESEND       = 'email'
# (enable resending of reply message after 15 minutes if sending fails, until succesfull sending)
ENABLERESEND      = 'yes'
# (resend waiting time in minutes)
RESENDTIME        = 15
# (maximum retries of resending)
MAXRESEND         = 10
@ Saturn: Do you have some spare time to implement this in SMSCON-editor ?

Originally Posted by digitalvoid View Post
@ Saturn: Do you have some spare time to implement this in SMSCON-editor ?
Hi,

I'm away from my PC (for the next couple of weeks) but I will try to set up the environment to add those new options.

I think it is necessary to make the general tab a scrollable list and add them there.

Will send you more (in private) as soon as I have some news.

cheers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Sometimes a command is not recognized with a certain prefix, but if i change the name of the command (same prefix) OR the prefix (same command name) it is recognized. Maybe check the string comparison or the way sms are stored / read on the device?

Very nice combo, SMScon and SMScon Editor. Thank you very much.

I've tried to do the first option in a special version for you only but it is quite complicated since the actual password is not saved in a readable form anywhere.

Sorry, but keep proposing ideas on more things. It's appreciated.
Currently one can change everything for smscon also editing the config file smscon_config manually anyway without any clear text or hashed password. So, if smscon (daemon) password would be in clear text in the smscon_config, it wouldn't make things worse but actually as said, simplify and make smscon-daemon SMS-command recognition more efficient.

Also if "the new user" sees SMS-messages, knowledgeable user can delete whole smscon whether threre was a real smscon-daemon password or sms-command-prefix, or whatever smscon-editor's password would be, in crypted or in clear text, does not matter. smscon-editor's password only protects against novice new users who do not know what smscon is.

In smscon-editor, "prefix" could be changed to "smscon daemon password".

i sent "check" to my phone with a friends phone. However everytime i open the keyboard, he gets a textmessage. How (if my device would be stolen, and if i wanted to turn it off) can i turn of the textmessages??

i can't find a command for this...