Active Topics

Originally Posted by danramos View Post

I am VERY sure that the Tab is the only reason why there'll even be an iPad v2 this quickly with cameras and all. Until Apple gets honest-to-God competition, they tended to be happy with lazy progress. (i.e. 1st gen vs 2nd gen iPhones, iTouch, iPods, etc. back when there wasn't very good competition).
Very true there. Competition is indeed the best thing for innovation and advancement.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
I just tried the tab yesterday at a store.
Quite surprised that I didn't like the experience. The hardware is very nice, screen too (and the limited photo/video test I did left me impressed).

The keyboard experience is abysmal (but I am not used to an onscreen keyboard). The word suggestion totally ruined the experience - and just putting in a web address was a "major" task.

The browsing experience was very disappointing, the browser felt quite slow and scrolling was very jagged. Subjectively I feel that the N900 is actually faster - and the small things really matter (fx. having to scroll all the way up in the android browser to get to location field).

Another thing was that I found it impossible to get a "running tasks" to switch from one program to another. I could get to a tasks window, but only to see amount of ram used, how long it had been running etc. It left me really frustrated that I couldn't easily switch between open programs.

As a newbie regarding Android, I guess these issues are amendable with apps - but all in all the first impression is that this is not something I would buy (especially since the "buy outright" price in Australia is AUD 840 - and you are still locked into Telstras network).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Cap's back.. Wow, now I know how it feels to be away for a while and have to go through pages upon pages of posts. Serves me right....

Anyhoo... Here's a lovely article comparing the Tegra 2 in the Viewsonic G to the Galaxy Tab:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4067/n...ormance-update

As you can tell, the Tegra 2 is the current champ, besting the might of the Hummingbird in the graphics category. However, what's clear is that the lead isn't as high as one might expect. In fact, the SGX540 holds its own impeccably well, and makes the Tab *that* much more valuable against the upcoming hoard of competitor tablets. Not only does it perform comparably (in graphics -- where it generally matters most), but it also has a slew of other high quality considerations that makes for a compelling computational companion.

I've read that the Verizon Tab can be had for $499 from best buy without contract!

Of course there are other hardware considerations to consider for performance, and upcoming tablets may widen the gap. However, it's looking as if the Tab is a pretty safe bet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
I am VERY sure that the Tab is the only reason why there'll even be an iPad v2 this quickly with cameras and all. Until Apple gets honest-to-God competition, they tended to be happy with lazy progress. (i.e. 1st gen vs 2nd gen iPhones, iTouch, iPods, etc. back when there wasn't very good competition).
Yup. That's why I'm thankful Android is on the field. Finally someone is giving Apple a run for their money.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
I think they'd already suggested that ages ago--the Tab really is their first foray into the tablets. I'm hoping that by having dived into a Galaxy Tab, consumers might at least confirm that there IS an interested market in this mid-sized tablet range (7-inch).

I am waiting with much anticipation for Steve to announce that the iPad2 will ALSO come in a "Revolutionary Pocketable 7" size"

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
I'm looking forward to Motorola presumed entrance into the tablet marked (with Xoom?): http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/22/motorola-seeks-xoom-trademark-around-the-world-could-well-be/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post:
This is an interesting post on the upcoming Dreamcast emulator for Android:
http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog...ndroid-nulldc/

The speed is quite impressive so far. Though it's clearly not running at native speed, with some frame dropping support and further optimization, it should play quite well upon completion!

There are a handful of really great games for Dreamcast that would be a blast to play on the Galaxy Tab. Some of the top of my head are: Resident Evil: Code Veronica (solid survival horror with great graphics and decent puzzles),
Leagacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (a nice puzzle action game),
Armada (a great space shooter),
Powerstone (a wildly fun and unconvential fighting game),
Powerstone2 (the sequel which adds very interesting gameplay),
Soul Calibur (one of the best fighting games I've ever played),
Virtua Fighter 3 (a classic game),
Grandia II (I. can't. wait. Solid and fun RPG),
Skies of arcadia (more RPGish, but in the right way),
Crazy Taxi (a fun arcade full freedom driving game),
Jet set radio (one of the best games ever made),
Marvel vs. Capcom II (a great 2D fighter)
+ more

All of these would be brilliant to be able to play on the Tab, and with amazing graphics to boot! It's amazing how far we've come! Dreamcast on the Tab? 100% win.

Oh, by the way, the N64 emulator is also en route! Now where's my GPU accelerated PSX emulator?

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I don't know if you guys saw this yet... seems interesting. I imagine it would make a pretty spiffy cross-OS desktop UI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROca7ao-Tqw
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I don't know if you guys saw this yet... seems interesting. I imagine it would make a pretty spiffy cross-OS desktop UI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROca7ao-Tqw
Finally, a company that gets it! I love the performance of SPB and I sincerely hope that companies use the UI engine to build faster, richer UIs for their applications.

Were I building an application, I would certainly thumb through their API or at least feature list before starting.

They may not be as artsy as TAT, but they seem to have practical performance down with solid design sensibilities and their priorities in the right place -- PERFORMANCE!!!

Great find!

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Cap's back.. Wow, now I know how it feels to be away for a while and have to go through pages upon pages of posts. Serves me right....
By the by--WELCOME BACK! I kept wondering where you were during some of the discussions. Glad you're back! Did you get a Tab yet? Didjadidjadidja?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy