Notices

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Would setting nice value to download thread as low priority as possible help things up? Or is it just because of IO activity that slows thing down.

Would it help if thumbnail fetching was done only when you view list and text parsing as it is now but maybe with lower priority value?

This pretty much explains what I´m trying to explain :
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/01/21/...nt-in-threads/

.edit
Feature reaquest:
Tap thumbnail -> Video starts to play immediately
Tap text -> current behavior

Last edited by slender; 2010-12-22 at 12:40.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by slender View Post
I´m starting to think that more button is better for overall user experience. Auto-loading hits really badly on responsiveness, even-thought it might be bit faster but it gives some headaches to end users while it stutters. More button gives more time to app and user also gives more time to app because he/she just pressed button so it´s IMO generally expected that app is going to load now something.
Agreed,I liked the more button better aswell.

Keep up the good work with this nice app

The Following User Says Thank You to datjomp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
its working great, but the player is still a bit of a pain .

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Would setting nice value to download thread as low priority as possible help things up? Or is it just because of IO activity that slows thing down.

Would it help if thumbnail fetching was done only when you view list and text parsing as it is now but maybe with lower priority value?

This pretty much explains what I´m trying to explain :
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/01/21/...nt-in-threads/

.edit
Feature reaquest:
Tap thumbnail -> Video starts to play immediately
Tap text -> current behavior
I have uploaded a new build to extras-devel. The new release has the download threads set to low priority. I don't experience any noticeable difference in performance when downloading. Everything is smooth, except for a few seconds when the tracker process is running once a download is completed. It's an issue that some other devs have complained about. Nokia decided that their processes are more important than third-party applications when allocating CPU cycles.

I have also re-introduced the 'more results' button.

My website

GitHub

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Nu1st Street, Iron Triange, Richmond, CA
Congratulations! I really like this. No problems thus far. I have ditched all my other n900 you tube workarounds.

The Following User Says Thank You to martycollinsesq For This Useful Post:
thanks I see you found the download bug hiding somewhere and also I now only see login when I am logged in.

you are probably tired of being thanked by now but...thanks anyway

The Following User Says Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
UI change Request:
Add logged user name to main view up or lower corner and status besides it. No general popup message.

Thank you for making our n900 a little better I donated a small amount of money.

And like many i'd like to add a possible feature request
Maemo 5 has the feature that it can load a screenshot (PVR file) of an app before the app actually starts, just to make it look like it started faster. MohammedAG even made an application to make such PVR files; source + explanation is in this thread (that's where i got the idea from anyway)

It takes a few seconds for Cutetube to start up: no big deal at all, but with a PVR file it looks like it starts up faster. Off course it's just an image, so the actual starting up time remains the same. And it's just an image so when the program is starting it's "unresponsive". So i'm not sure that you even want to implement this feature; heck, i don't even care, i already have the feature on my device, with MohammedAG's tool But maybe it would be nice to have it as default? Just to let you know. Anyway, it's totally up to you, it's your program.

I've made a quick comparision video by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtzaFzrJGpI (first time without PVR, second time with PVR)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woussie For This Useful Post:
@marxian,

I know you are aware of the 'sound doesnt work in silent mode' bug. Do you you think you can take the cue from Mediabox to sort that out?

please can someone help.
i have the latest version of cutetube but every video i try and download fails and when i press the option to play nothing happens but a black screen .

Tags
youtube