Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
By the by--WELCOME BACK! I kept wondering where you were during some of the discussions. Glad you're back! Did you get a Tab yet? Didjadidjadidja?
Thanks man!

I've been travelling and MAN would a Tab have been the perfect companion (browser, music, ebooks, movies, ssh). I've taken no less than 5 planes in the span of a week (no joke) due to weather cancellations, delays, and layovers. Needless to say, there was a bunch of waiting around, where the Tab would have been extremely useful, or to use generally while I was away.

I'm a light packer mastering the art of a single carry on, and the Tab would have been so much better than my netbook in this regard. I'm also eyeballing those vacuum bags to really shrink my clothing down.

I saw a few iPads while I was out and about, and noticed that *everyone* was reading books off of them; without exception. What struck me most, was that they were all seated and had them on their laps, in an awkward crouched over pose. Nobody had them propped up like you might read a novel. 7" is the size to have.

As you've no doubt realized, no Tab yet , but that's a late Christmas/early new years present. My GF is dead set on getting one for me, but after the holidays finances are tight, so we'll see! It will happen soon, though, I have little doubt.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia

I am waiting with much anticipation for Steve to announce that the iPad2 will ALSO come in a "Revolutionary Pocketable 7" size"
Guys if this happen am getting one.
Am not a apple fan; but some of their apps kicks ***.....like the xfinity app for example and the netflix app.

Android seem to get the watered down versions off these apps.....AND I NEED THEM BOTH!

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to crasbelize For This Useful Post:
I seriously doubt that Apple will release a 7" in short order. I fully expect them to release an iPod Macro or some variant in the future, but after Job's tirade, I wouldn't expect him to eat his hat quite so shortly afterwards.

Jobs went off on netbooks as well, but then the Macbook Air @ 11.6" was released a few years afterwards. Granted there was a non-ATOM core, but his original complaint was the size. This shows that Jobs ego isn't immune to market forces; which lends crediblity to the foresight of a smaller slate. However, the MBA was positioned VERY differently from a netbook, and that positioning would take time, especially given public memory.

I can't see a 7" iPad being released soon. Perhaps in a year or two.

But I could be wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
The MBA recalls the 12in PB (which was one of my favorite machines and I still have it as a dedicated Garageband machine.
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Here's the Anandtech review of the galaxy Tab:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4062/s...ndtech-review/

They like the hardware, but have trouble getting past the software.

What do you think?

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
"It’s too similar to a smartphone right now, too much of the same experience repeated on a 200% scale."

LOL, so what they don't like about the Galaxy Tab is exactly what you get with the iPhone - iPad = same thing only bigger... R.E.T.A.R.D.S.

I'm getting more and more disappointed with the so called tech magazines/websites.

Last edited by H3llb0und; 2010-12-23 at 23:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
"It’s too similar to a smartphone right now, too much of the same experience repeated on a 200% scale."

LOL, so what they don't like about the Galaxy Tab is exactly what you get with the iPhone - iPad = same thing only bigger... R.E.T.A.R.D.S.

I'm getting more and more disappointed with the so called tech magazines/websites.
I'm a fan of Anandtech's reviews, but this viewpoint doesn't surprise me. They are fans of Apple and it seems as though the Tab is being measured against the iPad at every turn. In a way, this makes sense: there really are only two slates on the market. But it's not entirely a fair comparison.

There are many things, other than 'tablet ready apps' that Android brings to the table that are well worth consideration, especially given the Anandtech audience -- an engineering saavy/enthusiast readership.

But this is the age old: once a mind is made up about a thing, find evidence to support that perspective. This seems to be the problem with these so-called objective reviews.

Don't get me wrong, the iPad seems to be a great device, and does things that the Tab currently doesn't do, or doesn't do well. But this goes both ways. I'm sure there are many things you can do on the Tab that are wholly foreign concepts to the iPad. The problem is, that these virtues are rarely mentioned as part of the value assessment.

If I were to give the iPad one major point above the Tab, it would be this: positioning. The Tab is being measured against the way that the iPad was positioned in the market. The iPad needn't the advanced features or capabilities of Android, simply because they are perceived to have never been intended. The Tab's purpose, on the other hand, is proportional to Android's purpose, which is loosely defined at best.

Now, this matters very little in the long run; who are we kidding, these things are basically large smartphones -- yes, including the iPad. However, it seems that people are hellbent on measuring the capabilities of a device against the marketing materials, rather than the device as a whole.

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
Consumer's association 'Which?' have reviewed the Galaxy Tab and made it one their three tablet Best Buys (the other two being the iPad).
If you're not a member you won't be able to read much of the review, but you can find it here: http://www.which.co.uk/technology/co...xy-tab/review/

I've emailed them about their claim that it has memory 1G plus 16GB sdcard which I hope is just a misprint on the web page.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duncan For This Useful Post:
I just got to try the Tab again, and what a pleasure. Aside from fending off the bloodthirsty sales people trying to talk me into buying the unit with a weak recitation of specs and capabilities -- despite me clearly stating that I have zero intent to spend any money -- it was a good experience.

This time around I tried Need For Speed Shift, and I was amazed at how fluid and smooth the graphics were. The controls were excellent, and the game was quite fun! I can see many hours being wasted playing games on the Tab, especially with the PSX and now DC emulator on the way. Fun times ahead.

I also got a chance to turn off the live wallpapers and was interested to find that the launcher GUI was very smooth as a result. It seems that the live wallpapers eat into performance a bit, which may or may not be an issue to some. I'd probably opt to have them off, though there may be some effects that improve the experience.

This unit was internet enabled, and I got a chance to hop to a few sites, and the stock browser is really quite smooth and fast. To think that it only gets better is quite impressive.

I was again wowed by the size. It really is a compelling feature of the unit. It fits so comfortably in the hand, and is the perfect weight. Samsung has really knocked it out of the park. I *still* didn't get a chance to try reading an ebook, but I expect that it would be close to perfect.

Here's hoping that the Tab gets Honeycomb officially. I'm curious to see what Samsung does. It could ride the 2.2 for a year, but it will be facing some hard competition come March. Of course, if the Tab got Honeycomb, I'm certain that it would compete very well with the latest devices coming to market.

Exciting times ahead.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.....

Tab(Sprint) available at the HomeShoppingNetwork

Does this mean the Tab is "mainstream"?

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy