I bought mine for 199 euros new about a month ago.

Originally Posted by Acidspunk View Post
I bought mine for 199 euros new about a month ago.
Oh yeah, I forgot, something else - resales are in the toilet, which is the sole reason I still have mine... not worth selling. You can pick up a minty for less than a well-used iPhone 3G.

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
I paid a crap load of money for mine - still worth it!

People should just love it or hate it. not being in the middle - why are there so many threads like this?
If you like Linux and phones, then you'll like N900.
If not - buy an iPhone.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
what about the dsp? is there any special app for it? if i remember the dsp could be very useful for any signal processing. how can i do this? btw. i've written a performance tweaking script with a firewall and a traffic-shapping script. you can find the location of the dl address in my signature

thanks for reading.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
what about the dsp? is there any special app for it? if i remember the dsp could be very useful for any signal processing. how can i do this? btw. i've written a performance tweaking script with a firewall and a traffic-shapping script. you can find the location of the dl address in my signature

thanks for reading.
You might search the huge Overclocking thread for some dsp discussion. I remember some useful commentary there.

It does have a few issues. You won’t be able to send or receive mms msg's (which I used to do a lot of) unless u download FMMS which is a great app but (and this is unless a new version came out) it is kinda buggy. Pretty slow. But does get the job done.

U also will not be able to send files via Bluetooth unless u download petrovich which I can honestly say gets the job done and in my mind is a fully polished app.

Also... it doesnt have much ram so it is kinda slow if multi tasking. It all depends on how resource hungry the multi tasking apps are. Also the ram isn’t that much either so there will be some degradation in performance after you start loading up a bunch of apps having them running at one time.

Also!!! Even though there is a front facing camera there is no way currently to do mobile to mobile video calls unless the other user has an n900. However Skype works perfectly for mobile to pc video calls.

Also!!! On (and this is an approximation) about 80 % of the handsets sold have a prob with the camera. it takes very very blurry pictures unless u are in PURE day light, and even then u need to know a thing or two about camera angels and lighting to get a picture worth sharing. I usually have to edit the contrast and brightness of my pics taken with the n900 before I can show (which is cool I can do it right from the phone) and even still... it’s like putting a band aid on a leave faucet. Doesn’t really fix the prob but something is better than nothing

And mind u I am just giving lil things that I think the avg person might find a lil annoying but I myself have come to live with it and don’t mind

Battery life is not so good. U will hear people say its average for a Smartphone and you just need to know how to do this or d that or whatever but that’s BS. I know plenty other smart phones with better battery life. Plain and simple. The batt just isn’t that good. Not the worst. But it is below average in my opinion. And I don’t care what u have turned on or off... the fact is u will not browse the internet for more than a hr or 2 at the most with out your full batt depleting to almost gone. Id doesn’t care if you turn off blue tooth and lower the back light or whatever. The batt just aint that good

There aren’t a lot of polished (finished) apps for it but the main ones most people need are available and finished. If not there is always some kinda hackaround to get the functionality u want. some would consider this a plus and others a minus. To each their own

OH! Perhaps the biggest thing of ALLLLLL

Not to scare you but...

All of the n900 have a build defect in which the power port will come loose after a few months. The good thing is nokia recognizes it and will replace your phone with no hassle provided there isn’t obvious wear and tear due to neglect or moisture on the phone. The bad part is that nokia has not changed one single thing with the way they manufactured the usb port. (I know because I asked and spoke to them myself) which means that when they send u a shiny new nokia 900 that too will have the same defect with the power port. CONCULSION??? Ultimately phone will have the exact same problem!!!! And by that point you will be out of your warranty and prob ready to get another phone anyways with the speed tech moves at today

So what is the fix... u will have to do some jack leg **** to get around this... you will need to find a metal grinder/file or something and shave the teeth off of your power cord. So that they don’t pull on the power port inside the phone. Also... be sure to make sure there are NO METAL shavings in or around the plug before sticking it back in to your power cord. Obvious side affects I see with this is the fact the cord will come in and out of the phone easily... once again some consider this a plus and others a minus to each their own..

I can’t think of anything else at the moment. If I do I will let u know.

Last edited by andraeseus1; 2010-12-26 at 17:07. Reason: clearification

The Following User Says Thank You to andraeseus1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
...All of the n900 have a build defect in which the power port will come loose after a few months...
Please define "a few months". Reading your post you seem to suggest that the usb port of every N900 will fail after quite a short time.

I bought my device about 10 months ago and have not experienced any difficulties with the usb port so far. Since my phone has to be charged once a day due to constant use, there has certainly been a lot of strain on the port. I am not saying that there may not be problems down the road, but according to your post the usb port of my N900 should likely already have broken by now.

The Following User Says Thank You to jcw1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jcw1 View Post
Please define "a few months". Reading your post you seem to suggest that the usb port of every N900 will fail after quite a short time.

I bought my device about 10 months ago and have not experienced any difficulties with the usb port so far. Since my phone has to be charged once a day due to constant use, there has certainly been a lot of strain on the port. I am not saying that there may not be problems down the road, but according to your post the usb port of my N900 should likely already have broken by now.
Not meant to scare anyone either.

The usb port in the device does not have a solid support, meaning there are no screws to hold the usb port in, neither is it super glued on to any aspect of the plastic.It's basically soldered on to the mother board and left there.

Over time the tugging and the pulling would eventually cause the usb port to fall out, if you experience no charging or any other problems relating to the usb such as no connection between pc and the device.....then it's a possible sign that the port is about to fall out since there may be a possible crack in the solder that's connecting the usb port to the mother board.

It's not enough to simply remove the prongs, you have to shave it down until there is very little friction when pulling out the usb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
@Does it make sense to fix the usb-port with some sort of cement or glue?

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
@Does it make sense to fix the usb-port with some sort of cement or glue?
See this thread for a review of how to fix it. Includes some photos. I believe there is a YouTube video (I can never get YouTube to show up to tape when I am fixing something. Why is that?) that goes through the disassembly/reassembly process.

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:

Tags
does anyone, give a fock?