Posts: 23 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Singapore
i just want to know how many of you guys put your Nokia 770 on standby 24/7?
and how many of you 'on/off' your devices?

I leave mine on 24/7 until battery is low. Then shut it off and charge it up...back on again after the charge. Don't know if this impacts the life of the battery or not but would be interested to find out...

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
i have my N800 on 24/7, but once a month on average i turn it off and re-boot

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
I just put the cover on when I am done. I never turn it off.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It depends on what I expect to do right after I use it. For example: I use it in the morning to check mails and "read the papers" during breakfast. I'd usually leave it on so I can use it again in the evening when I come home from work. If I know, however, that I wont be home at night (or wont be home until next evening ), I turn it off.

Without having counted and statistically analyzed the data, I'd assume that I turn it off more often than I simply put the cover on. 60:40, maybe. My main reason for doing so, though, is not to reduce power consumption... I only prefer to be "in control" and want devices I dont use to be off.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by cogtx View Post
I leave mine on 24/7 until battery is low. Then shut it off and charge it up...back on again after the charge. Don't know if this impacts the life of the battery or not but would be interested to find out...
Erm, why not just charge it when you're around a charge instead of running it down all the time? It'll charge just fine when it's on and save you the hassle of shutting it down to charge, plus, it saves stress on the battery.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
My main reason for doing so, though, is not to reduce power consumption... I only prefer to be "in control" and want devices I dont use to be off.
Now that's just silly. :\

All of my 3 ITs are on 24/7 and usually plugged in while I'm at home. There's really no reason to turn them off other than a period of limited access to power.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2007-11-04 at 12:36.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I leave it on but turned it offline when I am not using. I like it on 24/7 but hate the trouble to plug it in, I think keeping it offline will stretch the battery life between charges. There is a chance of damaging open files when plugs insert AND removal, sort of like crossing a street being running over by a 18 wheeler. And of course, I only charge it when battery is low. Y? Memory effect of the NiCd battery, I am afraid there is some in any rechargeble battery. And of course, I like my mother earth , keep the environment green by not wasting energy.

bun

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ north of north germany
i just leave my 770 on all the time. just flip the cover when i donīt need it. i'm just a lazy guy, and in standby mode, the 770 survives days without the charger. i love it to flip the cover an it's up and running instead of waiting long 30 seconds to boot.

i use the charger when i am at home, no matter what the battery status is. just plug it in to always have a fully charged battery when i leave home.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I leave it on but turned it offline when I am not using. I like it on 24/7 but hate the trouble to plug it in, I think keeping it offline will stretch the battery life between charges.
Reasonable enough.

There is a chance of damaging open files when plugs insert AND removal, sort of like crossing a street being running over by a 18 wheeler.
No, charging will not damage files or corrupt memory. This is plainly false.

And of course, I only charge it when battery is low. Y? Memory effect of the NiCd battery, I am afraid there is some in any rechargeble battery.
The 770/N800/N810s use Lithium-Ion batteries, not Nickle-Cadmium. Li-ion batteries do not suffer from the memory effect of NiCad batteries, so, this precaution is both unneccessary and stupid as you're reducing the life of your battery by constantly draining it to low.

And of course, I like my mother earth , keep the environment green by not wasting energy.
You use the same amount of energy whether you charge often or infrequently. You're kidding yourself if you think the power usage of a small mobile device will actually make any difference.

To me this is one of the big advantages of the 770. By leaving it on I can just pick it up and use it, rather than wait the extra few seconds it takes to get a laptop out if hybernate or standby mode.

And the wireless shuts off automatically after use even if I don't replace the cover.

I think they should have stressed this in a quick-start guide, I didn't know at first whether it was intended to work that way or not, and it would be easy to just assume that you had to turn it off after use to preserve battery life.