Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
I might've said to myself "Apple never invents anything, they just use existing concepts, repackage them and via massive marketing effort sell them to the iSheep", or something to those lines. Uncle Steve obviously listens to what I have to say since now the fruit company is pushing for a holographic display:

"A recently granted patent reveals that Apple, the company behind the iPod and iPhone, has been working on a new type of display screen that produces three dimensional and even holographic images without the need for glasses.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...c-display.html

Slap it on the iPad and I might finally consider buying one. But naturally only after I've obtained a MeeGo device with the super awesome MeeGo character set.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
I don't think that is entirely new; I think Ive seen atleast a digital photo-frame that produces a stereoscopic image if viewed from the right distance. Ofcourse there is lots of room for development since the technology currently only achieves a rather gimicky effect.

The Following User Says Thank You to MoKopila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
I might've said to myself "Apple never invents anything, they just use existing concepts, repackage them and via massive marketing effort sell them to the iSheep", or something to those lines. Uncle Steve obviously listens to what I have to say since now the fruit company is pushing for a holographic display:

"A recently granted patent reveals that Apple, the company behind the iPod and iPhone, has been working on a new type of display screen that produces three dimensional and even holographic images without the need for glasses.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...c-display.html

Slap it on the iPad and I might finally consider buying one. But naturally only after I've obtained a MeeGo device with the super awesome MeeGo character set.

It's NOT holographic. Holographic allows you to look at the object from any angle (maybe, in limited range, like 120 degrees instead of 180 degrees). The described Apple's display is weak imitation of holography, working only when watcher is in the corresponding spot:
The system relies upon a special screen that is dotted with tiny pixel-sized domes that deflect images taken from slightly different angles into the right and left eye of the viewer.

Apple also proposes using 3D imaging technology to track the movements of multiple viewers and the positions of their eyes so that the direction the image is deflected by the screen can be subtly adjusted to ensure the picture remains sharp and in 3D
It's a stereoscopic screen, which requires more electricity and processing power because it has to follow movements of each watcher. Any lag in the rendering can cause unpleasant feelings because you will see the image you weren't expected to see.

And it wasn't invented by Apple, either.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/te...y/04novel.html

Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
Aplle in taking claim for something they didn't invent shocker. Surely not...
The shocker is that they want to sell a mediocre implementation of 3D where 3D isn't needed at all. This screen will be battery eater. They are just showing off.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2010-12-27 at 11:20.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
And it wasn't invented by Apple, either.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/te...y/04novel.html
Aplle in taking claim for something they didn't invent shocker. Surely not...

The Following User Says Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ behind your firewall
for apple it's new technology, but for other companys it's old already

like http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/21/t...omorrow-no-gl/

The Following User Says Thank You to percypogi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by percypogi View Post
for apple it's new technology, but for other companys it's old already

like http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/21/t...omorrow-no-gl/
I don't understand how digital camera photographs these stereoscopic screens.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Just because Apple patent something doesn't mean they'll actually use it in a product. And with the way the patent systems in general are broken (the US one in particular), it may be that they haven't done anything new or innovative in this field.

And in other news, Nintendo have developed a glasses-free display for their new handheld console (the 3DS) which they announced in the summer and I believe is due for release in March.

If Apple's display is actually holographic, I'd be interested to see it, but this seems far too gimmicky for Apple, and it is probably something they have patented "just in case", rather than being tech they plan to use.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 292 | Thanked: 348 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
So apple changes the name of a technology and says it's theirs?
Reading the site the OP posted, they mention .:

The system relies upon a special screen that is dotted with tiny pixel-sized domes that deflect images taken from slightly different angles into the right and left eye of the viewer.

By presenting images taken from slightly different angles to the right and left eye, this creates a stereoscopic image that the brain interprets as three-dimensional.
Well, this is the 3DS technology, aswell as many other devices.

See this for future reference, this is the techonology's name...

So, well, seems this is not only apple's new features, but whatever,
in the future, people will call it so, as steve jobs seems to be
a wizard, everything he touches becomes gold!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luiscesjr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I don't understand how digital camera photographs these stereoscopic screens.
You use a special camera with 2 separate lenses (do a search on amazon for "3d digital camera" for a few examples you can buy) or you could use two separate cameras next to each other or for something static use the same camera and move it to get the left and right views.

EDIT:Just realised you were talking about the pictures in the article, well, they can't, they're obviously computer generated ones.

Last edited by retsaw; 2010-12-27 at 22:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
You use a special camera with 2 separate lenses (do a search on amazon for "3d digital camera" for a few examples you can buy) or you could use two separate cameras next to each other or for something static use the same camera and move it to get the left and right views.

EDIT:Just realised you were talking about the pictures in the article, well, they can't, they're obviously computer generated ones.
Truly holographic display doesn't depend on the number of your eyes, and digital camera (2D or 3D) can capture it.
http://www.zebraimaging.com/products/motion-displays
With stereoscopic non-holographic screen, a 2D digital camera can capture one of the views only when it is in appropriate position, and a 3D digital camera can capture 3D photograph only when both its eyes are in needed position.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: