Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Here's a video of the 'Android 3' music player running on the Galaxy Tab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X76cg8fWXr0

Looking very good on the bigger screen!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
The rumormill is swirling that Samsung is going to be announcing the Galaxy Tab 2 at CES in a few weeks:

http://www.thegalaxytab.com/2010/12/...2-at-ces-2011/

The specs announced include a Tegra 2 SoC as well as Android 2.4/3.0 Honeycomb. There's even talk of a 7-inch AMOLED display, though this seems to be purely speculation.

Now, its customary for companies to announce before release, but if true, I'm curious what Samsung plans as their release date. Are they going to be going through one major revision of the hardware per year, or will this cycle be shortened?

Something tells me that these rumors will be false, but it will be interesting to see nonetheless.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
It seems that even that Tab is receiving a little magazine love. PopSci magazine has a special Tab version for the 7-inch screen. It's called Mag+.

http://www.popsci.com/announcements/...ung-galaxy-tab

Very interesting. If the price is right, this could be worth considering, but nothing crazy like $5/issue. This is basically identical to the iPad version of the magazine, only built for a smaller screen.

I wonder if they plan to sell it using the Market, or sell it outside of the market...

Interesting.

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Very interesting. If the price is right, this could be worth considering, but nothing crazy like $5/issue. This is basically identical to the iPad version of the magazine, only built for a smaller screen.

I wonder if they plan to sell it using the Market, or sell it outside of the market...
It is in the Market priced at about £1.28 whatever that is in your currency. Market reviews seem to be fluctuating between 5 star ("This is a beautifully designed app") and 1 star ("This is a $2 slide show. With no refunds" or "Don't waste your money, it's just a slideshow of their tech awards with no articles, just a blurby letter from the editor.")

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duncan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
gotta say im impressed with the tablet and with android, ive only used it for a few hours but it looks great so far, currys uk were totally unhelpful, asked if i could connect to wifi to test flash, said no, asked if i could return it if i got it home and flash wasnt good enough, said no, needless to say i didnt say goodbye on my way out, luckily pc world was next door and there basically the same company, tried flash instore and liveleak, youtube, vimeo all worked great, vimeoHD wasnt HD quality tho, compared to the crisp HD on my wifes ipad from vimeoHD, and the preinstalled video trailers dont look HD either, i would blame the screen but youtube seems to be giving me good HD, so im not complaining at all, i did read about the galaxy tab2 speculation recently but like i told my wife when she wanted to wait for the ipad2, theres always something newer and better just around the corner, personally i live for today, it's better to burn out than to fade away

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
It is in the Market priced at about £1.28 whatever that is in your currency. Market reviews seem to be fluctuating between 5 star ("This is a beautifully designed app") and 1 star ("This is a $2 slide show. With no refunds" or "Don't waste your money, it's just a slideshow of their tech awards with no articles, just a blurby letter from the editor.")
£1.28 seems a little steep for a magazine, especially considering the decreased cost of physical production and distribution, but it's not out of the question for an issue.

I also like the idea of yearly subscriptions as there's less to think about from month-to-month and there is potentially a bulk price break. Is their a yearly subscription option?

In the end, a magazine is going to be more a slide show than an interactive app. Anything more, and the categorization of 'magazine' becomes erroneous. I suspect what matters most is the content and how much you enjoy reading.

I'm not a big magazine person, though I can see myself trying out an issue for 5#!7s and giggles.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Here's a neat sounding app. It basically allows you to watch TV streams from various places around the net on your Android device.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...roid-streamer/

The app is still very much in development, but would be very cool with the Tab if it worked as expected!

EDIT: This app has been suspected of being untrustworthy, and is not recommended for download or installation!

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-01-01 at 15:49.

This is a neat widget for you Tab homescreen. SiMi folder!

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...t-for-android/

It's basically an iphone-esque folder widget for your many home-screens. Pretty cool for organizing apps, and seems to have some useful customization features!

This is HUGE news! Ubuntu on the HD2!

http://www.xda-developers.com/window...-hd2-released/

So why in a Tab thread? Possibilities, man!

What you're looking at is Ubuntu netbook remix (which is touch friendly as iirc) running on the HTC HD2 smartphone. News like this is extremely encouraging that we will see more OS ports to

Imagine dual-booting Ubuntu and Android on the Tab? Or how about using VM ware to run Ubuntu inside of Android (yes VMWare for Android is real)?

Though at best the Tab will be a poor laptop replacement (small screen and relatively slow SoC for traditional OSs). But this is a cool development which paves the way for future geekery.

Here's an interesting story about an iPhone user moving to Android:
http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog...ersonal-story/

It's interesting that some of these points aren't more talked about when comparing the two systems.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy