Can we port this app from android to Maemo? It is an app called Wifi Calling. This was introduced by T-Mobile as one of their 3GPP network widely known in USA as UMA. This app was only offered for certain devices but not it has been hacked to work with the Nexus One with changes in kernel and libs which I think might be possible in Maemo too?

Will be greatly appreciated if this can be done, then I can use my N900 at places I visit all the time where they do not have Tmobile Signal.
Here is an article that guides you to all the download files and hack to get that working on Nexus One.
http://sefanboy.com/2010/11/11/t-mob...gle-nexus-one/

Porting an app, especially a closed source app, has to be done by the company that developed it. At best you could try and use it with Nitdroid, but beyond that there's no real chance.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Porting an app, especially a closed source app, has to be done by the company that developed it. At best you could try and use it with Nitdroid, but beyond that there's no real chance.
well i did not know that it was a closed source.

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
well i did not know that it was a closed source.
Expect that most software in "app stores" and provided by carriers to end-users is. If you think it might be open source, search around first and see if the software in question is available in source form.

Dalvik

We should port Dalvik to maemo:
So most of android apps will work in maemo.

here is a link to the discussion in xda forums where they are trying to port this over to different android phones, may be this would explain something to tye people on the know how of codes?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=807116&page=2

Whats wrong with built-in SIP client?

The Following User Says Thank You to aligatro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by gerdich View Post
Dalvik

We should port Dalvik to maemo:
So most of android apps will work in maemo.
I question the value of this not at all small task when you can just duel boot into a real Android environment with NITDroid to run crappy Android Java apps.

Originally Posted by aligatro View Post
Whats wrong with built-in SIP client?
if you read about it, its not a sip. it is based on the GAN.
simply: if you are connected to a wifi router the phone will also assume that the router is TMobile USAs tower hence you can make and receive calls, sms, mms.
wifi router is somehow acting as a gateway but not in a traditional way. if you want you can use UMA as a search criteria in any of your choice of search wngine and look it up. so far I know of TMobile USA and Orange in Europe that utilizes this service which is very beneficial if you do not have any cellular signal at your house and you travel outsid country a lot.

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
I question the value of this not at all small task when you can just duel boot into a real Android environment with NITDroid to run crappy Android Java apps.
If the Android application works in maemo it can be integrated with other maemo applications.

The port is surely a big task.

But it is not impossible.

The folllowing elements give hope:

There is a project that runs dalviks dex-files on top of java jre.
The kernel for the actual Android is a regular kernel similar to maemo.
There is already little success porting dalvik to ubuntu which is debian which is similar to maemo.
NitDroid works already on maemo hardware and dalvik on maemo could use the libraries on the nitdroid partition.

Last edited by gerdich; 2011-01-04 at 14:54.