Active Topics

Notices

[2011-01-05 13:24:01] Processing package apmefo 0.11-1. Uploader: hrw, builder: builder1
[2011-01-05 13:24:04] Building apmefo 0.11-1 for target 'maemo-fremantle-i386-extras-devel'
[2011-01-05 13:24:27] OK
[2011-01-05 13:24:33] Signing build results
[2011-01-05 13:24:34] apmefo 0.11-1 has been queued for loading into fremantle extras-devel repository
[2011-01-05 13:24:34] You can find more info about this build here: https://garage.maemo.org/builder/fre...apmefo_0.11-1/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hrw For This Useful Post:

And by releasing this version I want to say that I will not provide any support to this application. During next week(s) I will abandon Maemo5 environment.

So sad another dev going out? Oh well that's life Me still stuck till I see a good moto droid 3
BTW mind if I ask but what's the changelog?

Short changelog:

- enabled autorotation
- handle broken .desktop files (like Gasballs)
- added UI source files into tarball
- new UI for app
- no more tabs
- new UI for dialog selection
- no warning on start
- folders moved into separate window
- activate/deactivate as menu options with Yes/No question

Some things left to do for brave next dev:

- check how to make dialogs same orientation as main window
- do not scan for applications when addapp dialog is cancelled
- reset appslist after changing folder
- enable/disable buttons when it has sense
- check why dialogs can be opened many times
- change folders window
- make it stacked window
- add rename
- show list of folder with icons
- allow to change order

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hrw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Thank you for releasing this, and for sticking with it until it pushed through auto-builder.

Might we get an answer for why you're no longer interested in the Maemo environment as a whole? (Just the usual lack of Nokia support/living-up-to-their-open-sourcing-word, MeeGo/Qt replacing Maemo, etc; personal not-interest-in-N900-anymore; or other reasons?)

At any rate, thank you for implementing some much needed improvements for ApMeFo, and for taking the time to push them into the repositories, where the end user can conveniently use them. If I feel up to it (my coding knowledge is insufficient to say the least right now) I will send you word to take over being the maintainer for this. No guarantees, and it won't be too soon if it does happen, but it's possible, if no one more qualified shows interest.

Why I am leaving Maemo5? If you would read my blog you will probably find answer.

I bought Nokia N900 with developer discount so it costed me 250€ but I got only 2 weeks of warranty (which was enough to replace first device which had some white pixels). This price was enough for "let's buy and check -- will sell if not use".

Device at start was a bit bulky but I accepted it. Software was limited but Maemo had quite good developers community so I thought that it will get improved. Time passed, we have some good apps, some great ones and lot of crap too.

With previous phone (Nokia E66 Symbian v3fp1) I had very good email client (Profimail), few very good calendar applications, working navigation with voice and turn-by-turn infos. N900 never got any of those... Even after year of being on market. Why? Who would like to support niche device which is not supported by vendor?

Ok, Nokia provided PR1.2 and then PR1.3 - but what do they changed? Email app is still limited (no push support), calendar is a joke, no usable navigation.

I use N900 to check email (modest with few imap accounts), twitter (khweeteur + witter as backup), browse a web when I do not have my computers nearby (opera mobile). I do check my facebook status in opera mobile because there is no application for it.

Skype is used by me only for outgoing calls when I am abroad. Jabber/ICQ accounts I have disabled most of time. I do not even use mediaplayer now...

Some time ago I installed Android FroYo on N900 to check how it works. And I found usable apps there... K9-mail is far better then Modest for example.

So it looks like it is time for me to get phone which will serve my needs and will adapt to me. Because for now I had to adapt to n900.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hrw For This Useful Post:
We share the same thoughts with that but somehow I still have no choice but to stay with my n900 unless I see an android device which would have physical keyboard & front camera for a real 3g video call using a mobile phone number.
Let's face it even developers need at least some basic stuffs also.

FYI, this causes hildon-home to chew through RAM after 9+ hours of uptime.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
FYI, this causes hildon-home to chew through RAM after 9+ hours of uptime.
I believe that ApMeFo (even the old one) exposes a bug in Hildon desktop (which I also believe that CSSU has resolved). Can you rate/compare it to v0.9.6 (which is what I'm using)?