how can i switch from wifi to the 3g connection in gingerbread?

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by geekygenes View Post
hmmm I'm not used to the Android as of yet, I'm mostly used to debian and I was thinking of as soon as sleep or the locking mechanism kicks in drop bme and if this is closed source and not part of Gingerbread or Nitdroid why has it been used.
My question is what power management function does Android usually use? And is this in the works for Nitdroid also what I don't understand is why use a closed code on an open platform.
I understand in terms of applications but shouldn't core functionality be open.
Because NIT uses a patched Maemo's kernel.
It not uses a native kernel because some HW driver are released only as binary module with no sources and so changing kernel is equal to lose HW support for some components.
Unfortunately in these components is included BME which is a vital component

I don't know if using MeeGo's kernel sources will be better
MeeGo has same kernel version of Gingerbread and in theory MeeGo N900's version should have all HW drivers

Well yes in theory Meego's kernal most likely would be the better option hmmmm.. The only simple solution I can think of for this charging problem is to include an option to block Gingerbread&Nitdroid from locking if the phone is charging and to block sleeping as well if charging and to just turn off or dim the screen when not in use without the phone going into sleep mode or locking itself.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 1,019 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by geekygenes View Post
hmmm I'm not used to the Android as of yet, I'm mostly used to debian and I was thinking of as soon as sleep or the locking mechanism kicks in drop bme and if this is closed source and not part of Gingerbread or Nitdroid why has it been used.
My question is what power management function does Android usually use? And is this in the works for Nitdroid also what I don't understand is why use a closed code on an open platform.
I understand in terms of applications but shouldn't core functionality be open.
Well, if you could write (and most important!! -- test bunch of use-cases) good open source replacement for BME - go ahead... I'll be happy to see it... after couple of month (very optimisctic).
Why should smbd waste his time for writing smth which will be BME in best case?
Charging is controlled by software -- biggest Nokia's mistake. And if you try to search thru TMO, you'll see a lot of reports of problems caused by BME in Maemo.

I even have problems charging in maemo it charges on and off like mad and it doesn't matter how many times, I reflash the n900 it still happens and yes I am aware of the usb port fault but on this device in particular, I am typing from now the port has not been ripped out or fell out as of yet and I have had this device since March 2010.

Android charges better and doesn't drop it half as much so I am wondering how the bme and charging is different?
What is better in Nitroid&Gingerbread.

Last edited by geekygenes; 2011-01-07 at 02:24.

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
Argh it is a channel problem .

It sees ONLY channel 1

Now there are 12 APs active and Nitdroid (mido.fayad's version) sees only 3 APs
These APs are all on Channel 1.

I have moved my AP to channel 1 and tada nitdroid now sees it
Unfortunately I don't see any AP's at all. In Wifi/advanced/Regulatory domain it is set to 11.

Scan option does nothing also.

Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
Now there are 12 APs active and Nitdroid (mido.fayad's version) sees only 3 APs
These APs are all on Channel 1.
Ah.

Clean up partition, install Gingerbread from here:
http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?topic=1044.0
(using http://downloads.nitdroid.com/e-yes/ ).

So can anyone tell me how to hide the boot code from the Android/Gingerbread boot process, thanks in advance!

Only way - rebuild kernel without fb console.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by e-yes View Post
BME is not part of Gingerbread or NITDroid.
It's closed source crap from Maemo.
Any idea how to "fix" it??
The USB hostmode team are working on "jrbme" to allow charging when in hostmode, I don't think it is finished yet, but it might provide a solution when it is.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post: