http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YiXlkiq8Y0

I just watched this preview of Honeycomb and it's pretty impressive stuff.... Google have put in the resources dedicated to turning out the releases *fast*. What chance does MeeGo have given this competition.

It seems to address many of the usability concerns I have with Froyo, and perhaps it's time to give up on Nokia. By the time MeeGo hits, and eventually filters into tablets, Honeycomb will be 3 releases further on and racing ahead...

I'm just putting this out there, as I'm just hoping it won't be the case...

when I lost my N900 in a taxi I went out and bought myself an HTC Aria (toy) then installed Froyo, had a play... then decided I wanted quality, and bought an N8 (phone). Been pretty happy, only disappointment is S^3, however been eagerly awaiting MeeGo ever since...

Maybe I'll jump to Honeycomb tablet, and Gingerbread phone for for 2011 until Meego launches..... someday...

The Following User Says Thank You to dymaxion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
isn't the problem with android that you still can't really use it seriously without a google account? last time i checked was half a year ago, but if things haven't changed, using a "google-less" android is an academical exercise, not a practical option. - as this is still the case with honeycomb, it's out of the question to even consider it as a platform.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
meego is doomed,taking too long,will a couple of years to establish, before that time it will get shelved because people would rather go for a proven system! my opinion. honeycombe looks sweet as hell!

The Following User Says Thank You to airjaff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think Nokia already planning for a new OS(after Meego). Not yet revealed. My guess is that the announcement occur a month after the release date of N9.

I can't back this up with any source at the moment. But you can't prove this to be wrong either so here we are again. Face to face

Android is not a serious option for a mini computer. It's to to childish.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
The video is impressive.

My vision is that maemo has provided multitask and incredible web surfing while others didn't, and actually still doesn't do. The impression is that apple is not really focused on this, they are much more interested in the Apps than in any other things.

But google, assuming all we see in the video confirms, takes the multitask and the browser good points of meego, improves significantly, and that's it. Why should we wait for meego? What meego will bring that make we come back to nokia?

This is my opinion. At the time meego arrives, multitask and surfing experience will be very well covered by google, and I don't expect nokia creating something "new" and "magic".

So, at the end, the only point that nokia will have will be linux/liberty. The possibility to run a full linux, to run all apps already existent in linux, and to be able to do literally what you want with your device.

Even though, I am not sure that this will be enough. The video is really impressive.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I think Nokia already planning for a new OS(after Meego). Not yet revealed. My guess is that the announcement occur a month after the release date of N9.

I can't back this up with any source at the moment. But you can't prove this to be wrong either so here we are again. Face to face

Android is not a serious option for a mini computer. It's to to childish.
This is pretty close to Nokia's MO, but you made one mistake: the announcement will come a month or so *before* the N9 is released. They wouldn't dare release Meego without preemptively deprecating it. I wouldn't be surprised if the release announcement for the N9 included the phrase "please test all your applications on a Symbian device; Meego will be EOL in June."

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stenny For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by petrelli View Post
The video is impressive.

But google, assuming all we see in the video confirms, takes the multitask and the browser good points of meego, improves significantly, and that's it. Why should we wait for meego? What meego will bring that make we come back to nokia?
Indeed... they tick the multitasking, UI polish, apps, browser.

But more importantly they have some serious resources & momentum behind it... like every market in the world... the first to market has a serious advantage.

My fear is that by the time Meego comes out, there is so much catch up to do, it will be hard to attract developers across, because there is no established userbase and likewise users won't move as they will be missing certain established apps they have on iOS / Android. The longer Nokia delays, the more stuck in the Catch 22 they will become.

eg. I've been trying to ween my g/f off iOS, but she says, where the equivalent of app X, Y Z... I said sorry none on Symbian... none on Maemo, none on Meego... so she's sticking with iOS.

That's more the problem. Humans can become ingrained in a mindset & mindshare and that is hard to change the longer it persists.

I, just like many of you are probably a lot more nimble in terms of technology, OS, application... but for many this is not the case. If the majority rule, then that's where the market goes....

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
isn't the problem with android that you still can't really use it seriously without a google account? last time i checked was half a year ago, but if things haven't changed, using a "google-less" android is an academical exercise, not a practical option. - as this is still the case with honeycomb, it's out of the question to even consider it as a platform.
No really sure of that - where you go that message.

If you mean seriously in the sense of getting an level of integration between Contacts, Calendar and Email vis the google account then yes.

But you can still use Contacts, Calendar and email in a standalone fashion without a Google account. Also lack of a google account still doesnt prevent you from using the rest of Android platform effectively - at least as far as my usage has shown.

Of course if you want to install apps from Google Marketplace you do need a google account - but that has got nothing to do with Android. You can access other marketplaces which dont need a google account irrespective.

Quite frankly I dont get where you go that blanket statement from.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
This thread again seriously?? Come on guys, let's compare the 3rd version of a stable OS to another that hasn't even been released yet. FAIL.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
well if you will provide me with a meego device along with the honeycomb device i can give you a very good honeycomb Vs Meego preview.