Active Topics

Hello

I was installing some apps from extras (no testing or devel enabled, tools also enabled) using apt-get instead of the app manager. Since it seemed go smoother (less load and less wait than app manager) I've decided try to install some updates too. So I did an apt-get dist-upgrade without paying too much attention.

After it was finished I realized mp-fremantle-pr was removed to solve some conflict. So, here are the questions:

1) How can I reinstall mp-fremantle-pr?
2) What is the real difference between regular app manager and apt-get? I thought that the only difference was that with apt-get one could see all packages...
3) If I can reinstall that package, sticking to apt-get upgrade (instead of dist-upgrade) will behave just as if I were to install upgrades using app manager?

Thanks.
PS. I would like to avoid another reflash, if possible.

Last edited by soeiro; 2010-06-13 at 21:16. Reason: correct info

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
1) How can I reinstall mp-fremantle-pr?
apt-get install mp-fremantle-*

2) What is the real difference between regular app manager and apt-get? I thought that the only difference was that with apt-get one could see all packages...
I'm not certain. Generally speaking, app manager only deals with the user visible packages (and not with libraries, etc). It also has a far more strict view on dependencies/conflicts and often refuses to install where apt-get is quite happy. I suspect it won't ever uninstall a package (unless you've specifically chosen the uninstall option), whereas apt-get will quite happily uninstall whatever packages are required to satisfy the install request you make.

3) If I can reinstall that package, sticking to apt-get upgrade (instead of dist-upgrade) will behave just as if I were to install upgrades using app manager?
apt-get upgrade will only update packages you already have installed, so it shouldn't cause any problems (I've not seen any anyway). The issues more frequently come with either "apt-get install" or (as you say) "apt-get dist-upgrade". In either case, it's just a matter of reading through the changes it's proposing and understanding the implications though.

You can use apt-get -s to check 1st what it will do.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
apt-get install mp-fremantle-*
I've tried that, but the system says that there are broken dependencies and then it exits.

I'm used to command line aptitude and its options to help solve broken dependencies (under Debian testing). However, I think I've downgraded packages just once, a long time ago, and it involved pinning some packages and some other voodoo.

Be the way it looks, a lot of QT libraries and bindings were installed and among them there might be the thing the conflicts with mp-fremantle-pr. I just don't know and can't find a way around it.

Any further ideas?

By the way, thanks for the info. I'll take care of using only apt-get upgrade for now on (I have to pay attention, because I'm just used to "aptitude full-upgrade" in Debian testing).

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
I've tried that, but the system says that there are broken dependencies and then it exits.
Can you post the exact error? Does it mention what packages are causing issues, or does it just ask you to run "apt-get -f install"?

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
I had a very similar problem - there was an updated version of hildon-initscripts in the tools repo that bust the mp- package when I did a dist-upgrade. I did an apt-cache policy hildon-initscripts to see the versions available, then rolled back using apt-get install hildon-initscripts=version.number I think. After that I was able to put back the mp- package (and simultaneously install pr1.2) with a normal apt-get install.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Can you post the exact error? Does it mention what packages are causing issues, or does it just ask you to run "apt-get -f install"?
It was complaining about the version of hildon-initscripts to be installed being not compatible with mp-fremantle-generic-pr. Sorry for not posting it before, but I didn't have a connection for my N900 at the time I first posted. Thanks for helping out.

Turns out that hildon-initscripts that I had came from the tools repository.

Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
I had a very similar problem - there was an updated version of hildon-initscripts in the tools repo that bust the mp- package when I did a dist-upgrade. I did an apt-cache policy hildon-initscripts to see the versions available, then rolled back using apt-get install hildon-initscripts=version.number I think. After that I was able to put back the mp- package (and simultaneously install pr1.2) with a normal apt-get install.
Thanks very much for this. I thought I would have to dig how to pin down and downgrade everything, but there was no need. I just saw that my problem was exactly like yours and the solution worked. I had forgotten about "policy" and "=version"...

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
hi guys, I manually removed mp-fremantle-pr. have i to reinstall it? or can i live without it too? what it does?

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by maemo.it View Post
hi guys, I manually removed mp-fremantle-pr. have i to reinstall it? or can i live without it too? what it does?
no u can't. it's system package of maemo itself

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
no u can't. it's system package of maemo itself
Thank you ZogG. What happens without it?