Active Topics

I like the resistive touch...capacitive touch is a PITA.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Haider View Post
In fact I dont like Iphone at all and N900 is thr best phone available . But I prefer capacitive touch. One reason is that my N900's touch is less sensitive than of fewof my friends. I think it is because it has fallen alot of times.
Ah. Well, yes, the resistive screen is slightly (depends on how picky you are, maybe not slightly) less sensitive. That's part of how it works. It's nothing to do with dropping it (though I suppose that could make it less sensitive). On the other hand, the N900 has one of the most sensitive resistive touch screens around.

To be honest, 99% of the time, I don't feel like I have to actually 'press'. I mean, yes, if you're really paying attention, I can just graze the screen on an iPhone or Android phone; I have to slightly push on the N900. But I personally like that. I don't want it to think I'm touching it the moment I make contact with the screen, because I might want to brush some dust or something off the screen, or just want to point at something in a way that requires touching the screen without having to lock the screen. The advantages of using stylus, nail, gloved hand, pencil, pen, chopstick, whatever on the screen (while still having it be sensitive enough that it doesn't have to be pressed hard enough to damage it) instead of having to just use the fleshy part of my finger, to me, have always been enough to outweigh the lack of multitouch. (Plus, while I notice capacitive screens are more sensitive, I also notice the loss of precision. The iPhone 4, to its credit, is actually really nice when it comes to precision. Better than iPhone 3GS as far as I can tell. But the other stuff still makes it less pleasant for me to use.)

What I'd love to see in the future, since resistive screens can be sensitive enough by now to feel almost as good as capacitive ones (N900 being a good example, but the N900 is pretty old, stuff's even better now) is for smartphone OSs to have a setting option by default that lets you set the sensitivity of your screen. So that you can choose to have it respond to feather-like pressure, or set it to only count a 'press' when more pressure is applied.

Letting this be determined at an OS level would actually allow for even better stuff once resistive screens are sensitive enough - meaning, since touches can be registered at pressure X, but the OS doesn't necessarily have to count them until a higher pressure is reached, you could also have the OS count 'gestures' like swirl/circle at pressure 1.5X or above, but basic clicks at pressure 2X and above, or whatever. Point being, that stuff where you might want greater sensitivity, could use it, but the stuff where extreme sensitivity can get annoying could be tailored to not count the presses until it reaches a higher threshold.

Given what Stanton screens demonstrated months ago regarding precision of sensitivity (both position and pressure), and how they use a processing unit from the touchscreen to feed more coherent data to the rest of the device, you could easily implement something like this if someone had the vision to make it happen.

...wow I went off topic. Oh well.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
There's plenty of people who like Symbian just fine.
And many more who love it. Really do miss Symbian. It was quick and had a certain oomph that no other OS has.

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
I prefer the resistive screen; most of the desktop apps. that have been ported over (gftp, openoffice) would be a pain to use without a stylus.

Plus, not having to take my gloves off in the cold to use the phone is great, not sure my iPhone buddies can say that.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Ah. Well, yes, the resistive screen is slightly...
I think that maybe the shortest post of yours I've seen

Last edited by jd4200; 2011-01-11 at 02:01.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Unless you live in Antarctica, it's not always cold.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Why all intelligent forums have some stupid threads in them?

....jk....
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
For ME, the best phone is always the one with the best (latest & greatest) hardware. I am open to install custom apps/OS's on my device.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
And many more who love it. Really do miss Symbian. It was quick and had a certain oomph that no other OS has.
i really like the s80 much better then the s60...as a communicator user.

but i have to say, regarding quick...maemo is much much faster.

s60, after a while of usage, would be like.....select, wait, start, ok now you can use it! etc.

I am making the best phone. But promise me YOU wont find something stupid in that.

The Following User Says Thank You to seerajesh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Why all intelligent forums have some stupid threads in them?

....jk....
Good news, everybody! We're going to Walt Disney World!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MIBxhh_R_w
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
is this real?, not galaxy s!