Poll: Would you use a server offering free tablet services? (Jabber/E-mail/etc...)
Poll Options
Would you use a server offering free tablet services? (Jabber/E-mail/etc...)

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
There's also a $15 pm basic package (10gb disk, 256mb ram) you could test with, and I think it's a 1 month contract. They accept paypal payment too, makes it easy to use donations to keep it running. I'll happily donate $5pm or so towards it.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I think I will be going for that one... only problem is domain registration isn't possible. Gotta talk with Tex to see about moving over to it if he's interested. Finally, a decent place to run Openfire from.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Monroe, La
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I think I will be going for that one... only problem is domain registration isn't possible. Gotta talk with Tex to see about moving over to it if he's interested. Finally, a decent place to run Openfire from.
Pointing a subdomain from dreamhost would be very doable as we already have the dreamhost package for a year. I was looking at the DNS options in the web panel and it shouldn't be hard to point talk.jablet.net or something similar to an openfire server running somewhere else.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Arg, and after I shelled out $60 to 1and1 and then another $30 to dreamhost...

Man I wish these suggestions had come in sooner...

I keep my domains elsewhere (joker.com) and use tektonic. tektonic will give you a dedicated IP, you just need to set an A-Record (sub-domain) to point to that IP, or point the main domain to that IP.

If you want to run a mail server on the VPS, you'll need to set the jablet.net MX records to point to the VPS too.

Give me a shout if you need anything, Jay, I'll PM you my email address

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=11182&page=7

sorry

LOL... just a timing thing, pixel, no big deal. But you weren't the only one reading the thread.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Yeah, agreed. I feel bad about this. First round of donations will be going to a worthy charity - Texrat's hurting wallet and I'm being serious about it.

LOL... nah, don't sweat it. I haven't even seen the bill for 1and1 yet.

Oh, and jablet is registered through 1and1, so no worries regarding dreamhost registration. I have to keep it on 1and1 for 60 days before any transfer.

Also, I still want to eventually host ldug.org side-by-side with jablet, wherever it goes. But there is no big rush; let's keep proving things out as we can.

Also, I still want to eventually host ldug.org side-by-side with jablet, wherever it goes.
Absolutely.