Active Topics

Thanks for the effort [DarkGUNMAN] you don't know how much I wanted it

Oracle (or JCP?) should bring the improvements in Dalvik to Java and JavaME, so Java would be more interesting and usable (also) in mobile devices.

Some people have used microemulator with standard Java in N900. How this "real" JavaME will be different from that? microemulator lags several MIDP extensions?

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Oracle (or JCP?) should bring the improvements in Dalvik to Java and JavaME, so Java would be more interesting and usable (also) in mobile devices.

Some people have used microemulator with standard Java in N900. How this "real" JavaME will be different from that? microemulator lags several MIDP extensions?
PhoneME will be it's own environment taking up less resources and poentially less processing power, instead of a J2ME emulation running on top of a JavaVM.

MIcroemulator has been and still is good, but it doesn't support full screen, and can get jerky when running opera mini 5. I'm all for trying out a new solution and this is the first time I've had a chance to try something new and learn about source compiling on N900.

Better skin to microemulator will make it abit more usable.
But of course, running it top of desktop Java makes it little slower.

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 253 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by [DarkGUNMAN] View Post
Thank you very much for answering the call for help in the channel and having a go!

It would help me immensly if you could take me through the procedure you used to compile PhoneME Advanced mr2, as I would like to try and replicate the results with PhoneME Feature mr4 as this contains a more recent version of MIDP, which I am hoping will launch opera mini 4.
Bear in mind I am a novice at this and have only just learned how to chroot into the sdk image on my N900

I had a go at running with the following command:
cd /opt/phoneme
./bin/cvm -jar /home/opt/opera-mini-4.2.18887-advanced-en.jar

Got error message
jar: Could not find Main-Class manifest attribute

Does this mean it is looking for variables pointing to the main j2se installation?

if it is of any help I found a thread used by devs earleir in 2010 regarding building for N800 and N900.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...velopers/60613
I believe it is because I don't have midp working.. If you open the jar file you will see lots of MIDL options in the manifest file. It should work once I/WE get midp working again. Its also trickier to compile phoneme because you have to compile it outside of the sdk or chroot. It also requires a jdk and it becomes very difficult managing the make files. Also the design of the build system is meant for cross-compiling.. so you just tell the compiler where the target gcc and other tools are in the sdk

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 253 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Seems like it's been made with Qt?

"This workspace contains files that make use of the TrollTech QT libraries."
Yes it seems to use QT embedded.. but i'm also trying to get it to work with native gtk

To get a better understanding of cross compiling I'm downloading ubuntu and will install it in a virtualbox vm, as i would like to try and follow the same procedure and try to compile it myself to get a better understanding - we all learn by doing!

So any updates on this?

No major updates to report. Been a very busy week and haven't had the time to create a build environment (virtualbox decided to crash loading the ubuntu CD!)
Once I get a working Ubunto vm going then I'll ask for some help setting up the build environemnt. hopefully sometime afterwards I can try and compile phoneme_feature.

Originally Posted by [DarkGUNMAN] View Post
MIcroemulator has been and still is good, but it doesn't support full screen, and can get jerky when running opera mini 5.
MicroEmulator is nearly fullscreen (If you dont look at the small menu-line.)

(And Opera doesn't need Java on n900!)

Tags
java is dead, just shoot me