Active Topics

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
If you're a newbie with programming, then hands down Java is easier to pick up and learn. It will also help you with employment opportunities (e.g how many employers care that u know QT v.s Java???)
If you are a newbie or even an experienced programmer, I'd recommend Qt with Python. The downsides are mainly for commercial interest
  • You are distributing your source code
  • Does not meet Meego certification requirements due to deps outside of Meego Core (but it is perfectly fine for the community OBS)
  • Most programming competitions being announced from Intel or others seem to depend on you putting it in their App Store, see the above point.

As for Qt v Java:
  • If you are comparing the language, C++ knowledge better translates to Java knowledge than the other way
  • If you are comparing platforms, you are comparing Qt to Android, not Java. Take that as you will for employment opportunities in either.

If you're a newbie with programming, then hands down Java is easier to pick up and learn. It will also help you with employment opportunities (e.g how many employers care that u know QT v.s Java???)
Was thinking about Qt +python.

And python is easier than java if no mistake.

Originally Posted by Garfield007 View Post
Was thinking about Qt +python.

And python is easier than java if no mistake.
Go Qt and Python all the way. Python is quick and efficient, it's also very easy to learn.

Java, on the other hand, is slow and bulky.

e.g how many employers care that u know QT v.s Java???
Like, 59,000.

Last edited by mattbutsko; 2011-01-13 at 00:19.

Ty for advice.

Was reading a bit and there is like a project for port qt app to android no ?

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
My vote would actually be for python.
I'm studying java at uni and I'm learning python in my spare time, for some reason java doesn't seem to click with me compared to python.

for some reason java doesn't seem to click with me compared to python
That's because Python is faster and has more logical,easier syntax. Gotta love Python.

Which one seems like a faster, more versatile language?

or

Point is, Python's supreme.

Last edited by mattbutsko; 2011-01-12 at 22:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
If you are a complete newbie, I would recommend starting with just python. Get some "hello world" type stuff under your belt and then you can try to horn in qt (I recommend pyside over pyqt, though there is not really a whole lot of difference).

The really good thing about Python + Qt over going the Java/android route is that you can create a working Python + Qt app on your desktop or laptop, and then pretty much run it straight away on your N900 with little or no modification. (There is some work to packaging for the repositories, but that is another matter entirely, and the Mobility components make this a little trickier than it should be, but otherwise the statement is true.)

With Java there is a little more of a learning curve just to get your program up and running (managing jars and classpaths, etc.) though it is not that difficult once you get it under your belt. With Android programming, you are looking at running your app in an emulator on your desktop--Android apps are very specialized Java apps.

If you are somewhat geekily inclined, and are looking for something to actually write programs about to help you learn any of these languages, I would suggest you take a look at Project Euler. These are a series of programming puzzles that will force you to use alot of basic programming concepts.

Ultimately, I would suggest learning both Python and Java. Java is much more rigid than Python and will force you to use some more formal design patterns (google the phrase design patterns when you have some object oriented programming under your belt), which is a good thing if you are writing code that someone (including yourself) will need to read again. Python can be written as formally and structured as you like, and I would argue that there is little that can be done in Java that cannot be done just as well in Python, but Python is far superior for writing scripts and one-off programs (like a one-time data conversion or a quick-and-dirty screen scraper). I can have a problem resolved in Python before I get an Eclipse project created with a properly configured Maven POM file to handle dependencies and build the app, and generate 250 lines of code creating getters and setters...you get the idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Dallas, TX
Another rumor:
Nokia N9 Loaded With MeeGo OS - Release Date March 2011
http://www.prwallstreet.com/4447/seo...arch_2011.html

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Garfield007 View Post
Hello,

Was curious to know if there is some news about N9.

I was tempted to start develop in QT for play with my N900 and my futur N9 when out but i seen the motorola Atrix at CES who s very good and then was thinking too skip N9 and start play with android.

Any rumors or news who give a date for N9 like end of year or next one ?
give QT/Quick a chance it is far better development API than android imho... cause it also works on desktop an netbook etc...

Also supported on more mobile platforms like symbian (E7/N8) and winmobile etc...

There also is some QT OSS project trying to port QT too Android

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-01-13 at 00:18.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
yeah and you are a ttroll. doesnt have a clue what you are talking about.

Qt is used everywhere!

Tags
eat your brains, just shoot me, ok bang!, your dead