Posts: 330 | Thanked: 483 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Contact lost&found.

Do you have IMEI of N900 written down anywhere? Like, original Nokia's box, if you haven't bothered to write down it before.

I find it highly disturbing when a lost device is considered lost forever. It isn't.
Well not everyone would just hand in a £500 phone to lost property. Particularly if they were short on cash or there was no-one around to judge them.

Can anyone here honestly say they wouldn't be the SLIGHTEST bit tempted to keep it if they found one?

fAircrack (Aircrack GUI): Point-and-click pwnage for your N900
Now with John the Ripper integration

The Following User Says Thank You to FRuMMaGe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by FRuMMaGe View Post
Well not everyone would just hand in a £500 phone to lost property. Particularly if they were short on cash or there was no-one around to judge them.

Can anyone here honestly say they wouldn't be the SLIGHTEST bit tempted to keep it if they found one?
I already have one N900 so getting a second one isn't all that tempting. If you had nine N900 would you be tempted to keep a tenth N900 you found? Clearly no. And similarly, keeping a found N900 as a second device when you already legally have the first N900 isn't all that tempting.

If I found one, I would contact the network provider of the SIM card in it and tell them the IMEI so that they would find the owner. And yes, I might play with the found N900 while the network provider sleeps and looks for the owner - like, turn on FM transmitter on one and FM receiver on the other.

But I wouldn't cross the line. It's too risky.

It's always better to make friends with the owner of the lost-and-found device, than to keep it to yourself and be afraid of every shadow.

You don't know what the penalty can be for keeping somebody's device instead of returning it.

And once you tell a lie, you have to keep telling larger and larger lies to keep cover. It's not a pleasant prospect.

For me money isn't an issue. I didn't buy my N900 - I got it (unlocked) as gift. And I will not sell my N900. At least I think so.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound harsh. For me it's not a topic to laugh about.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2011-01-15 at 01:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 483 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I already have one N900 so getting a second one isn't all that tempting. If you had nine N900 would you be tempted to keep a tenth N900 you found? Clearly no. And similarly, keeping a found N900 as a second device when you already legally have the first N900 isn't all that tempting.

If I found one, I would contact the network provider of the SIM card in it and tell them the IMEI so that they would find the owner. And yes, I might play with the found N900 while the network provider sleeps and looks for the owner - like, turn on FM transmitter on one and FM receiver on the other.

But I wouldn't cross the line. It's too risky.

It's always better to make friends with the owner of the lost-and-found device, than to keep it to yourself and be afraid of every shadow.

You don't know what the penalty can be for keeping somebody's device instead of returning it.

And once you tell a lie, you have to keep telling larger and larger lies to keep cover. It's not a pleasant prospect.

For me money isn't an issue. I didn't buy my N900 - I got it (unlocked) as gift. And I will not sell my N900. At least I think so.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound harsh. For me it's not a topic to laugh about.
I meant hypothetically, putting yourself in the shoes of someone in need of money, or just not a very moral person.

I think we can safely assume that they were probably not in possession of an N900 already

fAircrack (Aircrack GUI): Point-and-click pwnage for your N900
Now with John the Ripper integration

The Following User Says Thank You to FRuMMaGe For This Useful Post: