I have spent far too much time trying to get emacs to work within scratchbox, Across several different (-buntu) distributions I have run into the same error over and over again when trying to use emacsclient as detailed in the reference manual for 3.1. The error I keep getting is "Can't stat /tmp/esrv1000-maemo-desktop" (maemo is the user in this case because I'm using the maemo sdk image). The issue is explained and fixed here - emacs on the host operating system is creating a different file name from the one expected by the emacsclient included with scratchbox. The solution provided is editing the emacsclient binary, but I have no idea where the source code for it is.

help?

Has no one else (on these forums of course) ran into this problem? Really?!

Originally Posted by notnarb View Post
Has no one else (on these forums of course) ran into this problem? Really?!
Give it a bit of time. People on the forum are spread all over the world. Some of us do sleep...sometimes.

Hi notnarb ,

Yes, I'm running into the same problem ! Thanks for posting about it, it's the only answer I get from web search ... and it looks useful !
I've not tried yet, but I'll watch this thread ...

I found a workaround that doesn't involve recompiling the SDK:

1) Look at the error message from emacsclient to find out where it expects to find the socket file. In my case:
Can't stat /tmp/esrv1000-polydeb
(polydeb is my hostname)

2) Now start emacs outside scratchbox and do M-x start-server

3) Look in /tmp for the socket file that emacs actually creates. Mine was /tmp/emacs1000/server.

4) Create a symbolic link from the actual socket file to the file that emacsclient expects:
> ln -s /tmp/emacs1000/server /tmp/esrv1000-polydeb
Voila!