Posts: 205 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ manila, philippines
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
But Nokia are supporting Symbian3 for now. Remember it didn't take them too long to drop Maemo support. And while that is less of a problem because the Maemo community seem to be doing a better job at keeping things fresh than Nokia ever could've done, it makes me think that as soon as the E7 is out in the wild, a few months after that, E7 (and N8) owners will be frustrated because it's likely that Nokia will drop (or reduce) support for Symbian3 as they focus their attention on Meego. And because of the nature of Symbian (and that Nokia are in charge of it now) it could become a closed OS. No tweaks, no homemade apps.
While I'm sure Symbian3 is an improvement over S60, it can't be better than Maemo5. Just take this tiny example: on the E7 desktop, you are restricted as to where your widgets and shortcuts go, in 1 of 4 squares. Sure you can choose the square, but I can do whatever I want with my widgets and shortcuts on my (4, not 3!) Maemo homescreens! Just that alone makes me wonder just how un-customizable Symbian3 is compared to Maemo5.
Very true, but in a marketing standpoint, an open source OS just scares off app developers that actually gives most meaning to a platform. that is why i think maemo5 lacked all those game titles in the first place despite its capability.

they might indeed abandon symbian but by far we at least had to wait about a year for pr1.3 after n900 release while symbian 3 is already headed to pr2.0 on feb and pr3.0 on Q2. just a few months after n8 release. and reportedly packing 50+ major features on just pr2.0. that is just what i meant by my support comment. also,

if they were to drop symbian, they would have already done so a long time ago. don't you think?

fact is not everyone are like us who spend most of the time tinkering with the OS itself.

Last edited by shockgiga; 2011-01-17 at 23:37.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
You know, I think the fact that Nokia released Symbian^3 in an unfinished state really is telling. Soon the qwerty portrait update is being released, which is good news for N8 owners, but why wasn't this part of the original OS? People don't want to spend $600 on a new E7, to then have to wait 4 months for those browser updates, or whatever, to make it work the way they expected it to in the first place!
Show me a mobile OS that IS 'finished' at launch..!

Remember, Symbian will be Nokia's staple OS from featurephone to smartphone, so support should be there. They've also elected to drop the 'Symbian^3/Symbian^4' staged development path in favour of seamless upgrades, so any new Symbian deviceds should be good for a couple of years.

I've just received an update for my 'ancient' X6 and Nokia have recently updated lots of S60 devicds like E72, E55, etc, so if what is past is prologue, NEW Symbian should be a safe bet.

...but then we said that about N97...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
im getting one for my wife, but not sure she can move from her current n97 mini. that form factor is just perfect imo. id love love love to see meego in the n97 mini form factor someday

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
The new Symbian is very solid AFAIK. Soon it'll get a big update and would be even better, including a new web browser (which is currently one of its biggest weak points, even though you can always download and use 3rd party browsers for it)...

The Following User Says Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
hmmmm...symbian, man s60 was the bomb diggedy back before touchscreens, after the frustration of owning a n97 and the corruption of now owning a n900, i think i'll pass till something better is on offer,

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
...Symbian makes me feel like as if I'm being treated like a 2 year old, getting locked up in a very small playpen with a squeaky ball as my only tool, and then neglected.
Atleast with Maemo I'm getting locked up and abandoned in McGyver's garage.
Symbian - suitable for small children of all ages,
diapers not included

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2011-01-18 at 10:50. Reason: link missed

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
...which is more than likely going to be the N9 running Meego.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the E7 actually is the same device pictured in the N9 rumor blogs a few months back - an early prototype anyway.

Originally Posted by dchky View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the E7 actually is the same device pictured in the N9 rumor blogs a few months back - an early prototype anyway.
We will know soon enough (or so they say )

Now that i know how interesting device an open mobile-computer-phone as N900 can be, no way i would swap down to some closed system as S^3 again. My N900 does everything i need for me.

-

Symbian is not as close as you think - its probably as open as Android (though I'm not quite sure about it).

The Following User Says Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post: