My insurer is replacing my n900 with a HTC Desire Z (n900 discontuned apparently!)

I need to copy all contacts from an n900 (I have a backup of my old phone and a friends n900 to load it onto). Is there an easy synching option?

Any tool to upload online then pull back down to android?

thanks in advance if you can help

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Firstly, HTC desire Z? you could have asked for a better substitute (not that there is one but Nexus S is cool).

Android does have a phone switcher app but N900 is not in its compatibility list (though no harm in trying). There are sever ways to do this. You can export your N900 address book into vCard3.0 format and then import them into the android (usb mode and store them on androids storage).

I should really explores android more, looks like everyones switching over.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
How do you export to vCard format?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
contacts > export > all> choose vcard 2.1 or 3.0 > choose location

i've done this and it worked fine although android takes forever to read them in...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
I didnt choose the Desizre Z, I wanted n900 back I was well happy with Maemo. I always feel claustrophobic on iOS and Android, our desktop and task switcher just seems so free and roomy. Anyways they are discontinued apparently so I had 4 choices, Desire Z, Trophy 7, N8, or some blackberry. So went with Desire Z for its keyboard, an it seems decent enough. In 6months my contracts up and i'll hopfully be going onto a Meego phone if there is one???

I'll give the vCard thing a go when the phone arrives here tomorrow, thanks for the advice

Best way is to put the micro sd card from your desire into the n900, export all contacts (as explained above) and choose the memory card as a save location. Then put the sd card back in your desire and import from the sd card within the contacts settings. vcard2.1 worked for me, when importing you get 3 options that arn't very clear, import 1, import selected or all, its the 3rd option or 3rd one down. Thats it

The Following User Says Thank You to natedog400 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
contacts > export > all> choose vcard 2.1 or 3.0 > choose location

i've done this and it worked fine although android takes forever to read them in...
Nice one, cheers for the tip bro.

Originally Posted by southwalesboy View Post
My insurer is replacing my n900 with a HTC Desire Z (n900 discontuned apparently!)

I need to copy all contacts from an n900 (I have a backup of my old phone and a friends n900 to load it onto). Is there an easy synching option?

Any tool to upload online then pull back down to android?

thanks in advance if you can help
Hmm, export from the contacts interface of the N900. Upload to Google. Then sign in with the same Google account on the HTC Desire Z to sync them.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
why dont you just sync to outlook, and then sync your new Z to outlook too?

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
why dont you just sync to outlook, and then sync your new Z to outlook too?
not everyone uses outlook :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msa For This Useful Post: