Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by archzai View Post
I'm glad to see more and more people are realizing N900 was terrible.
As much as everyone says iPhone is bad with "less features than N900", the iPhone4 has been great so far and I've really enjoyed having it.
I found people hang around and post here are divided into two very distinct groups:

1) Know-how: found themselves the correct ways in N900 and are willing to share and help people around;
2) Whiners: got stuck in every corners and refused to receive help from nice people here as that would make them look like idiots. In hope to further proving themselves not idiots, they stay in the forum and keep telling people how bad N900 is, so as to get more people side with them. Their ultimate satisfaction is to find anyone agrees with them.

However, I just don't understand the mentality here, that you hop around merrily and telling people how happy you couldn't find your way in N900 that iPhone is the only phone you can use, in a N900 forum. I'd feel extreme ashame doing so, not that I think ip4 is bad, or N900 is perfect in any way. It's just...a shame.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
For my part I will never buy another cell phone, there is simply no need. I purchased the n900 as a tablet and while its dimensions are simply too diminutive to really operate at that level, that is exactly what I want, as a single device of mobile choice.

I have been using Windows 7 as of late and am truly impressed with the handwriting and speech recognition available on this platform. I love open source software but the strides Windows 7 has come in these two regards are unparalleled. Choosing a new mobile device will not be an easy decision. Being able to write my notes, and then if I choose have it converted to written text is incredible, the same is true of my spoken words. Real power that is something I find perplexing at this moment.

Last edited by happymonkey; 2011-01-30 at 07:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to happymonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by archzai View Post
I'm glad to see more and more people are realizing N900 was terrible.
As much as everyone says iPhone is bad with "less features than N900", the iPhone4 has been great so far and I've really enjoyed having it.

The phone does everything it's meant to do quickly and smoothly. Email works so well (both work and personal) with easy to set up push that doesn't kill the battery as insanely fast as the N900 did. SMS loads really fast, OS runs way smoother as well. The phone is thinner and lighter as well.

Additionally, a lot of people nowadays use phones more and more not for just talking, sms or email but also to socialize via games etc. Most of my friends use iPhone which makes playing games etc with them easier.

I have loved having and iPhone ever since I got it, and I can see myself loving an Android device as well. Never again will I look at the N900 and think I missed out on anything. So thick, heavy and took much more effort to have things running smoothly.

N900 had an upper hand over maybe the 3Gs, but iPhone4 blew it out of the water (and only 6 months later). Equal to better resolution, camera is just as good as N900 (if not better) and more importantly, CAPACITIVE screen. What advantage does resistive have now. I can go snowboarding with my iPhone and still use it with gloves now (given I have the special tabs on my gloves, and it works perfectly).
N900 pwns iphone *****.
In all seriousness, N900 can do a lot more than iphone. I can browse full flash sites like grooveshark out of the box with n900. I can also use TV-out out of the box without separately purchased hardware(not even recent dual core android phones do that). I can edit full word(doc docx) documents using abiworld on n900 whereas on my iphone i'm stuck with nothing comparable... Also, n900 has a proper file manager system lacking in iphone. Heck, the iphone cant do basic stuff like delete music off device without computers.
Im an apple fan and love the iphone design and speed but I cant justify 4x the price for less functionality. Although the macs are amazing(in design and OS) the iphone and ipad(both of which I have) arent as functional as mobile computers as the n900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ankit255 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
So said all the Zaurus users with their open (wide open with open Zaurus) Devices. Now try finding the Zaurus community and one live user who uses it still.
A lot bought the N900, as something that was actually a replacement had (mostly) come along.

Don't get married to your device man. Life continues and so does the progression of devices to make life easier and older unsupported devices become - old and useless. Just embrace the change.
I think the device is less important than what it represents. It's not a totally closed, locked down OS like iOS/WP7/BB, and it's not "open" but wholly controlled and developed privately by one company (Android.) It actually uses existing open source projects.

And hoping that Nokia too continues with the change with N9 and supports it (unlike the N900).
I'll be happy if they cooperate enough to get full functionality on stock MeeGo. Versus, say, an Android device that gets ignored for over a year

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
I found people hang around and post here are divided into two very distinct groups:

1) Know-how: found themselves the correct ways in N900 and are willing to share and help people around;
2) Whiners: got stuck in every corners and refused to receive help from...
and life is just a box of chocolate.

everything is so simple and black and white...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
why the freak would I buy an Iphone when I already has a n900 that kills it??

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
You are the third kind that are too insignificant to be catergorized. My apology to have left you behind.
Judgmental much? And you misspelled categorized. Bu yong xie.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing
why the freak would I buy an Iphone when I already has a n900 that kills it??
Because the iPhone is still officially supported?

Just because you're not the target audience for an iPhone doesn't mean that others aren't either.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posting my reply to the initial question without reading the previous responses to bias my reply.

I really am torn. The Motorola Atrix is very tempting. Having a library of applications ready to go is tempting. Having commercial applications like SplashID and HandBase is tempting.

The problem is I am comparing a product with specs and a mature platform ecosystem to a vaporware product.

If the N9 is executed to its full potential, with stunning hardware and open software and some heavy hitters backing QT for commercial Apps, then it is a no-brainer.

But unfortunately, Nokia has grown experienced at disappointing the enthusiast community.

So for me, I turn 40 the weekend of MWC. If Nokia does not have something to impress by then, I'm buying the Atrix. I'm tired of waiting and hoping, sitting on AT&T with EDGE service.

The N9 could totally rock and I hope it does. I really like QT and I like the fact I can code for all four computing platforms in my home from one toolkit. But I am tired of waiting for some high end hardware with a "quirky" phone that is less than perfect.

David

The Following User Says Thank You to djs_tx For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I only understood a part of that - far too rusty.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I only understood a part of that - far too rusty.
I know you came with good intention. I removed those inappropriate words that would trigger flame wars. Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited by 9000; 2011-01-31 at 01:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:

Tags
die android die, nokia blows