Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
This "sticking to the carriers" policy which is too rooted in the US market is so unhealthy...
I don't really understand why people buy phones from the carriers, if they don't get their phones from their work or something.
Why there is this urge to get into a catholic marriage with the carriers...?

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
This "sticking to the carriers" policy which is too rooted in the US market is so unhealthy...
I don't really understand why people buy phones from the carriers, if they don't get their phones from their work or something.
Why there is this urge to get into a catholic marriage with the carriers...?
It's simple, there is no good and convenient alternative to carrier provided (installment) plans. Many (most?) people here think that only a phone sold by their carrier works on the carrier's network. And for carrier sold phones this is true in most cases (phone locked to one specific carrier).

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
We sorta have more area to cover, more remote areas than smaller countries like Great Britain, Japan or Israel.

I live in a rather rural area and honestly AT&T is about as good as it gets around here. I could go Verizon, but they're CDMA based and I tend to travel overseas.

And that's the other problem. Only two of the biggest four carriers in the US are GSM.

And to further fill you in, since it seems as if you're speaking only from your experience overseas and have little to no experience about the seriously fragmented and technologically behind-the-times carriers in the US... there's no benefit to jumping around with an unlocked phone per carrier in the US. No discounts, no incentives... just a higher priced phone that you can remove the sim and carry over to a new carrier... if they're in your area and support that frequencies of that phone - which, is hardly never. A phone that works on T-Mobile doesn't work on AT&T at native 3G speeds. And vice versa. It will have to degrade to slower EDGE or EVDO or worse... GPRS and the like in most cases for data.

It's not like it was in Japan or Germany when I lived there as it is in the US. The carrier system here plain sucks. That's why the archaic system of subsidies still exist here and just about only here in the US.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
I really wish something could be done about Verizon and Sprint, both keeping us in the stone ages...At the same time I see no solution for them to go GSM unless they go out of business and AT&T and T-Mobile take over.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And that's the other problem. Only two of the biggest four carriers in the US are GSM.

... and have little to no experience about the seriously fragmented and technologically behind-the-times carriers in the US...

It's not like it was in Japan or Germany when I lived there as it is in the US. The carrier system here plain sucks. That's why the archaic system of subsidies still exist here and just about only here in the US.
Well, I think you just showed us that the problem is the US outdated and seriously fragmented infrastructure.

This is US carriers fault, Not NOKIA or anyone else.

The Following User Says Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
We sorta have more area to cover, more remote areas than smaller countries like Great Britain, Japan or Israel.

I live in a rather rural area and honestly AT&T is about as good as it gets around here. I could go Verizon, but they're CDMA based and I tend to travel overseas.

And to further fill you in, since it seems as if you're speaking only from your experience overseas and have little to no experience about the seriously fragmented and technologically behind-the-times carriers in the US... there's no benefit to jumping around with an unlocked phone per carrier in the US. No discounts, no incentives... just a higher priced phone that you can remove the sim and carry over to a new carrier... if they're in your area and support that frequencies of that phone - which, is hardly never. A phone that works on T-Mobile doesn't work on AT&T at native 3G speeds. And vice versa. It will have to degrade to slower EDGE or EVDO or worse... GPRS and the like in most cases for data.

The problem with US is that they always prefer to create a standard of their own and which apparently is most of the times different from the standard used by the rest of the world. Also, the Govt is extremely prone to lobbying.

I can say it is fairly impossible for the citizens of US to get out of the death grip of their carrier providers. And the most important fact is that the people (majority) there don't know that they are being sucked blood by their carrier providers. Both good & bad!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
The problem with US is that they always prefer to create a standard of their own and which apparently is most of the times different from the standard used by the rest of the world. Also, the Govt is extremely prone to lobbying.
It's not that the US is the only place that creates standards for their phones. Case in point, TD-SCDMA in China. I could probably conjure up a few others.

And the US government is not the only place prone to lobbying. I fear that you paint the US in a way that makes it so unique without acknowledging that what you state happens in basically every other country in one way or another.

I can say it is fairly impossible for the citizens of US to get out of the death grip of their carrier providers. And the most important fact is that the people (majority) there don't know that they are being sucked blood by their carrier providers. Both good & bad!
How do you care to actually pay for all of those changes? It's already one of the more expensive places to own a phone.

I will say one thing... the so-called death grip is really important if you're a Nokia fan in the US. Otherwise, people really don't migrate as much - even when it was a more even playing field when everybody was CDMA or TDMA. I unlocked a Cincinnati Bell Nokia 7160 to work on Suncom's network without incident. Didn't net me one damn discount.

Same applies now. Anyway, until the FCC forces all of the carriers to play fair, bow down and play nice with the same GSM frequencies like all of the other countries of the world; we'll continue to have this fractured, out-dated system that is easier to discuss how it should be fix than it truly is to fix it.

Simply stated; talk is real cheap. The fix will not be cheap.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...second_quarter

"Tablets and netbooks based on Intel's Meego OS are expected to start shipping in the second quarter this year, a source familiar with Intel's plans said on Friday."

Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
Well, I think you just showed us that the problem is the US outdated and seriously fragmented infrastructure.

This is US carriers fault, Not NOKIA or anyone else.
Yes, it is US carriers that have done a bad job regarding fragmented infrastructure. However, it is reality Nokia has to accept and adapt their actions to this reality, instead of trying to work with US carriers as they do with European or Asian carriers. It's like doing business in Russia - you'll have to accept their way of doing business, even if you hate the way things work. Otherwise you won't have business with them.

Last edited by JulmaHerra; 2011-01-31 at 08:35.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org