Notices

@petur ... thanks, you just took me waaay off topic .. hadn't come across xkcd before and I've just spent an hour browsing it, excellent :-)

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
martinK: I have been using modrana a lot over the past few weeks, and I have a few suggestions for what would make it perfect in my opinion at least.
  • Add a view option to rotate map to heading (instead of being always north-up).
  • Add customizeable callout distances. E.g. I might want a callout at 50 yards, one at 500 and one at 2000 but other people might want them in different places.
  • Have eSpeak say the number of yards that triggers it, not the actual number of yards. For instance, if a callout is at 300 yards and eSpeak is triggered at 297.4 yards, have eSpeak say 300 anyway.
  • Aesthetic thing: Split numbers at the two digit mark, so for example 422 is read "four twenty-two" instead of "four hunderd and twenty-two".
  • Hardware acceleration.
  • Smooth zooming (i.e.just scale up the already loaded tiles and then replace them with higher resolution ones when they are loaded).
  • Determine point reached distance based on speed (so the radius at 60 mph is three times that at 20 mph).
  • I don't know whether this is possible: Load the traffic layer from Google Maps?\
Are any of these currently in the works? I would be glad to help if you would like.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
  • Add a view option to rotate map to heading (instead of being always north-up).
If you're in the centered mode (red dot in the middle of the square), it should already do that (it does here at least)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
btw.... 0.22-2

Nice one! taps no longer quit center mode, love it

Thanks a lot, Martin

Last edited by petur; 2011-02-03 at 23:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by petur View Post
If you're in the centered mode (red dot in the middle of the square), it should already do that (it does here at least)
Aha! I didn't notice when the "rotate map" option was added. One down, seven to go.

The Following User Says Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
MartinK: In terms of hardware acceleration, have you looked at glitz?

Last edited by skykooler; 2011-02-04 at 00:20. Reason: Added link

The Following User Says Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
  • Have eSpeak say the number of yards that triggers it, not the actual number of yards. For instance, if a callout is at 300 yards and eSpeak is triggered at 297.4 yards, have eSpeak say 300 anyway.
  • Aesthetic thing: Split numbers at the two digit mark, so for example 422 is read "four twenty-two" instead of "four hunderd and twenty-two".
While I don't personally use modRana (currently on Navit), I just want to say, while I agree with Skykooler's ideas - make them optional, and selectable in settings. Some people might like the precision of it announcing the exact distance at announcement, instead of the triggering callout amount. Same for the aesthetic thing - different people will have different preferences for what the way they want to hear numbers said. (Last I checked, not all of the English speaking world likes saying numbers in the above mentioned technically-gramatically-wrong manner.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@MartinK
Beautification is probably last step but to make it easier do you have SVG file of your buttons. I found Ranas .svg file but it differs little from Modranas.

http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applica...le/rana/icons/

It would be easier to edit buttons if there is vector file. Making svg where icons are grouped by by screens makes theme editing also bit easier.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
The latest version is a significant improvement again.

I'd however like to revoice the need to have the point on the bottom of the display when driving. Today I took modrana for a long drive again, and driving at high speeds is severely uncomfortable with the car being in the middle of the display, you don't see what's coming up ahead, really...

Other than that, the loading of the tiles seems to be SUPER SLOW, i.e. I'm not sure if it has to do with the database being big or what, when I've downloaded lots of tiles, but just zooming in and out, I get the "Loading" on all tiles for like 10 seconds at a time, what's up with that?

The Following User Says Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
First, a commented changelog for modRana V0.22-2:
  • tapping on buttons no longer disables centering
  • map movement is now properly synchronized with position
    indicator movement
    This means, that when modRana gets new position readng while centering is enabled, the position indicator and recentering of the map happen at once, so there is no jumping of the position indicator, caused by asynchronous updating.
  • support for centered icons that use a nice themeable background
  • properly sized icons to avoid needless resizing
  • reworked button text rendering
    ModRana now uses proper Pango rendering for the text on buttons, so I can now easily use different style, color, etc. It should also look better.
  • proper spaceport icon
  • fixed text entry not working in fullscreen
    Thanks for noticing this bug
  • fixed usability issues with text entry popups
    • tapping outside the popup no longer saves popup content
    • tapping outside the popup also cancels POI adding, if in progress
    • previously entered text is now highlighted by default
    It should now behave much more like the usual Hildon popups.
  • fix a notification message, informing the user to select a category for a newly added POI, not showing up

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps