Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
I sure hope this is part of a long term shock and awe recovery plan orchestrated by some marketing genius behind the scenes because getting this kind of news will scare a lot of people away from buying Nokia's current stock of bread and butter Symbian phones. His last ecosystem statement was just as vague. If I was a developer, I would think twice about putting my time and money into something that is still fluid and prone to mood swings. This is why people develop for iOS.
Yes infact it has scared me too even if I am only exprementing some with QtQuick I have stoped development now, cause I really want damn straight answers from Elop NOW!!! what is the plans for Meego and QT!!! I mean some runmors saying they will support Android some WP7 but in both case why then use QT :-(

I am not even sure we will get any real answers on friday or MWC :-(

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
I'm watching the WebOS event I'm thinking of jumping ship before i get my a$£ burnt or my hair wet.

Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
Every source says its real, it reads real, it meshes with what's been said before, and no one's denying it. Not even one Nokia employee is contacting any of the tech sites and saying "I never read that memo". Do you honestly have any reason to doubt it?
Ofgcourse every source is saying its real cause they all say they are sources... == still we cant be sure

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by maniacattack View Post
smartphones, ...
really? when?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It always surpises me when people in this forum try to take the "what's best for nokia" point of view... suggesting they should turn to android or whatever OS for business reasons.

why don't you ask what's best for you as a consumer? yet another android phone or a variety of sytems you can choose from, each with strengths and weaknesses?

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It always surpises me when people in this forum try to take the "what's best for nokia" point of view... suggesting they should turn to android or whatever OS for business reasons.

why don't you ask what's best for you as a consumer? yet another android phone or a variety of sytems you can choose from, each with strengths and weaknesses?
The proble with that is we don't actually have a say, if we did we would all choose meamo to have been developed by Nokia - that's assuming most people on the forum are N900 owners.

Would it be great to now have full ovi maps, a decent Ovi store, Alien D working on our phone and so acess to all the Android apps etc, etc, I wonder how succesful the N8 would of been if it had a meamo os instead of dated symbian with its awful browser. We could evn be looking ofrward to the fist dual core meamo device being announced at the MWC next week.

Unfortunately we will get what is best for Nokia, or what the present American CEO will convince the shareholder is correct which seems to be Android or WP7 - which are both American bases OS!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post

I lost my N900 when I left my job. I miss it cos I'm now back on a POS symbian E71. However at the same time the N900 was limited - unfinished. I'm looking forward to maybe getting an android.
What can Nokia offer now ? I really struggle to see what Nokia is for anymore. They sold off all the expertise. Maybe Nokia could offer a nice android model, hopefully they could offer a open hardware model which would help home modders. Thats about all they are able to give.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemon_grass For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by n900faniam View Post
The memo is real, and has been confirmed by both the BBC and CNN.

This is a turning point for Nokia. A credit rating downgrade for a multi-national organisation is very bad news indeed.

I think Elop is going to do to Nokia what Jobs did when he returned to Apple (after being dismissed by his own board), he's going to turn it around. But the transition is going to be a very painful one for many Nokia employees, there's going to be carnage in the ranks.

Frankly, it's about time someone took Nokia by the scruff and gives it a good shake.

Also, hate to say this as I'm a Meamo fan and have been waiting for Meego for a long time, but I think joining forces with Microsoft would be the best thing for Nokia.

They need to get their heads around a competitve OS. Why spend a fortune developing an in-house OS when you can piggy back off of a perfectly acceptable system like Windows 7.
You maybe right atleast in short run but in long run thats a BAD solution going Microsoft way... Soo I really still hopes this is NOT the case :-( Cause then what the hell should I buy next :-( :-(

WP7 not a chance
Iphone not a chance.
Android is no go I want Qt and core Linux.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
Knowing how good Maemo5 and the N900 are, it is more than a little baffling at the past treatment by Nokia. Plenty of people will immediately carp on about how it was an experiment, a hobbyist's device, etc. Bit difficult to really believe that or be comfortable with that when you've paid so much for it. And it's not as if it was released by some make-believe company like MaemoNokPhones Inc. It was NOKIA for F's sake!!
I think this was the case but they hoped that they would get some more attention and more money for development for upgrade it but the bosses inside nokia dished them and was to afraid thinking new.
"We have to continue with symbian aproach"

just my guess but I have infact heard atleast one fd nokia employer say that was the case :-( Arouynd 10 people wortking on Maemo5 so I must say they atleast did a great progress with that such small group of developers/testers...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
just my guess but I have infact heard atleast one fd nokia employer say that was the case :-( Arouynd 10 people wortking on Maemo5 so I must say they atleast did a great progress with that such small group of developers/testers...
That's bullcrap.

Alone the emails on maemo-* maemo.org lists from nokia.com and in changelogs of components show way more than 10 people.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org