Active Topics

It saddens me to see that Nokia & MSFT are going the Apple route. Once upon a time, I bought a Zune, had it shipped from the US just to spite Apple and it turned out Zune chains you to a bunch of crap just like iThings do.

Along comes W7, heir apparent to winmo 6.5 but in terms of features it's actually worse than 6.5? Awesome.

There's currently a battle between iFags and Android fanboys, where the iFags are just about everyone and Android is bought by people who need to feel just a bit more tech savvy than everybody else. That's all fine - but where is W7 really supposed to fit in? It's like iOS in terms of the ball-and-chain, but it doesn't have any of the consumer appeal that Apple products continuously enjoy.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by leetnoob View Post
watched the nokia press live broadcast, and elop said they will still release a meego device before year end, but then said something to the effect of 'well.. after that then we'll see.' he mumbled something about the meego device being an experiment from which they might learn something, or not.
Yep not a final consumer device "big gun".

Just one more "ugly duckling" akin to the Maemo series. I don't think it matters how awesome the Meego device will be, it's over.

This was to be the "big one", now it'll be treated as shitty as N900, N810, N800 and N770 when it comes to support from Nokia.

Samsung and HP? And I think RIM's long-term ecosystem to be questionable...
Unfortunately I think only Android and Apple have real ecosystems

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto, Canada
This is a great thing for Windows Phone 7. Unfortunately not so much for nokia in the long run. Nokia will survive, but they will become less and less relevant.

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Damn, don't know what to do now...
Im overdue an upgrade, and was waiting for the first meego device, which Im not willing to risk now..

Gutted, what the hell do I buy now, meego was looking good, now it is WP7 or Android, neither of which are open..

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Stop ****ing saying ecosystem

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Finally ELOP has thrown in the towel.

it was a huge mistake venturing away from Maemo and well Nokia is down the drain big time. Some sanity finally prevailed, I am glad at partnership with Microsoft. Some drawbacks yes but a lot of good, hopefully for best.

Nokia makes the best mobile-hardware, Microsoft has the best software engineers. I think it is a brilliant business move to finally start competing in North American market. Start making some money for a change, start capturing lost high-end market share.

Nokia flagships have been dying left n right because of well lame symbian OS. Maemo yes, that wouldve been a different story all together which is why i am shocked at lack of support or lack of Nokias vision into seeing Maemo potential. They couldve dented high-end market big time by shipping all the high end flagships with Maemo (improved maemo constantly). Their lack of seeing potential has killed them and somebody from outside finland had to come to show them how they kept shooting themselves in the foot. Only sad news is Meego will remain an experiment. all of a sudden my n900 has become precious

Last edited by niqbal; 2011-02-11 at 11:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to niqbal For This Useful Post:
Horace Dediu, insightful as always...

http://www.asymco.com/2011/02/11/two...ill-ever-soar/

Two turkeys don’t make an eagle, but no penguin will ever soar.

Vic Gundotra of Google tipped off the world two days in advance that on Feb 11 Android would play no part in Nokia’s strategy. To be sure, Elop said that Nokia didn’t choose Android because of “differentiation challenges and commoditization risk” (begging the question of how these challenges and risks are mitigated by licensing another openly available OS).

But I won’t weigh the merits of one module vs. another. Rather, the more pertinent discussion should be on why license instead of build. Clearly, Nokia threw in the towel. Not because they could not build, but because their building processes could not create greatness.

But can greatness ever come from modularity? I’ve argued that it can’t. I’ll maintain that argument as long as what is being built is not good enough. In other words, as long as innovation remains relevant, improvements will be absorbed and rewarded. Once innovation exceeds what can be absorbed, the basis of competition will shift to convenience and price which are best served with a modular business architecture.

Android is a fast follower. The first Android prototypes looked like Blackberries because that was the input paradigm of 2006. When capacitive touch was shown to be a better input method, Android reacted swiftly. When app stores created a new medium Android reacted swiftly. When the iPad demonstrated that computing can be done in new settings, Android reacted. At such time when there will be nothing to follow Android will be the king of the last commoditized innovation, but as long as there is something worth inventing Android will be there to reproduce it.

This is not a judgement, but an observation: Nokia and Microsoft may not make an Apple but neither will Android ever create the future.
Agree 100%.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hintry For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I see you are really going for that comedy award.
Not at all but you read the garbage he writes and he dont even own a Nokia device let alone an N900 !.

Come on get real here what is this forum all about? oh sorry i have not been reading properly this is an ipone comedy forum huh.

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org