Active Topics

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
If they didn't put money in Open Source - why they believe in some profit in this? I am just basing on poor support for N900... it seems like it is done by enthusiasts only. At least Nokia doesn't pay for it.
Nokia, or at least a group in Nokia, thought that Open Source was the future. So they invested a bit of money in investigating that possibility.

Whether it is due to the different Nokia factions loving to fight each other to the death over corporate decisions, or some other reason, Open Source did not cut it as a development model for advanced mobile devices. Especially the bit were it delivered on schedule. Delivering on schedule is important in this business. Very important. Loosing-your-job-if-you-fail-type of important.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
How does this look like a patch for you? Nokiais dropping symbian & qt. Meego is a test platform. So if the patch doesn't work isn't it the end of nokia?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm not educated... just love gadgets, been a Linux user since the mid-90's, somehow kept up with Windows, use a Mac, and I piss off folks in these parts since I've signed up somehow.

If you want my true opinion about this move, it's backwards. I'd have to speculate (read: guess) that it means that MeeGo still isn't ready for primetime. But the move to WP7, it's just so very backwards.

Nokia traded in a MeeGo 1.x (first retail release) for Windows Phone 7 which basically is a "first retail release" since Microsoft broke all compatibility with Windows Mobile 6.x and prior. Both are unfinished in my opinion, and it's akin to picking a horse of the same age, of the same level of maturity and somehow I think it's a real gamble.

In this case, Nokia can task Microsoft to get the stuff that people actually want - like copy and friggin' paste. But at the same time, they now have to wait on Microsoft to deliver it - which breaks all of Nokia's prior culture.

I'm not a fan of this decision one bit. But you won't catch me whining about it. I just think it's a bit too short-sighted of Nokia to go this route. But if MeeGo can't ship, final in say 3 months, this does make sense. I'd consider this a patch for now.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
The only thing that could have been worse would be if they began to use android. For everyone that love options this is a slightly better than android.

Kudos to every vendor that don't use android !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Correction. That bastard is from Canada. Please do more research.
Isn't Canada the 51st state of USA?

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
After this announcement, MeeGo would NOT be safe if it continues to be in Nokia's hands anymore.

Nokia (aka losers, suckers, cowards), get out off MeeGo.

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
How does this look like a patch for you? Nokiais dropping symbian & qt. Meego is a test platform. So if the patch doesn't work isn't it the end of nokia?
It's a patch because they can't get MeeGo out of the door today. If they could have, then MeeGo would not have been dropped.

February 15th, 2010 was the announcement of MeeGo. It's still not on a device - shown or planned at of February 11th, 2011.

It's a patch just like Samsung had plans for Bada, but couldn't deliver it fast enough. So they started to sell Android phones. To me, that was a patch to help them keep a smartphone presence until they could get their own OS off the ground.

I sorta feel like this is what's up with WP7. Wagging around terms like main OS strategy wouldn't be possible if MeeGo was actually finished. Then that would be downright dumb as rocks to drop a full OS - oh wait, they are dropping Symbian... like I said, dumb as rocks.

MeeGo ain't ready. Plain and simple. Nokia needs presence now, or risk only releasing one Maemo Device in 2009, nothing in 2010, almost nothing in 2011 from anything that's not Symbian based.

Thus... patch. They can have a WP7 phone out by Summer now.

Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Isn't Canada the 51st state of USA?
Isn't India still British territority?

Even this WM7 will not be on a Nokia any time soon. Also, the transition period is somewhere around 2 years time from now!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Isn't India still British territority?
Unless your knowledge on world economics/politics is drained

Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Unless your knowledge on world economics/politics is drained
Canada is their own country just in case your knowledge on North American economics/politics is equally deficient

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining