Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
I love the comments - everyone raving how great it is without knowing anything about hardware. It's a standard WP7 with 'nokia' written on it, big deal.
I would consider this if Nokia take advantage of MS's offer to customise the design, that would offer something tasty over the competition and give Nokia its own identity. If they stick to the standard tiles, i'll give it a miss.

The moral though is this: people love Nokia hardware and hate Nokia software. They'd buy any Nokia phone so long as they were told Nokia didn't write the software. Nokia could install Microsoft Bob on their next phones, and North American customers will return in droves to Nokia. If Nokia had created HAL in-house and put it on the next phone, they'd move three units.The cries of "Nokia has killed themselves!" are self-evidently not true.

The Following User Says Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I take back everything I ever said about Nokia ever needing to do better here in the US.

I wish they had abandoned our market... and partnerships with any US company... entirely now.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dusktreader View Post
Ubuntu Software Center. That is all. The idea of a unified source for software applications predates Apple's Gestapo like implementation by years. Who cares what the name is. Google and Android didn't invent anything, they just re-branded it.
Sigh...
1. Nokia had more than one choice. They made a poor one by my estimation.
2. They weren't developing any new OS from scratch.
3. They weren't alone in development.
4. They were assembling an ecosystem from pre-existing components. I'm pretty confident that Qt is a superior ecosystem. Universal deployability FTW.

If you really think that Elop has struck gold with WP7, fine. Let's wait a few years and see where Mr Elop works. It either won't be Nokia, or it will be a Nokia that is owned by M$.
0. In the end it doesn't matter who first implemented the idea. It's not about credit, it's about sales. Right now the smart phone-buying public wants an "app store" and Apple gave them one. Configuring repositories on their N900 is not what they wanted, which is my point. The poster was pointing to the existence of Ubuntu and Debian repositories to say that the Maemo has an equivalent to the iPhone app store, which it most certainly does not.

1. WP7 or Android. Everyone else is using Android and MS was offering customization and input that Google was not. Staying the course wasn't an option. So you're suggesting Android was the better choice?
2. Close enough to scratch. By the strictest definition then Linux From Scratch isn't really from scratch. Whatever they were doing, they were spending more than any other phone or phone OS maker and had less to show for it.
3. Intel's less a software firm than Nokia and again, it didn't make much difference even with there being a lot of Moblin underneath MeeGo. The point is Microsoft wrote WP7 from scratch and succeeded. Palm created webOS on a tiny fraction of the budget and employees. Google apparently has Android coders working in shifts 24/7 given the constant progress. Nokia had a huge R&D budget and a vast numbers of software engineers and couldn't make Moblin/MeeGo into a viable consumer-oriented OS in several years of trying. Throwing more money and time at MeeGo and pinning all the company's chances for success on a project that was over budget and behind schedule would be folly.

4. Qt isn't an ecosystem. It's a framework.

Thank goodness Mr. Elop came in and removed the NIH (Not Invented Here) culture. You left out an option, "Nokia erects a lifesize gold statue of Mr. Elop in the lobby of Nokia HQ and town is renamed Elopoo in his honor".

I can't see Mr. Elop being fired for doing exactly what the board wanted him to do, and no one can fault him for jumping off the burning platform, even if there are sharks below.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:
Say it ain't so!

R.I.P. Maemo 5
11/16/2009 - 06/04/2010

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I take back everything I ever said about Nokia ever needing to do better here in the US.

I wish they had abandoned our market... and partnerships with any US company... entirely now.

Too late. Your wish is already being fulfilled. Elop will relocate the HQ to the US in two years. Linus Torvalds will join the company. Richard Stallman will be deported to Finland. It's inevitable now.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by stenny View Post
I speak english natively.

Why so lameattemptsathumor?
haha. still too serious.

thanks for playing along.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post

Oh... when I said that, I got trash talked.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
?..and North American customers will return in droves to Nokia.
I think it is too optimistic for Nokia and MS.

A few of the best opinion pieces I have read so far...

Andrew Orlowski - Grief and disbelief greet Elop's Nokia revolution
Google becomes the one they all fear
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02..._more_details/

Andrew Orlowski - Nokia's 15-year tango to avoid Microsoft
For want of a smart(er) phone, €50bn was lost
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02...osoft_history/

Tomi Ahonen - First Analysis of Nokia-Microsoft Alliance - Wow this is good for Microsoft
http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...microsoft.html

Michael Mace - Nokia now comes the hard part
http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.co...hard-part.html

A number of articles by Horace Dediu
www.asymco.com

Daniel Eran Dilger - Nokia's rejection of Android may help resolve patent war with Apple
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ith_apple.html

Last edited by Hintry; 2011-02-12 at 06:07.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hintry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Ok, we've got this all day and even a couple days before. I just can't find out what are those guys happy about what has just happened doing here in the Maemo forum. Some of them just looks like trying to rise anger beneath the community. That's sick...

I won't comment anything more about this already analyzed topic but that it's a really dark day for FOSS and the possibility to have a "more" open (cause completely open is very Utopic) cellular device being popularized. And it's sincerely a kick in the a** for the community wherever you look at.

There has been said a lot of things without backup about the great "fail" MeeGo was to Nokia (expensive and not delivering results), but real expenses are not really well known and the fact is, if they would have REALLY wanted, they could have done it. They didn't because they weren't not interested and they could personally, not as a brand, get more money this way. You know, eople up there are relly sick too, they don't ven care their own mother, they would sell it if they could. That's capitalism.
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org