Active Topics

A bit off topic but I've noticed the tags at talk.maemo becoming more and more irrelevant and filled with profanity. Then people wonder why search doesn't work well here!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Originally Posted by Bourdain View Post
As long as your definition of perfect is a malformed test tube baby. You're like the parents who insist Downs' kids are the same as regular kids.
You are an A$shoI_E, you've got no right to take this kind of comparison, YOU simply have no right to mention Down childs.

And in fact, N900 seems way better FOR ME than any other phone/handheld. I usually compare it with Iphone4 and in the things I care like having real computer stuff like OO, Kile+Latex, GNUplot, GNUmeric, Pidgin and all the functions I would ever expect from a handheld as a science student, and from a cell phone (calls, internet, sms, fmms), and got no surprises about it's downfalls (lack of brand supprot and now this), and I care a Sh## it doesn't fit the "Mass Market" or "End User's" expectancies. It could have done that if they would have had a fixed objective from the beginning instead of changing plans every time something well finished could have got out of this.
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to strange1712 For This Useful Post:
NOKIA had spent so much money on the R&D for MeeGo, but the developers got greedy and worked too slow. In 1 year, after so much funding, they still produced nothing.

NOKIA decided (around Sep '10) it had to adopt a platform.
"If you can't beat them, join them"
They deducted going with Android would in fact be "peeing in their pants for a short term relief", which is true.

So they needed something exclusive and the failure of Windows Phone 7 was their saving grace ... a chance to step up but still differentiate themselves.

Kicking out Venjoki and hiring Elop was the first move, Elop then initiate the next steps to make NOKIA partners with Microsoft. And open-source community lost a limb.

I have a feeling if Venjoki took my advice and bought Palm (even at a high price) it would've been a well-founded investment and today MeeGo would be the third dominant platform and offer phones which are higher quality and better than iOS (too controlled) and Android (too cluttered).

And all I have to say to NOKIA: MeeGone

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 50 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on May 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by strange1712 View Post
You are an A$shoI_E, you've got no right to take this kind of comparison, YOU simply have no right to mention Down childs.
who the hell are you and why are you talking to me

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bourdain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Originally Posted by Bourdain View Post
who the hell are you and why are you talking to me
1. I have a profile and 2. you are dealing with things you shouldn't.
It's not like I will answer anything else about this topic.
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strange1712 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Looooooooool
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by raily View Post
As many others around here I am very sad that opensource linux on phones has taken a big punch in the stomach yesterday.
I just wish that some other company is taking advantage of the situation and tries to establish some alternative to M$ and spy-google in the phone OS market. I cannot think of any though which has the capability to build superior hardware

This just sucks. I don't want to get an android phone, nor wp7. Maemo was perfect. N900 was and still is perfect for me too...
Damn it nokia, whats going on?!?!?
I find it ironic that you labeled Google, which puts it right out there that they're collecting your info, as spying but you labeled Nokia, who surreptitiously SMS'ed your device info to themselves and erased records of it, is perfect. :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
No, that's the UK.
And here I was thinking that the UK was a colony of the US of A?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
WTF is going down here.

Jesus christ you lot cool down huh.

Posts: 241 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I find it ironic that you labeled Google, which puts it right out there that they're collecting your info, as spying but you labeled Nokia, who surreptitiously SMS'ed your device info to themselves and erased records of it, is perfect. :P
Do you mean the "My Nokia" thingy? If so, I think this is far from googles business-model which relies on personified ads an user profiles.

The Following User Says Thank You to raily For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining