Active Topics

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Houston
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
The biggest question i have is - If i buy the meego phone released in 2011, will my money be used for the development of meego or will it be used for making crappy wp7?
I know there is no future for meego just like maemo, but at this point it is the only open source phone. I still believe there is nothing in comparision to the n900 in the current market.
They never said it will be phone. Meego device... I'm betting it's a tablet.
Anyways, yes, your money will be used for whatever they feel like, at the time. However, if that device was a huge success, maybe nokia could revert their strategy. After all, no partnership with microsoft ever bears fruit.

I'm sticking with my n900 for as long as I can. Maybe someone else decides to develop a meego phone in the mean time. hell, I'm sure some chinese company would be willing to try it. They churn out new android phones every month.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tpaixao For This Useful Post:
Well that clears things up:
1) Not buying a WP7 (I used it and didn't like it)
2) Not buying a NOKIA (even the MeeGo device in 2011)
3) Not buying a BlackBerry including the Playbook (always hated them)
4) Not buying the Advent Vega/Viewsonic G-Slate/Malata Zpad (was going to root and get miui rom)

I guess I won't be buying any tablets (or at least until they mature), might get a HPalm (but no local support in Australia), but more likely would upgrade my Galaxy S to something like the Motorola Milestone (only if it has comparable processor and no locked bootloader).

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
nokias moeny will now go to Windows 7 phones. Dont give them any money. plus, after meego phone is released, the reasorces should swtch focus to win 7. So no PR 1.2 here. The phone is dead before announcment.

Now, I have heard alot about webOS but I have never really used it for longer periods. I have to look into that now. But it seems that they mostly use other form factors and they don't seem so appealing.

Have used android alot and dont really like it.

IOS. no no no. Would be intressting to see an iphone with keyboard.

It might be time to dust off some of the dumb phones from a few years back and wait for nokia to fail and change focus agian. Back to meego or any other open system.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
I don't understand why are you still talking as Nokia & Microsoft are 2 different companies?

They are ONE.

People will not like it when they know that Microsoft has to buy a company like Nokia to sell their product. Instead, they chose not to disclose this fact and let Nokia live as a company on its own. STRATEGY.

Anyways, I just wish Nokia dies altogether now. Sick coward basta*ds!

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tpaixao View Post
However, if that device was a huge success, maybe nokia could revert their strategy.
Nope, they are downscaling the Meego R&D for sure. Once that has been completed, there's no turning back.
And with the current strategy: "quietly, sit in the corner" there's nowhere to revert either.

I can't see how they can allow a meego device to be successful as that would just highlight how bad WP7 is as an OS? They are already suggesting meego will just be an "hobby" project.

Given the lack of support, outside the community, for meamo I think anybody would be foolish to trust nokia again and buy a meego device.

I feel, sadly, like meamo that meego will just be forgotten with time

Thinking that buying a spare N900 would be the best idea for me. I haven't seen a device like before or since, nor do I think we ever will again. One day it will wear out and I want a direct replacement, bit by then they will no longer be available.

Time to invest in my customizable open source future and stick with a device I love.

The Following User Says Thank You to [DarkGUNMAN] For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by [DarkGUNMAN] View Post
Thinking that buying a spare N900 would be the best idea for me. I haven't seen a device like before or since, nor do I think we ever will again. One day it will wear out and I want a direct replacement, bit by then they will no longer be available.

Time to invest in my customizable open source future and stick with a device I love.
Agreed, I am worried about my USB connector falling out one day.

However with the move to dual cores etc it will not last for ever and so in 12 months or so I will have to replace it.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
However with the move to dual cores etc it will not last for ever and so in 12 months or so I will have to replace it.
Why? What task requires dual core for in your mobile device? Do you feel that your N900 is underpowered? What processing features do you miss on your N900?

I am a technomaniac, and I do have an urge to go with the latest n' the greatest, but the thing is that the `greatest` after owning an N900 will never be the same. I really cannot force myself back to ye oldie smart phone, let alone feature phone platform, and there isn't anything on the market even remotely close to what the N900 gives. It replaced my laptop almost completely, and there is no pocketable device in sight that can replace the N900.

What use is a dual core, 1GB of RAM, super-fast GPU or 64GB of storage when you really cannot tap into it and have to rely on manufacturer's/carrier's good will to let you use the device you've already paid for?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
If MeeGo doesn't happen on any phone, WebOS is the only option left.

iOS isn't powerful enough... It would seem like going 10 years back in my gadget life. Plus, of course, the Apple's golden cage doesn't meet my requirements. I like the golden part, but I couldn't live with the cage.

Android is much more up to date feature-wise and may soon reach the level of Maemo/MeeGo or one day even Symbian. But I wouldn't touch it because of Google. My privacy is important to me, I couldn't live with Google in my pocket.

Last edited by benny1967; 2011-02-12 at 11:59.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: