Active Topics

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Anyways, there are no two ways about it.
Nokia ditched us and its loyal customers (all symbian, maemo, meego, qt). It is very difficult (or almost impossible) for them to gain this trust back.

All this crap aside, what I and many others here would like to know is:
  1. What about the support for current N900's? Not from Nokia I meant! Support from developers like MohammadAG, Stskeeps, Joerg, qwerty123, qole, and many many many other great & talented developers here. Are you guys planning to support this platform (maemo)? If you are there with us, we might still have some hope left in our N900s.
  2. What about Stskeeps and team's MeeGo adaptation project on the N900? Will it continue full-time? I mean any plans to bring it to an usable state atleast?
  3. Donations. I am willing to donate. How about others?

Others can add more to this I think...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
When the tide is going out, the boats tend to go with it.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Apparently Nokia didn't consider it worthwhile to make preparations for informing community how this changes things Qt/Maemo/Meego perspective. Just empty marketing speak on Nokia Conversations.

Then again, Nokia doesn't need 3rd party developers or community anymore.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Hope to see android apps available via this Alien Dalvik for our N900. Maybe imma switch to Intel if they bring out good pieces 'o hardware..

The Following User Says Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:
Yeah, the Alien Dalvik people are goona be waiting a looong time if they want to release on Meego, so they should just release their Maemo build now.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
As someone else said in another thread, Myriad should go and offer a deal to that bast*rd Elop publicly. Let his truth be revealed. Fu*king spy he was.

blipnl LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!
Well any development on MeeGo (for phone/tablet/ARM-based) is now dropped. The community here will dissolve somewhat, probably picking up Android otherwise a WebOS.

The more "laidback" ones will go with the first and only MeeGo phone (N9?), or an iPhone/BB/WP7.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I don't see how this changes much for the actually dedicated developers. The knew when they started making their projects that they were long-haul, and mainly N900 related. The tide went out from the N900 harbor a long time ago - everyone who's stayed thus far, I suspect, can be counted on to stay unless time constraints and life circumstance demand otherwise. I mean, it's not like the CSSU was gonna benefit from MeeGo any more before than now. Same with our host-mode. Qt open source replacemnts for our closed apps might seem like they lose their portability, but in reality, they just got their portability range slightly lessened / moved back temporally.

MeeGo will live. Qt may or may not, but I doubt it'll perish completely. Even if Nokia downright kills their Trolltech division, Qt would probably get forked/carried-on-from-there, or something similar would take its place. N900, negligently treated child though it may have been, has matured enough that it will keep on plowing for a little while longer at least.

(Oh, qwerty12 left long ago, btw.)

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Is it possible that nokia can release the code for the "closed source" components for maemo now?

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Is it possible that nokia can release the code for the "closed source" components for maemo now?
Not a hope in hell.