Active Topics

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 293 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Why don't we guys troll nokia? Spreading FUD about WP7 on twitter,facebook + any social media.

Nokia shouldn't *£#$ with our trust. This time i truly believed in meego . I learned a lot of qt to see it abandoned.

I almost finished an app i was going to sell on ovi store...

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Chill out, James Bond@ge.

You too, abill_uk.
Sure. Sorry.

Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
I have it on good authority that when Mr. Elop toured the MeeGo smartphone development facility for the first time after becoming CEO to view the progress that had been made, he was more than a little taken aback at what the company's $300 million R&D spending had bought it so far:

The low-end Symbian replacement phones also seemed to be a little lacking... or just little...

LOL!!

I'll get those GIFs out later.

Originally Posted by strange1712 View Post
1. I have a profile and 2. you are dealing with things you shouldn't.
It's not like I will answer anything else about this topic.
Have you got a Downs child?

NOKIA had spent so much money on the R&D for MeeGo, but the developers got greedy and worked too slow. In 1 year, after so much funding, they still produced nothing.
Uh did they? Look at the R&D spent for symbian or android, and you will change your opinion.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Well, there's things you can do - even though it's unlikely they'll be successful if you're alone.

You can buy Nokias Symbian phones as long as they're available. (I enjoy my C7.) They said they plan to sell quite a few of them during the next years, so... Show them that Symbian is a powerful platform you want, while W7 is not.

If they release a MeeGo powered device, buy it. Show them that MeeGo is the powerful new platform you want, while W7 is not.

Avoid buying any W7 product, Nokia or other.

This is the only language anyone up there will understand. Imagine the situation Flop will find himself in if in February 2012 he has to present figures that show how W7 failed and how an improved Symbian and an exciting new MeeGo keep selling better and better. He will have to answer questions like "Who had this W7 idea in the first place? Why do you still keep this OS alive?"

Well... thats what you could do. And that's what would work 100% if you find enough people to join you. If you don't, you still have a phone. Well...
cute idea, i'll up the ante, don't buy wp7 phones, don't buy symbian phones, don't buy meego phone.

teach nokia a real lesson that doesn't put our hard earned money in their pockets!

nokia betrayed maemo, betrayed meego and even betrayed their bread and butter symbian for 5th rate wp7.

time for the paying customers to teach these corporate monkeys a lesson.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joelsk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I just unfollowed everything nokia related(except meego). I request you guys who are interested in showing nokia our disapproval of this strategy. I understand that it will not change anything but nothing wrong in lettting nokia know.

Haven't said anything on this issue. Been carefully digesting what everyone has been saying since yesterday. And was waiting to see whether I would wake up today and find out it was all a bad dream. Unfortunately this was not the case.

Reading through the many threads on this issue it seems there are two groups:

1. Those who are extremely disappointed and feel that this is the end of Nokia.
2. Those who feel Nokia was going to die and this may give it a life line.

1. I fall into category 1. Within that category there are those blind fan boy who in all the time I have been on this forum would attack anyone who dared to criticise anything Nokia did or criticise the N900.

Although I fall into category 1 I distance myself from this class of category 1. I recognised that Nokia had completely fallen behind and was disappointed that they had allowed Apple to come and take over the mobile sphere. However, I saw the potential in Maemo if it was given special attention and all the bugs fixed so it could be used by the mass market (rather than those who want to spend ages on a tech forum just trying to get basic functionality out of a $600 device). I thought Meego was going to be the realisation of that.

I am very very disappointed that meego is now dead. Undoubtedly the N900 is going to be my very last Nokia device. It is the end of an era because in the 11 years I have had a mobile my mobile has always been Nokia (beginning way back with the 3330 and ending with the N900).

Nokia is now totally dead to me. I have already dipped into the android arena with the Galaxy Tab and my next mobile will surely now be an android phone (probably by HTC).

2. Those in category 2 I applaud for appreciating that Nokia was in trouble.

However I completely fail to see how they think this is a solution.

The only winner in this is Microsoft.

It is clear that if you are simply a windows phone hardware manufacturer the profit margins are going to be very very small. The only way Nokia will be able to get remotely close to its current level of profits from symbians massive sales is by totally killing R&D budget and by laying off tons of staff. On a human level none of us should see this as a good solution.

Even after killing R&D and cutting jobs I still don't see how Nokia is going to profit much from this. People here always say Nokia makes great hardware but really what does that mean? I think they are great in call reception (and the continued sales of the iphone 4 also shows that people are not that bothered by such things).

In what other way can we say Nokia are great in hardware? Certainly not in looks. The HTC Desire has been out for ages and yet looks a million times better than the N8 which just came out. The N900 looks like a black brick. Some may like that but not the mass market. Windows Phones 7 are all the same in terms of functionality. So how many would really look at a Nokia W7 phone and pick it over those from HTC or Samsung. Apart from fanboys I suspect very very few.

Is it in hardware durablity? After having my usb N900 port fall out I am certainly not going to make that suggestion.

Is it the fact that they have 32gb internal memory plus sd card? If I recall W7 phones don't even support external sd cards and Nokia has recently been using 16gb anyway.

So if hardware alone is not going to make people always choose Nokia over HTC or Samsung exactly how do those supporting this move think it is going to make Nokia as much money as they are now? I just don't see it.

What I see is Microsoft buying Nokia for peanuts in a couple of years. If that happens and turns out that was always Elop and Microsoft's plan can they be sued for fraud or something? Surely they should not be allowed to get away with such evil business practices.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
The hardware is not the problem in Nokia and if i was ELOP i will be asking questions like...who made the decision to fold up Maemo for Meego and then not back up the team involved with Meego when Maemo should have been taken a lot lot further instead of being ditched.

Nokia have shot themselves and that for me is terrible management strategy so someone has to hold the blame for the mess they are in now.

I think the following weeks will be very interesting indeed as i for one would go in there shotgun loaded and get this act back together, you may even find Maemo will be rejuvinated so lets see what unfolds.

I am an optimist but hell i would love ELOP'S job !!!.
His CEO job or Microsoft spy? Ain't it suspicious how an ex Microsoft employee becomes CEO and partners with his ex employer? He could have used Maemo 5 in order to produce a handset fast and cheap. I smell a MS buyout in the coming weeks.

Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
"Windows Phone 7 is relatively new to the smartphone world.
Pretty new yes, just 14 years of quality mobile OS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_CE

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining