Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
On the other hand, in a couple of years, if this appeals to the mass market, Nokia may be doing better than ever.
Sure, I think it's possible Nokia may eventually succeed.

But each of us became Nokia customers for reasons. It is changing directions and we must decide whether to follow. I think that its new direction varies so much from what buyers of the N770, N800, N810 or N900 want that we are more or less compelled to part company with Nokia.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
geneven-

I agree totally. I had decided long ago (well actually about this time a year ago) that I wouldn't be buying a Nokia MeeGo device. I hadn't ruled out MeeGo just Nokia. Mostly based on how Nokia handled Maemo and the announcement of MeeGo.

But as we all know, Maemo users represent such a small portion of overall Nokia sales, we could all leave, and Nokia probably wouldn't even notice anything had happened. Maemo accounts for what, maybe a couple percent at best?

For what it's worth I'd agree with ysss that it's time to adjourn here and move back to ITT. How long does anyone think Nokia will continue paying the bills here if they are trying to cut costs?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Ignore nokia! Just pre-orded another phone from another brand, will still use the n900 and hope that you guys can turn around this big **** boat that Elop is driving. Will keep my eyes open for meego phones. Unless its Nokia!!!

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on May 2010 @ United Kingdom
Wow, can't believe how many *****s believe Elop is single handedly behind this strategy in an attempt to destroy Nokia.

This decision was probably taken before he came on board; he's just the public face for it. It's no coincidence that a Microsoft man was called in with such a big MS partnership announcement.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Bourdain View Post
Wow, can't believe how many *****s believe Elop is single handedly behind this strategy in an attempt to destroy Nokia.

This decision was probably taken before he came on board; he's just the public face for it. It's no coincidence that a Microsoft man was called in with such a big MS partnership announcement.
and what does it matter when/who this was decided. It sucks anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Thanks lemmy - that is exactly what I am getting at

This place is full of posts saying how this or that perfect for "ME" and because _I_ like it, Nokia must be doing very well and will continue as it currently is.

Combined with an elitist attitude (the tech snobbisness here is as bad as the apple fanboy RD field), contempt for the mass market where the $$$ is and a seeming ignorance of how major decisions are made in a corporate structure, this breeds a tunnel visioned POV that is totally ignorant of the real world that operates on different rules and priorities.

Then when Nokia reveals that it is NOT doing well (this is NOT Elop, the BOARD put him in charge) and changes tack, the posters here shriek surprise and betrayal and there are even calls for persecution (WTF its a corporate decision !), charges of treason (double WTF) and even calls for violence on Elop's person.

I shake my head. This place is great for tech and the community is super for supporting the n900, but objective it aint.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
no one here can be objective since all poeple have their way of looking at it. I'm simply disappointed .

Might be a good move, might be a bad move. No one really knows.(alot of people claim to know)

Either way, I'm simply disappointed!

no one is purely objective, but less bias and more acknowledgment of how other ppl think will be good.

either way, I am here for the apps subforum mainly, all these other threads are just gravy.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
This place is full of posts saying how this or that perfect for "ME" and because _I_ like it, Nokia must be doing very well and will continue as it currently is.
You're still not getting it. It's not because "I like it, Nokia must be doing very well and will continue as it currently is". It's because I like, I want to have it. I don't really give a damn about how well Nokia is doing or what market share they have.

To put it in other words: If I have a clear vision of want I want, why on earth should I, in a forum like this, not clearly say so? Would you expect a vegetarian to encourage and support his favourite vegetarian restaurant when it announces it'll become a steak house? No more dishes without meat?

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
Then when Nokia reveals that it is NOT doing well (this is NOT Elop, the BOARD put him in charge) and changes tack, the posters here shriek surprise and betrayal and there are even calls for persecution (WTF its a corporate decision !), charges of treason (double WTF) and even calls for violence on Elop's person.
We've seen other companies doing much worse. Nokia isn't doing all so bad. Worse than they should, yes, but far from bad.

Now one important point that you seem to miss completely is that Nokia's problem isn't Symbian or Qt or MeeGo. It's (funny: Flop said that, didn't he?) execution in general. It's the inability to bring anything to the market in time. Nokia' tagline is no longer "connecting people", it's "delaying products". And I'm not talking about the obvious delays, like the N8 being half a year late or MeeGo not meeting the 2010-deadline. I'm talking about the whole idea of refreshing and constantly developing the Symbian UI being 5 years late. I'm talking about really coding the "next thing after Symbian" being 5 years late, too... Including the coherent developer story that needs to come with it.

Another thing Nokia failed to do is to build confidence among developers and partners. Symbian+Avkon, Maemo+GTK, Maemo+Qt, Symbian+Qt, MeeGo instead of Maemo, the web runtime, HTML5, ... oh, yes, Ovi services, Ovi APIs, then letting services die (share, files) - looking back, it's like somebody was drunk and drove serpentines through your garden, destroying everything you had planted.

What Nokia did well is creating and maintaining good (smart)phone operating systems. As i said, many or most decisions were made too late and it took much too long to deliver, but even in spite of that, S40, Symbian and Maemo/MeeGo still shine compared to the competition. Now imagine what these platforms could become with a little more effort from now on.

So after we have identified strengths and weaknesses, what does Flop do?

Kill the strengths (the existing platforms), add to the weakness of always being to late by changing to a new platform (how long will this take?) and further alienating the developers (or elitists with tech snobbisness, as you prefer to call them) by telling them that "sorry, all the effort you put into our 2010-strategy with Qt etc. was in vain, we've changed our plans - again".

People here shake their heads because they instinctively understand that Flop jumped into the cold Atlantic when he had an effective fire extinguisher in his hands. - Maybe he (or even Nokia) will survive. But the platform, worth billions, is destroyed for good when it could have been saved. And it's this platform people are interested in. Not Nokia or Mr. Flop from North America.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The fact a 4 year decline is seen as a strength amazes me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining