Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
As a software freedom lover (just like many of you) and as a professional with a full time job in this field (thanks for reminding this little detail) I still ask myself what is the best work to do there. Sure, Qt and MeeGo had a chance to be at the edge of the Nokia strategy on high-end devices and this plan has changed now. But considering the size, the sophistication and the potential of innovation in the activities out of the scope of the Microsoft deal, I have no hurry to write off any of the technologies or the people I'm working with today. Any of these activities might bring a big and deep contribution to the free software community, which at the end is the main motivation of my work.
Unfortunately the hill Google and Apple have built is steep now and getting steeper. If Nokia is going to flounder around with (apparently) nothing for the next 2 years, well, I don't think that's a hole MeeGo is going to be able to dig itself out of. It's bad enough today, it aint getting better.

Despite the optimism, I don't think anybody is particularly interested in wasting their time with a, as Jaffa puts it, "step 5 of 0".

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I didn't post here to argue or to try to convince someone. I just explained what I honestly think, after being asked.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It is honestly great to see people I respect emerge and comment after all the tumult. I respect your comments, I appreciate them and I've been waiting for them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
The thing is, Quim, although your own passions are pure, you've always been the apologist for the corporate behemoth, never prepared to risk your neck and your job to do what Maemo/Meego needed for success within the stifling bureaucratic "play-it-safe" environment that Nokia seems to represent.

Of course you're perfectly entitled to do that, and I don't criticize you for it in any way.

But maybe the outcome would have been different if you'd said to your manager "Stuff you, I'm going to embrace our Maemo developers" instead of saying to us "Well, you know, for corporate reasons we are constrained to work in these disfunctional ways".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Indeed, Qt is a big competitor to MS ecosystem.
Good point. Microsoft may even be more interested in killing Qt than in growing WP7.

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by XxJacobxX View Post
Oh, can somebody add as* on the tags?
LoL well spotted.

handhelds running mame really well, GP2x (mk2), GP2x wiz, JXD s7300

Samsung galaxy note 2 owner and of course mame on that too

ex - Xbox 360 user - here is the reason -

I am back Xboxing again - and here is what i did to correct it -

***UPDATE*** now 47 months on and x-clamp fix has just failed....not a bad run

The Following User Says Thank You to Bazza For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Everything you state and talk about seems to always get pulled from under you and you probably feel totally useless, well we can only but wait and see as per usual.

On the other hand would be nice for at least one of your predictions to come true.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
The thing is, Quim, although your own passions are pure, you've always been the apologist for the corporate behemoth, never prepared to risk your neck and your job to do what Maemo/Meego needed for success within the stifling bureaucratic "play-it-safe" environment that Nokia seems to represent.
That is maybe the most inconsiderate and selfish thing I've heard from any human being in a long while. Screw you wanting your Maemo/MeeGo perfect even with the cost of another person's job. Who the hell do you think you are?

Of course you're perfectly entitled to do that, and I don't criticize you for it in any way.
You just did!

But maybe the outcome would have been different if you'd said to your manager "Stuff you, I'm going to embrace our Maemo developers" instead of saying to us "Well, you know, for corporate reasons we are constrained to work in these disfunctional ways".
You're clueless of his motives, plus you're a jerk.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
With Harmatten on the horizon, most who were paying attention knew that the N900 was going to be a dead end of sorts before we bought it. That being said, I have no regrets in buying it. It is still very useful for my purposes.
exactly. incompatibility between fremantle and harmattan was already known before N900 was released. (drm chip + capacitive screen with multitouch)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Good point. Microsoft may even be more interested in killing Qt than in growing WP7.
At this point growing WP7 by significant percentage ought to be easy: it seems the platform hasn't sold many more units than Maemo

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:

Tags
eflop, elop at a pole, tags gone awol