Active Topics

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I hope that someone associated with this site starts looking for alternative funding soon.
You're "associated" with this site. What would you suggest? I can think of a number of options OTTOMH, but don't want to overly restrict the suggestions you might make...

I would think that InternetTabletTalk would be an attactive place to find users looking for good tablets/phones.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting changing the forum back to InternetTabletTalk (or the whole of maemo.org) would help with the funding? If so, can you elaborate?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Why? geneven suggested this above. I'm afraid it makes no sense to me: this is not the place to discuss Android, WebOS or iOS devices in depth. Even if we wanted to, it doesn't have those platforms top-talent involved, so what would be the point? Every person who makes up the community is faced with a choice:
  1. Stick with Maemo until something better comes along (including Nokia scrapping the MS deal and going back to MeeGo in 3 years' time ;-))
  2. Move to a commodity Android device
  3. Move to an iOS device
  4. Move to a WebOS device
  5. Go to Nokia, or someone else's, "MeeGo device".

I'm taking option #1, because I've no idea what "something better" might be now. Maybe there'll be a cool MeeGo device from a manufacturer ploughing the funds, and their strategy, into MeeGo. Or maybe HP will start expanding the WebOS market into the EU more.

However, everyone will make their own choice. Only if everyone chose the same, and it wasn't option #1 would a rename from talk.maemo.org to internettablettalk.com seem to make sense.
I'll take 1 and 5.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
many of these other devices are already being discussed A LOT in depth here, despite Jaffa's comment above.
But this'll never be the forum for them; and us discussing them comparatively with Nokia's Maemo devices is consistent with the people, tone and name of the forum.

I don't want to try and second guess what you're suggesting, but you're not making it easy - is it that TMO -> ITT (but what about the wiki, downloads, auto-builder, packages, bugzilla & garage?) would allow a) a clearer source of revenue and b) us to compete with xda-developers, androidpit, ...?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
MohammedAG is a legend to be honest.
Let's honor this great man who has done a fantastic contribution for the N900 and this forum by changing maemo to magmo.
Many great developers on here but MAG stands out as a driving force.
He'll guide us through this time of darkness.
And Nokia slips him the complete maemo-sourcecode.

We salute you!

PS:
Not to be taken seriously but I'm very impressed with his massive contribution and influence on TMO.
Attached Images

Last edited by datjomp; 2011-02-18 at 12:18.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to datjomp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you ask enough incredulous questions, you can make anything seem impossible.

InternetTabletTalk DID exist, and Maemo.org was closely associated. That could happen again. it is not even difficult, I think.Step 1: Change the name of the site and leave everything else the way it is now. Step 2: Change the domain name.

Of course, nothing would be perfect till step 5, when perfection is guaranteed and the dead will rise from their graves and join us.

Sure, i'll contact Intel and ask them for funding. How about the council officially giving me the rights to negotiate the deal? Or spelling out whatever restrictions there might be?

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
But this'll never be the forum for them; and us discussing them comparatively with Nokia's Maemo devices is consistent with the people, tone and name of the forum.

I don't want to try and second guess what you're suggesting, but you're not making it easy - is it that TMO -> ITT (but what about the wiki, downloads, auto-builder, packages, bugzilla & garage?) would allow a) a clearer source of revenue and b) us to compete with xda-developers, androidpit, ...?
Although i agree with you about TMO i think that the council should start consider alternative funding. Not only for the site but also for the community as a whole. I know we are many that want Maemo to survive and somehow we need to prepare the organization for that.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
i think that the council should start consider alternative funding.
As I said, suggestions welcome! Any of the options I can come up with would seriously impact the users of maemo.org in one way or another. Perhaps someone can come up with something new?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
I would put up $50 for any plan to make this site not dependent on Nokia regardless of whether the name was changed.

The reason I'm so keen on InternetTabletTalk is that seems like a large potential group of users and I don't see many competing sites.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
As I said, suggestions welcome! Any of the options I can come up with would seriously impact the users of maemo.org in one way or another. Perhaps someone can come up with something new?
True. But i don't see it possible to not do anything. I am not aware of the complete TMO organization but i guess we still are dependent of Nokia. Somehow we should start thinking about how to organize and how the organization should look afterwards. Like start something similar to a non-profit organization.

I know this is not easy and that someone will need to take a lot of responsibility on his shoulders if that is our path. And that it might not even be possible. Right now we have the n770-900 as the only devices. To survive, Maemo will need to find new devices to work on. The closest bet would be Meego-devices.

The easiest way would be to start a paypal-account. But that will need an organization that can handle funding. I am not aware if we have that.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

I would contribute my $50 to a 'save Maemo.org fund' if it was controlled by some known responsible people from this site. Worst case I woud be wasting my $50.

Tags
can someone, elopcalypse, unplug him