Notices

Casper:
Not sure. My program -cannot- damage the actual bootloader etc - A reflash is what you need.
Try flashing the way I've talked about several times in this topic - without using the "u" key.
If that doesn't work, you can Cold Flash it, there's -no way- to brick the n900 via software, provided all the hardware's OK.

@m4:
Yea, I know.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Hey Robbie,

I'm sure you've already written your own script for it, but if not, here's a simple one that anyone can use to perform an online backup, compatible with BackupMenu.

It does some basic sanity checks and warns the user that they need to quiesce I/O on the phone during the backup.

I've restored from these images a couple times and all is well.

Code:
Usage: ./backup.sh <-sd|-internal>
PS - I modified your main script to modprobe ext4 before mounting the SD card and I was able to successfully restore from it.
Attached Files
File Type: gz backup.tar.gz (1.1 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by nightfire; 2011-02-19 at 05:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
hi
Really a great App.
As I've seen, it saves and restores the home directory too. I think there should be an option for that/should not do it.
(Sorry if it was mentioned earlier in the thread)

Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
Hey Robbie,
Code:
Usage: ./backup.sh <-sd|-internal>
What do you think about saving home and opt separately?

Originally Posted by sethkha View Post
What do you think about saving home and opt separately?
*edit* I misread.

I thought you meant specify opt and rootfs separately.

Opt lives in /home; I could specify /home/opt explicitly, but I'm not sure if it would have other consequences. Are you looking to be able to exclude your personal preferences in a restore, or restore only your prefs?

Here's my original reply:

Updated script attached.

Code:
5 root@glamb-n900 [~]# ./backup.sh 
./backup.sh: error: no target specified.
Usage: ./backup.sh <sd|internal> [-rootonly|-homeonly]
The default mode is specified on lines 14-15:

Code:
# Include both home and rootfs?
doHome=1
doRoot=1
Excuse the ugly syntax (options must follow backup target).. I probably should have written this script in perl and getopt, but I didn't really expect it to take on a life of its own.

If people start to use it and Robbie doesn't have his own online backup script I could rewrite this one to implement features like scheduling, or possibly a UI.
Attached Files
File Type: gz backup.tar.gz (1.2 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by nightfire; 2011-02-23 at 20:35.

Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
Opt lives in /home; I could specify /home/opt explicitly, but I'm not sure if it would have other consequences. Are you looking to be able to exclude your personal preferences in a restore, or restore only your prefs?
Sorry, home i mean /home/user.

As the procedure goes fast, I thought it would be a good idea to have two different sets of software. Sharing the same /home/user directory seems to be no problem. So i have to exclude my personal preferences in a restore. Therefore I must be able to backup/restore my personal preferences separately.

home and opt should be separated. home is user data and has nothing to do with the system itself. opt belongs to root.
Separating this in BackupMenu would improve this software with greater possibilities.

I think. Could be wrong of course.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@Robbiethe1st: sorry to bump this issue, but I hope you are going to add the feature I asked before, namely the possibility to mkfs.ext3 for the optfs. This is the single thing that would make backupmenu independent from an external device.
In fact, now if my optfs gets seriously damaged, and a fsck isn't solving the issue, the only thing I can do is reformatting it from an external pc connected through usb, using option w of backupmenu. If I could instead reformat it through backupmenu (as opposed to erasing all files - is it option e or q? that is useless in this case because it leaves the filesystem in an unstable state) everything could be done autonomously, and then restoring optfs would be a breeze.
Thanks for your attention.

so.......?

Originally Posted by sethkha View Post
so.......?
Sorry... I've had the flu for the last week.. haven't been doing much.

Ok, so there are a couple potential problems. If you restore rootfs without restoring /opt, you'll have a lot of invalid package metadata. The system will be in an ugly, inconsistent state.

If you exclude /home/user, that's probably ok.

So possibilities include:

Only /home/user (ie. just preferences)
Only rootfs, /opt
rootfs, /opt and /home/user

Does that make sense?

I'm not sure if these backups would be compatible with the way BackupMenu works (ie., I think it rm -r's /home before restoring the optfs backup), so it would take some changes to BackupMenu itself before my script could produce anything useful.

... flu ... haven't been doing much.
OK didn't want to appear impatient

If you restore rootfs without restoring /opt, you'll have a lot of invalid package metadata. The system will be in an ugly, inconsistent state.
I see no use in restoring rootfs or opt separately. It could work or not. If you had to carry the kilobytes by hand this would be an option

So possibilities include:

Only /home/user (ie. just preferences)
Only rootfs, /opt
rootfs, /opt and /home/user

Does that make sense?
I think this would be the best solution.

I'm not sure if these backups would be compatible with the way BackupMenu works (ie., I think it rm -r's /home before restoring the optfs backup), so it would take some changes to BackupMenu itself before my script could produce anything useful.
I hope RobbieThe1st will answer, as the question goes to him too. I am aware that BackupMenu has to be changed for that.

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system